What Are You Playing Now?

I finally got around to digging into Men of War awhile ago, and was quite impressed. Your soldiers can take corner cover, gears of war style, and that's good because the lethality is through the roof. There are edges around which the game is rough, but overall I like. Will probably pick up the sequel/expansion someday.

I'm finally trying out Rome:Total War, after hearing so much about it.

....strategy complexity seems nice & the battles are kinda cool, but the world map interface...I do not like at all. Well, maybe I'll get used to it & think it's the best ever. Sometimes a game that initially makes me go "hrmmm" I end up obsessing over for weeks...

There goes the next six months of your life. Check out some of the mods for it.

sonsofgygax.JPG

We winished Borderlands tonight, just now. Lovely free-roaming experience, which had nice last two hours, but one very disappointing end sequence and a lousy plot coherence. It was just...there, vague and unsatisfying, despite the really decent build up of excitement the game had been garnering for the last ten hours. I have to admit that finally getting to the Vault was very satisfying, but the end boss...well, no.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Never have I been playing so many "new" games at once.

Mass Effect (Halfway through maybe? BIO is definitely good at cinematic)

Crysis (now that I have a PC that can run it on max settings)

Mirror's Edge (Just started, seems pretty awesome so far)

Street Fighter 4 (Ok, I've been playing this one for a while now, but it rawks).

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Loaded up the PTR of WoW.

Looks like they're gonna have one heck of a confrontation with Arthas

Also Uncharted 2 is friggin awesome on so many levels it's deadly.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Dragon Age.

Getting far with the romance with Leliana. We kissed.

Game play I am pretty far into the game. I need to go to the dwarves and ask for help in fighting the darkspawn. I already asked for help with the other factions in the game.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm finally trying out Rome:Total War, after hearing so much about it.

....strategy complexity seems nice & the battles are kinda cool, but the world map interface...I do not like at all. Well, maybe I'll get used to it & think it's the best ever. Sometimes a game that initially makes me go "hrmmm" I end up obsessing over for weeks...

There goes the next six months of your life. Check out some of the mods for it.

Yeah, without mods the game is a bit... soulless. Or maybe I'm just spoiled.

Don't forget to set "unit size" to the max, for increased awesomeness. Downside is you need to start a new game for the changes to take effect. :wacko:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Played Left 4 Dead for a few hours... what a terribly boring game.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Played the L4D2 demo as well, didn't really like it all that much. The aiming feels off for some reason, I'm sure it's fun with a bunch of friends, but otherwise not so much.

It's too responsive and feels more suited for consoles.. in the original you had some "blur" in the movement causing your aim to keep some of the momentum, just enough for it too feel natural. Now it stops immediately, which feels unnatural.

Fortune favors the bald.

i would, without a doubt, say that left 4 dead is the single LEAST boring game I have EVER played. full stop.

That said, i cant imagine liking it if i didnt have a team of really awesome friends to play with.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Played the L4D2 demo as well, didn't really like it all that much. The aiming feels off for some reason, I'm sure it's fun with a bunch of friends, but otherwise not so much.

It's too responsive and feels more suited for consoles.. in the original you had some "blur" in the movement causing your aim to keep some of the momentum, just enough for it too feel natural. Now it stops immediately, which feels unnatural.

Are you referring to mouse smoothing so that when you stop, your crosshair does NOT immediately stop?

i would, without a doubt, say that left 4 dead is the single LEAST boring game I have EVER played. full stop.

That said, i cant imagine liking it if i didnt have a team of really awesome friends to play with.

That's the thing, the game itself is just... boring, lame. Sure, you could add friends, but then that means the friends are what make the game fun, not the game itself.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

That's the thing, the game itself is just... boring, lame. Sure, you could add friends, but then that means the friends are what make the game fun, not the game itself.

no way, its the heart-pounding, adrenaline flowing vs matches. the ones where the score is going back and forth and everytime you hear a boomer or hunter the whole team tightens up and your senses are on overdrive trying to cover as much ground as possible while checking every corner to prevent ambush...

or when you've got the other team on the ropes, one of them is incapped on the ground and youve got two hunters still up and a boomer about to spawn in 5 seconds... AGHHH

just thinking about it gets my blood pumping like crazy. nothing so exhilerating as beating a team thats maybe just a little better than yours but you've coordinated and executed a perfect attack and got a little random luck thrown in there too

still though, its a competitive team based game, if you dont have one then you arent really playing the same game

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Meh Borderlands has gotten a bit stale now. Off to make more ISK in W-space in EVE, huzzah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished Uncharted 2... the ending didn't seem like a very good climax, but it worked. Also the characters do grow on you, unlike what some people say.

As to the L4D thing, I found that it's good in short bursts with friends but otherwise it's just annoying to do it again and again because of the sameness of each map and the ability to predict the ai.

Also found this in WoW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98uDkyzVvSc...player_embedded

and yes... it actually has an effect in game... makes your head into Mr. T's nightelf mowhawk

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah exactly.
That's called mouse acceleration and it ****ing sucks. It makes pinpoint aiming so much harder.

You can probably find a .ini tweak or somesuch to activate it if you really want to... but I can't see why you would want to make the controls less responsive.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm installing Galactic Civilizations I as I bought it for $0.99 via Impulse -it's still on sale if you use this code: GC1ULTIMATE99- and playing Overlord I while I wait for that to get done. Overlord II is also waiting in the wings just in case I need something else to play. :)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot