EXTRA EXTRA!

Calax

Hardly surprising though, that people take the opportunity to whine about the big bad Bethesda.
I said the constant suing is sickening, which is hardly whining.

I'm not aware of Bethesda having a history has a particularly litigious company. Interplay on the other hand ... I think you need to consider whose pattern these lawsuits fit into.

Shame there's no way they both can lose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Interplay kept the MMO right under the condition they release an MMO until sometime 2010. Beth started suing them this April, they hardly had it coming yet.

MMO's take years to develop, so they should have been able to show some sort of progress by now. According to the lawsuit Interplay has been twiddling their thumbs for awhile, which isn't hard to believe at all.

Interplay kept the MMO right under the condition they release an MMO until sometime 2010. Beth started suing them this April, they hardly had it coming yet.

They had until April 09 to secure funding for an MMO which they failed to do.

They had until April 09 to secure funding for an MMO which they failed to do.

Nope, they loaned from banks a lot.

I'm not even thinking of Herve as a failed game developer.

The financial situation of Interplay surely must scream "High Risk."

Even if they secured funding, I'm sure Bethesda is looking at it from a "what you have isn't good enough" perspective.

I'm not aware of Bethesda having a history has a particularly litigious company. Interplay on the other hand ... I think you need to consider whose pattern these lawsuits fit into.

I haven't followed Beth's history, but I know they've previously sued to kill the P&P version of Fallout (authorised by iply prior to selling the IP to Zenimax), threatened to sue replacement docs for carrying their games' manuals and threatened abandonware sites for carrying their old games. Not that they aren't necessarily justified- the replacement docs and abandonware ones are certainly well within their rights- but they are pretty litigious for their size.

I haven't followed Beth's history, but I know they've previously sued to kill the P&P version of Fallout (authorised by iply prior to selling the IP to Zenimax), threatened to sue replacement docs for carrying their games' manuals and threatened abandonware sites for carrying their old games. Not that they aren't necessarily justified- the replacement docs and abandonware ones are certainly well within their rights- but they are pretty litigious for their size.

I don't think Beth actually sued Glutton Creeper for the Fallout PnP. They just sent some cease and desist papers and GC gave in.

You have to keep in mind that Interplay is trying hard to milk every last dime out of the Fallout license, rather than just handing over the IP to Bethesda for a reasonable price. Beth paid a lot to get Fallout 3 originally, and then they did all the work to revive the franchise. I know a lot of folks aren't happy with Bethesda having the rights to Fallout, but I'd say Interplay has been a much worse steward of the Fallout universe.

It was either Bethesda or Activision or EA who would have gotten the Fallout IP in the end. Which one do you prefer?

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Fallout would still be in the hands of the antichrist.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"