Dragon Age Discussion

CoM_Solaufein

i keep hearing about "unlocking" class specializations, how does this work?

you get someone to teach a class specialization to your main? (spec has to be of their class type, so my warrior cannot unlock shapeshifting etc? for future playthroughs?)

then you repeat this 3 more times till all are unlocked?

then you start a new game so you can use the specialization you want from the moment you hit level 7?

is that right? if so it would mean i need to playthrough the game twice with each class to actually be able to choose my spec at level 7?

Every class can unlock any specialization and they will remain forever unlocked once you have done it. You can even buy the specialization book, read it and then reload an earlier save and still keep the specialization from the book.

Otherwise you are correct.

ok so really you just need one playthrough to unlock everything and then all subsequent playthroughs can choose any spec at level 7? thats much better than i was afraid of.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yeah, 2 knockdown skills x 2 with a 5 sec pause between the last and first is the stuff of legend.

But you're a frickin Golem pounding on a huge-ass Ogre. What do you want them to do, Kung Fu?

@entrerix: Yeah, you can even unlock the one you want before lvl 7 on the first playthrough if you know where to get it.

Edited by Purkake

Holy **** killing that hag Flemeth at level 12 is no walk in the park. Amusingly, Imoen-chick saved my bacon in the end and delivered the killing blow/shot.

In hindsight, that Bastila-reincarnation that is Morrigan isn't even worth all that trouble.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Anyone know how to deal with Myaja (retrieving those love letters) if one has a low lockpick/steal skill?

in before: "Google is your friend", I searched and didn't get an answer I was looking for.

Edited by Syraxis

I found it rather easy to avoid the fight with Flemeth. I'm pretty sure it will lead to something entertaining.

I wanted to see if I could take her.

With more health poultices, and Wynne having some decent offensive spells aside from Stonefist, the battle would've been more comfortable.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Anyone know how to deal with Myaja (retrieving those love letters) if one has a low lockpick/steal skill?

in before: "Google is your friend", I searched and didn't get an answer I was looking for.

Never mind, I found a use for Leliana (first time ever in fact.)

Nope, I'm looking at get-up animations. A bad stand up comedy if you will.

eh? am thinking you miss the point. am imagining that golems is 'posed to look clumsy. furthermore, golems has gotta have some drawback or there wouldn't be no challenge at all. have your golem spring up off the mat like some chinese gymnast would not only look silly, but it would be unfair. just as the big 2-h weapons is ponderous/ridiculous slow, so too is your golem.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So I finally got to the ending in DA, so I can again hang around in forums without having to be afraid of spoilers.

In short, the game was a disappointment for me. Sure, it had it's moments, but generally DA feels like a mixture of NWN2 OC and a traditional Bioware game. As in, often boring, doesn't have anything new and doesn't really have much improvements on the old things. Like in NWN2 OC, I see lost potential almost everywhere. I might play it sometime again as rotten bastard, maybe that would be more fun. Hopefully you guys like DA more than I did :lol:

Edited by Slinky

i've been using leliana as a dual wielding backstabber and she's doing ok so far, just make sure you start things off with your warriors and have them threaten. i've got leliana using a sword and dagger combo and she does a decent amount of damage. really its exactly what i would have expected a rogue to be doing as far as efficacy goes, maybe im not playing a hard enough setting to notice her ineffectiveness? (i also am still just starting out)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So I finally got to the ending in DA, so I can again hang around in forums without having to be afraid of spoilers.

In short, the game was a disappointment for me. Sure, it had it's moments, but generally DA feels like a mixture of NWN2 OC and a traditional Bioware game. As in, often boring, doesn't have anything new and doesn't really have much improvements on the old things. Like in NWN2 OC, I see lost potential almost everywhere. I might play it sometime again as rotten bastard, maybe that would be more fun. Hopefully you guys like DA more than I did :lol:

i think the first 10 hours of dragon age is twice as good as the first ten hours of nwn 2 oc. and i can't speak to the rest of it as i've never been able to finish nwn2 oc (once the trial is over i cant muster up anymore interest in the story) and im only 10 hours into dragon age.

it doesnt feel anything like jade empire, kotor, or mass effect to me, it feels more like a mix of nwn (1 or 2) and baldurs gate (in that you actually have to pay attention or you might die - something that NEVER happened in any bioware game since bg2 for me) with better writing and voice acting than any of the above except bg2

What was it you found disappointing?

