The Nobel Peace prize goes to Barack Obama

Meshugger

I was referring to the principle. Prodigal sons etc.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This is absolutely incredible. It is offensively calculating and political. "Right wing nuts?" What rational person can take this decision seriously?

Are you saying they don't exist? When people tell me that liberals are the source of all evil and Obama is the anti-christ it leads me to believe they don't exactly have a genius IQ. I'm not saying democrats don't have their share of crazies ("Bush will be dictator for life!" people) but some people definitly are nuts.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

This is absolutely incredible. It is offensively calculating and political. "Right wing nuts?" What rational person can take this decision seriously?

Are you saying they don't exist? When people tell me that liberals are the source of all evil and Obama is the anti-christ it leads me to believe they don't exactly have a genius IQ. I'm not saying democrats don't have their share of crazies ("Bush will be dictator for life!" people) but some people definitly are nuts.

No, doofus, I'm saying that you don't have to be a right wing nut to think the award is just plain nuts. I know a lot of right wing nuts. I also know a lot of right wing rational people, just like I know lefty nuts and left wing rational people. It's fairly hard to get me personally riled about politics, but I do see a lot of political decisions and either scratch my head or even rail against them.

EDIT: And I see Wrathie pretty much answered correctly for me.

Edited by Aristes

I did hear a funny bit on the radio today about him having a good shot at the Cy Young award as well after he threw out the opening pitch earlier in the year.

I hear he's also in line for the Nobel Prize in economics for solving our unemployment and deficit spending problems and solving the housing crisis. Oh wait, he has only made those worse too. What the hell, give it to him anyway.

By the way, when can I expect my Pulitzer for the book I haven't finished writing yet?

Thank you for that encouraging statement.

On Topic- I sincerely believe that OSAMA BIN LADEN deserves this more than BarOHHHHHHGHHGHck ObOMBAMERICAa

Exaggerated, but only slightly.

Edited by kingofsquid

Oh. I understood the post better once I had that in my mind.

I don't really think he deserved the thing but I also don't think half the people who ever get an award really deserve them.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

The Nobel Peace Prize should stand for something a little more... nobler. The prize has been a joke for a long time unfortunately.

This. For decades...nothing new about this.

I can personally understand/sympathize with the idea that Obama (in some circles/countries) is seen as a much bigger symbol of hope and potential US rationality than, say, his own country does, but that doesn't mean he should be given a symbolic prize of peace just yet. Especially since he was actually nominated for it, what, 1 month into his holding the office?

I don't find it abhorrent or outrageous or an injustice or something extreme like that...but it is...silly. o:)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The question is if the prize should attempt to further peace or just reward those efforts after the fact. If you decide to try and be creative and proactive you could easily wind up honoring the wrong people. It's a tightrope act, and they have failed quite a number of times. Philosophically though, I agree with the stance.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Huhbuwha?

Are you criticizing his acquisition of the Nobel Prize from the left, that is, saying "Why did he get the Nobel prize right when he was about to meet with all his top generals and plan to kill Afghani civilians?"

Or are you criticizing it from the right, that is, saying "Why did he get the Nobel prize when he's abandoning the War on Terror on behalf of his musselman brothers?"

Edited by lord of flies

Way too early to even consider Obama for the award. That said, this award has been a joke for decades, and is pretty much fake and political in nature, anyways. The past recipients are evidence of this.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

He hasn't done anything to merit him recieving a Nobel Prize, or any other sort of prize for that matter.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Think this devalues the great men and women who actually deserved their awards? :)

This seems like an award a grampa would give to his soon for most improved, and that this award will just encourage the kid to keep trying :lol: I think obama is a nice guy but he hasn't deserved this yet for all i know, which isn't very much!

Damn. I nearly choked on my ice water when I heard about this. Y'all realize that Obama must have been on the "short list" a year ago, before he was even elected? I mean, good Lord.

Look, I hope that history will show Obama's presidency as the most successful in recent memory. After he gets his sea legs and, you know, actually does something, that may very well be true. So far all he's done is jaunt around the world, give speeches and hit every tv program that will book him in what seems a lot like a continuation of his presidential campaign. I'd love to have Obama get the Nobel Peace Prize... but I'd sure like him to do something, anything, to earn it first.

I saw a professor on the BBC actuyally seriously saying that it was OK to award teh prize now because new initatives ghave been begun under Obama. Like hell they have. Anyone with more than passing acquaintance knows that overtures were in the works to Iran and Algeria (to take a couple of examples) at least a year before he ever got into office. I haven't time to link to the features, but just think about it. Diplomacy doesn't happen overnight. Especially not in such a bureaucratic system as the State Department.

Frankly this is such an ill-judged award I'm seriously tempted to consider it an attack on him.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sarkozy said it best I believe. "Obama's Nobel Peace Prize marks 'America's return to the hearts of the people of the world." Most countries did not like bush and Obama is a VAST improvement.

Heh. The polls taken in Australia during his election, on who would be preferred if Australians were voting, had numbers like 70% for Obama and 20% for McCain. In Australia, and I suspect much of Europe, the Democrats would take up the position currently occupied by the resident right-wing party.

Anyway, Nobel prizes are silly and they don't award the real intellectual discipline anyway - maths. Give me a Fields medal any day. Although I suppose an Abel prize is a more direct analogue now days.

Sarkozy said it best I believe. "Obama's Nobel Peace Prize marks 'America's return to the hearts of the people of the world." Most countries did not like bush and Obama is a VAST improvement.
Cute. Apparently, now the job of the US President is to be Mr. Nice Guy. I suppose that, by extension, the US should be the world's largest charity organization. Oh wait...

He's a VAST improvement only in PR. So far he has done nothing. Except stepping up UAV assassination strikes in Pakistan.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.