AvP banned in Australia because the developer refuses to censor it

Humodour

Just wanted to point out, it's not banned, just can't be rated because the highest rating is for those 15 and under. They don't have a rating that matches the M.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Just wanted to point out, it's not banned, just can't be rated because the highest rating is for those 15 and under. They don't have a rating that matches the M.

Is there any logical reason for that, or are they just holding on to the thought that games are only for children with their teeth?

Does that even work? Do aussies just buy the banned games under the table or pirate them?

Is there any logical reason for that, or are they just holding on to the thought that games are only for children with their teeth?

I would say this is the case...

Does that even work? Do aussies just buy the banned games under the table or pirate them?

If they have same law as Germany, retailers can't sell unrated games or else they get fined by huge money... only option is to import the game then...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Actually, Kotaku made a point about it recently saying that the system was put in place back in the days when games were by almost anyones standards, childrens playthings, and thus no ratings were created for anything over the age of 15 required. The government as a whole isn't against games of any kind (well except for Mr Aktkinson), it's just that the ratings system hasn't caught up with the media as a whole.

Is it that hard to order games from online retailers in Australia?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Wrong. Unratable = Banned.

The government as a whole isn't against games of any kind (well except for Mr Aktkinson), it's just that the ratings system hasn't caught up with the media as a whole.

The law change requires approval from all the states and only Atkinson is consistently against it. So yes, immediately Atkinson is an idiot, and in a wider sense, the entire system is backward.

NZ doesn't have a fully outfitted censorship office that can rate all the games by itself, so for the most part, it copies Australia's. We didn't see a single mention of Gothic 3 anywhere, for instance, whereas GTA4 is plastered all over the place. The most famous 'banned' games were Manhunt and Postal.

Australians must have whole lot patience for putting up with crap like that.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Australians must have whole lot patience for putting up with crap like that.

Most Australians don't know and probably wouldn't care if they did. This is the fault of one man. It's ridiculous but as as the article Calax linked too points out, in the grand scheme of things games just aren't important enough for anything to change as long as this douche is in power.

Isn't it kinda strange that the game is only 2 months away from shipping and there's not a single hands-on preview, gameplay trailer or even an official website ready? Are they hiding something, or is it just the genius that is the Sega marketing department?

lol. Sounds like Alpha Protocol.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Actually I did see a hands on, on Xplay of all things. Looks pretty good, but the marines look like they're going to be hamstrung because you're not supposed to wander around alone in the single player game

If people really want the game, they'll just import it.

It's also illegal to import unrated (or more technically, 'refused classification') items. Not that anyone is likely to be caught unless stupid or unlucky but the penalties can be quite severe, IIRC, especially if you do so for distribution purposes.

Edited by Zoraptor