What Are You Playing Now?

From the Giantbomb quicklook I'd say that the whole daylight thing isn't really working and the new characters seem somewhat unnecessary.

I haven't played more than the demo of L4D 1, so I'm just guessing here.

neither of those would make a great game horrible.... unless the new characters were SO annoying that the entire game was unfun?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Obviously it's not "horrible" it's a Valve game and probably no worse than the original. I think everyone is still pissed about the quick release and it being basically extra content instead of a whole new game.

Everyone whined about L4D as well, but not too much, because they expected Valve to follow up with lots of new stuff and fixes instead of a new game.

oh. its so weird, everyone i know LOVES left 4 dead and cannot wait for the sequel, but when i go online it seems like everyone hates it. yet it and the sequel are huge sellers on steam...

is it just a handful of noisy wierdos making a ruckus about stuff most people are happy about?

i can see people complaining that it should be an expansion pack and only cost 30$ instead of 50$, but frankly imo, five new campaigns when the original only had 4 ... that sounds like it should cost full price to me.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well, I just want them to get on with Episode 3 and Portal 2.

There is only so much you can do with the L4D formula, I really don't want to see L4D5 with a few new areas and a new cast of lame characters.

Edited by Purkake

Well, I just want them to get on with Episode 3 and Portal 2.

There is only so much you can do with the L4D formula, I really don't want to see L4D5 with a few new areas and a new cast of lame characters.

damn straight on ep 3 and portal 2!

i'm not sure how i feel about more left 4 dead sequels... the only thing i want right now are more campaigns, and left 4 dead 2 will give me those, but maybe after i sink another 200 hours into the series i will be demanding/wanting a sequel with MORE than just new content... its the problem all sequels have though, especially non-rpgs... look at the devil may cry series, each game is very very similar to the prior, and yet people seem to be happy with one release every 2 years or so, so why wouldnt that work for left 4 dead?

another example: we both cant wait for ep 3, even though its basically the same gameplay as half life 2, ep 1, and ep 2. part of it is new storyline, but also, heck - we just want more of the same gameplay but with some new trappings thrown in there too.

counter examples exist though im sure, a sequel thats basically the same game and it sucked because it lacked innovation (or worse, making "changes" which weaken the play experience instead of improving it)

left 4 dead doesnt appear to be in that group though, not yet anyway, but maybe l4d3 or 4 might reach that level... i'll let you know how i feel in 6 months after i've thoroughly played part 2

;)

whats horrible about it?

It feels like a badly-made mod of Left 4 Dead. ;)

Obviously it's not "horrible" it's a Valve game...

Yeah... Because Valve is incapable of making bad games. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

My main problem is that Valve has limited resources and I'd like more new innovative games like Portal was and each of the HL2 episodes does something new as well in addition to the storyline. It will be all downhill if they decide to sit on a cashcow and crap out sequels every year. I'm certainly not suggesting that it's the case at the moment, but releasing L4D2 after a year and still working on EP3 is kind of worrying.

Obviously it's not "horrible" it's a Valve game...

Yeah... Because Valve is incapable of making bad games. ;)

I'm sure you'd agree that their track record is pretty good at this point.

It's only "horrible" if you thought that L4D was horrible.

Edited by Purkake

whats horrible about it?

It feels like a badly-made mod of Left 4 Dead. ;)

so the level design is bad?

thats unfortunate, i'd been hearing that was going to be one of the highlights of the new game

ok bad level design would justify the game being a failure, if all i want are new campaigns, and the new campaigns are terribly designed... well... not much point in getting the game then is there...

i guess i need to play the demo for myself now instead of just assuming that the designers could make more good levels.

If you just want new campaigns then I'd recommend you download some of the L4D maps out there - some of them are actually rather good. :thumbsup:

i never play my pc copy, my real life friends play xbox and so i am forced to deal with shooting things on a pad, i got used to it after about 40 hours of pain.

and its worth the pain to be able to play with a genuine team of actual friends.

they've already pre-ordered so i have a feeling i'll be ending up getting it anyway...

team BEAK for the win....

Edited by entrerix

ok bad level design would justify the game being a failure, if all i want are new campaigns, and the new campaigns are terribly designed... well... not much point in getting the game then is there...

i guess i need to play the demo for myself now instead of just assuming that the designers could make more good levels.

Parish, the map in the demo actually has a cool level design imo. You fight through the streets of a city that seems like it was just hit by the zombies a few days ago and everyone has become infected or fled, while in the original you really felt left behind.. So it's true that you aren't as scared as in Left 4 Dead, because of it being the day and you see more of the military, other people etc than you do in the original (not like they are helping you though). This gives you a greater sense of urgency however to reach them before you are indeed left 4 dead..

The game has a very south-state feel to it. It could throw away some of the silliness if you ask me.. Using guitars and cooking pots as melee weapons seems out of place. Luckily you can leave them on the ground and use whatever you want instead.

Fortune favors the bald.

oh. its so weird, everyone i know LOVES left 4 dead and cannot wait for the sequel, but when i go online it seems like everyone hates it. yet it and the sequel are huge sellers on steam...

is it just a handful of noisy wierdos making a ruckus about stuff most people are happy about?

Don't forget, they "have" to buy it to try it out.

I like the extra freedom you get due to lack of gravity, however you can cling on to surfaces from any angle and walk due to your magnetic boots, and strategically positioning yourself on a space rock in order to get a decent sniping position is cool, as is simply flying along with your squad in formation via jetpacks.

All you get is an online server browser and no singleplayer though

Dragon Age. So far meh. We'll see as time goes on.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

the first of the levels in the demo was pretty meh, i liked the second one though. it felt really short to me, but what do i know. i do not like the levels being in the daytime though, but it sounds like only 1 of the 5 campaigns takes place during the day.

I'm finally trying out Rome:Total War, after hearing so much about it.

....strategy complexity seems nice & the battles are kinda cool, but the world map interface...I do not like at all. Well, maybe I'll get used to it & think it's the best ever. Sometimes a game that initially makes me go "hrmmm" I end up obsessing over for weeks...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm finally trying out Rome:Total War, after hearing so much about it.

....strategy complexity seems nice & the battles are kinda cool, but the world map interface...I do not like at all. Well, maybe I'll get used to it & think it's the best ever. Sometimes a game that initially makes me go "hrmmm" I end up obsessing over for weeks...

the map takes quite a bit of getting used to but once you're used to it it's crazy fun.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Finished off Dragon Age, so back to Borderlands co-op while I try to find something to code.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra