EXTRA EXTRA!

Calax

I saw the box a few weeks ago in a hypermarket, and the front of the package clearly reads Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics with their respective logos. I find this kind of conduct sickening, especially after how much money they made. (Besides, 8 million or so people bought the game outright, so it's not like there are a lot of folks left to make the mistake.)

fallout_lawsuit.jpg

Edited by Oner

They just want the IP, because when they purchased rights for Fallout IP only for single player games,

How is that more believable than them wanting the IP to make money from it?

They may want to make money from it, but they may also want to make sure no one else makes money off of it (or creates what could be a competing product with the IP)

The point is they don't just "want the IP". They wouldn't get into a lawsuit with Interplay over this (which costs money - millions probably) unless they wanted to make an MMO or felt IPLY would destroy the brand image (which is laughable since Bethesda do that well enough on their own). Recall Bethesda already owns most of the IP and is essentially renting it to IPLY (for royalties IIRC).

Edited by Krezack

Even if Bethesda has no interest in a MMO, it makes sense to exercise their (presumed) contractual right to prevent it. They don't want to see a sub-par product on the shelf next to their future Fallout titles, detracting from the overall value of the brand name. (Dare I mention FOBOS?)

Even if Bethesda has no interest in a MMO, it makes sense to exercise their (presumed) contractual right to prevent it. They don't want to see a sub-par product on the shelf next to their future Fallout titles, detracting from the overall value of the brand name. (Dare I mention FOBOS?)

Oh shi- someone mentioned FOBOS. This thread is doomed.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

They don't want to see a sub-par product on the shelf next to their future Fallout titles, detracting from the overall value of the brand name. (Dare I mention FOBOS?)

Funny. FO3 is already pretty subpar.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Have you guys read the Let's play thread on the Codex? It was hilarious! Even though the exploration aspect seems interesting (it could be bland though from all the videos I have seen), the writing and humor are horrible and main story laughable. I can't figure out how lamer Beth could become...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

What is fobos?

I've never played it, but judging by the general feedback, I would say it is the video game version of an Uwe Boll production...

Fobos

More Fobos

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They don't want to see a sub-par product on the shelf next to their future Fallout titles, detracting from the overall value of the brand name. (Dare I mention FOBOS?)

Funny. FO3 is already pretty subpar.

And yet none of the people that count (reviewers who do it professionally) seem to agree. and while there is a demographic that will hate everything (not saying it's the same demographic here) it generally is ignored if the people who's job it is to say "This is good, that is bad" says "this is good". People are sheep, if they see high review scores on meta critic they'll buy that sucker faster than you can say cheese.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I really don't consider Fallout 3 subpar. I find it a rather enjoyable game, better than most titles that have been released in the last two to three years. Those who bring hate on Fallout 3 are just people stuck in the past and thusly should be ignored.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I saw the box a few weeks ago in a hypermarket, and the front of the package clearly reads Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics with their respective logos.

So?

I agree with Matthew that it's absurd to call something the "Fallout Trilogy" that doesn't include Fallout 3.

Sounds to me like Interplay is trying to cash in on the success of Fallout 3. It's irrelevant that they state the three games, as it's disingenuous to refer to it as the Fallout Trilogy. It'd be positively ludicrous, and probably even more liable, if they didn't.

I saw the box a few weeks ago in a hypermarket, and the front of the package clearly reads Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics with their respective logos.

So?

So you have to be blind or retarded to mix them up.

So?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a trilogy contain 1,2,3? Not 1,2 and a spin off.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I actually bought the Fallout Trilogy recently, and I had a completely different box cover from the ones shown. In fact, when I first saw it, I was shocked because I thought it was a bit early to put Fallout 3 in a combo pack. I had to look closely to see that it was Tactics as the third title.

So yeah, it is misleading.

I actually bought the Fallout Trilogy recently, and I had a completely different box cover from the ones shown. In fact, when I first saw it, I was shocked because I thought it was a bit early to put Fallout 3 in a combo pack. I had to look closely to see that it was Tactics as the third title.

So yeah, it is misleading.

Maybe you're just dumb. :down:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Pre-Oblivion Bethesda didn't have bad writing. At all.

QUite. Oblivion was this apocaylptic dive into the abyss of awfulness. Nobody could have expected that after Morrowind. WHich wasn't a great game and had problems, but still...

Fallout 3 was something of a recovery.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I really don't consider Fallout 3 subpar. I find it a rather enjoyable game, better than most titles that have been released in the last two to three years. Those who bring hate on Fallout 3 are just people stuck in the past and thusly should be ignored.

I don't think its a terrible game. But its hardly a shining beacon of rpg-goodness.

Frankly, if people pick up the Fallout trilogy, instead of Fallout 3, they are probably getting three better games. For less.

So?

Or someone that has heard about a very popular new game called "Fallout 3" that is buying the "Fallout Trilogy" as a gift for someone. It would mean that you would have to know that Fallout: Tactics, is not Fallout 3.

Of course YOU know the difference. You're familiar with the other games.

So?

Or someone that has heard about a very popular new game called "Fallout 3" that is buying the "Fallout Trilogy" as a gift for someone. It would mean that you would have to know that Fallout: Tactics, is not Fallout 3.

Of course YOU know the difference. You're familiar with the other games.

Yep. They could have stuck with the Fallout Collection as a title, but they chose to use Trilogy in the name because of what it implies, it's not an innocent move. It's like all those z-grade knock-offs of popular blockbusters that C. Thomas Howell seems to be in nowadays. Of course people like us who spend a whole lot of time thinking about games and looking up about them and talking about them on the net aren't going to be fooled, but that's beside the point. Hardly surprising though, that people take the opportunity to whine about the big bad Bethesda.

Hardly surprising though, that people take the opportunity to whine about the big bad Bethesda.
I said the constant suing is sickening, which is hardly whining.

They are both pretty standard business lawsuits, they aren't frivolous. The first one, the MMO, was a contractual situation and Interplay knew it was coming. The second one has Interplay attempting to make money off Bethesda's product by releasing a 'trilogy'. What, do you want them to just hug it out? Bethesda is running a business here.