Well, I try to make a short list:

-Nothing really matters in the end (once again). The much hyped choice/consequence doesn't seem to be included in my copy.. Okay there is a few, but I really expected more.

-Companions aren't much more than robots (once again). When something rather big happens and nobody says a word, it's like a "Hey! You are playing a computer game!" -text would suddenly smack in to my face. Does horrible things to immersion.

-Wayyyy too much combat. I don't play RPG's only so I can swing things with an axe. If I have to spend hours repeating the pattern go to door, open it, kill the mob inside, go to next door and repeat and repeat and repeat I WILL get bored. Only the Circle Tower was a happy suprise. I generally like much more small fights against strong foes now and then, than having to constantly kill mobs again and again.

-The more mature world thing... I guess the meaning of "mature" depends who you ask..

I guess I just fell victim to the hype.

-Nothing really matters in the end (once again). The much hyped choice/consequence doesn't seem to be included in my copy.. Okay there is a few, but I really expected more.

I don't know... I guess we can always hope for more (I do too), but I did enjoy the Fallout-esque summaries of the character's and locations you visit at the end. I also enjoyed dealing with Redcliffe's situation, especially since I didn't know of the third option at that time.

-Companions aren't much more than robots (once again). When something rather big happens and nobody says a word, it's like a "Hey! You are playing a computer game!" -text would suddenly smack in to my face. Does horrible things to immersion.

What would be an example? I know it won't be perfect, but going back to Redcliffe, I was happy to see myself get a verbal lashing from Alistair at the party camp after my solution.

-Wayyyy too much combat. I don't play RPG's only so I can swing things with an axe. If I have to spend hours repeating the pattern go to door, open it, kill the mob inside, go to next door and repeat and repeat and repeat I WILL get bored. Only the Circle Tower was a happy suprise. I generally like much more small fights against strong foes now and then, than having to constantly kill mobs again and again.

That's fair, it is a combat heavy game for sure.

-The more mature world thing... I guess the meaning of "mature" depends who you ask..

I think it's mature in that it's dark, where sometimes the choice you make is the lesser of two evils (or greater, if you prefer). There have actually been posts on the main board of people complaining that it's TOO dark and depressing, so I guess your mileage may vary.

That said, the game certainly has its silly moments, so it's definitely not serious all the time.

Edited by alanschu

-"Wayyyy too much combat. I don't play RPG's only so I can swing things with an axe. If I have to spend hours repeating the pattern go to door, open it, kill the mob inside, go to next door and repeat and repeat and repeat I WILL get bored. "

Let me guess.. your favorite RPGs are BG, FO, GBG, PST,and ES series.. all games with extremely heavy combat.

-"The more mature world thing... I guess the meaning of "mature" depends who you ask.."

While some things are definitely on the immature or at leats not mature side (splattering blood/sex scenes) there is plenty of mature stuff espicially dealing with tough choices. There's SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER, AND SPOILER, THEN SPOILER THEN SPOILER AS WELL AS SPOILER.

"The much hyped choice/consequence doesn't seem to be included in my copy.."

I'm not at end game, but there's been quite a few C&C. No less than any other RPG I have ver played barring the FO series.

"Companions aren't much more than robots (once again). "

That must explain why companions will leave you, or even attack you if you make certain decisions. Not exactly robotic.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm loving Dragon Age, but I'd say it is more combat heavy than the last few Bioware games. In fact I was really feeling like Orzimar and the Deep Roads were a bit of a grind, but the reward at the end was worth it. What I'm really enjoying is the tough moral choices, like the dwarf one:

In Orzimar (or however you spell it) I had to make a choice on who to back for the crown. Now there Bhelen, who is cutthroat and aggressive. He may have killed his father, he definitely was hungry for power. But he also is with my sister and is the father to my nephew. I know the other guy was a decent fellow, but I had to go with family. Still, I cringed a bit at the end when he was crowned.

"I'm loving Dragon Age, but I'd say it is more combat heavy than the last few Bioware games."

This is true; but all RPgs are combat heavy anyways so a complaint of 'it's combat hevay' doesn't impress me. The main thing should be if the combat is fun. If you don't like the combat, then one fight is too much. If you like the combat, then it should be fine.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.