Dragon Age Origins

I don't get the point of brothels - you go in, lose cash, the screen goes black and that's it. Nothing to see at all. What a waste of fictional money.

Not that we're going to be lacking much in DA - Morrigan is so pushy, you would think she's Abigail's (*the Witcher) sister or something.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Oh, you have to pay for the sex in 'romance.' Just look at having that harpy Jaheira in your party. Might be the number one reason I despise romances in my computer games. Bitch. I eventually stripped her buck naked and sent her forth into glorious battle.

:grin:

Jaheria's fate in about 75% of my games, unless I need a moody druid with crap stats.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Looked at the screenies on the German 'focus-on-making-expressionless-elf-chick-characters' DA article.

I rather like the character sheet, I even like streamlined skill trees. But even the character sheet has freaking blood spattering on it. I'm calling my character Dexter, for chirssakes.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yes they're really pushing the blood design. I think the sword slash-dragon-ea logo is one of the more disgusting and pointless things I've seen lately.

Electronic Arts delenda est.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Oh, you have to pay for the sex in 'romance.' Just look at having that harpy Jaheira in your party. Might be the number one reason I despise romances in my computer games. Bitch. I eventually stripped her buck naked and sent her forth into glorious battle.

:grin:

Jaheria's fate in about 75% of my games, unless I need a moody druid with crap stats.

I "loved" how she whined when I dared to do good in her presence.

I think DLC with a price is a horrible thing to happen to gaming. I hate it. I mean, not in theory, but as a business model it's undermining the sorts of games I like to see.

I agree completely. Sadly, I think its going to get more more popular among publishers and developers since it's such a good deal for them.

It's a crappy deal for gamers though.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Maybe someone can explain the MMO style buying-loot system they are implementing here, even I can see why the Bioboard regulars are hacked off.

Bio are the Starbucks of the computer gaming, they really are. That's $5 dollars for a muffin, six if you want choc chips, seven if you want us to light a scented candle while you eat it!

So much bitterness in this thread.... what a pleasant community.

There's DLC (A character+quests and Mass Effect 2 Armor) in regular and CE versions free of charge only with new copies. There's only one confirmed exclusive DLC, the "Watcher's Keep" thing that only comes with the digital CE version, and I think that'll be available for anyone else who wants to buy it. It's apparently of Fallout 3 DLC length or greater. The rest are little useless trinkets from retailers or stupid CE items.

I assume all this stuff is just the intro to their DLC plans designed to return some piracy or used game sale losses around launch, and then they'll roll out some expansion content. The evil bastards.

At 4am, that made me stifle a laugh lest I wake the dragonvifen and she beat my hairy backside. "play guitar with us"

Seriously, I don't think we're all that bitter around here. Most of us want to play the game, after all.

I don't mind DLC per se. It's just the chances of actually playing any of it is pretty minimal. Since this is a single player game (Huzzah for Bioware!), it really doesn't matter if I don't get the uber overpower pike of nose picking. After all, I'm sure I can kick ass with whatever I find. It's just that I don't want any delay getting a good expansion or a new game because they're tricking to pick the original game's carcass clean like vultures in the Serengeti.

^ For 'bitterness' I presume you mean a lack of slavish fanboy adoration for Bioware?

Mate, go and check out RPG Codex then come back, sit round the fire and play the guitar with us.

You are an evil one, luring someone innocent to the RPG hate machine itself :shifty:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Guest Slinky
^ For 'bitterness' I presume you mean a lack of slavish fanboy adoration for Bioware?

Mate, go and check out RPG Codex then come back, sit round the fire and play the guitar with us.

You are an evil one, luring someone innocent to the RPG hate machine itself :shifty:

Somethings you must see with your own eyes to see the big picture.

And for this bitterness, people are just expressing their opinions. I would love to see a another game like Torment, but I don't mind the black & white stuff bioware does. I will very likely like Dragon Age a lot.

Somethings you must see with your own eyes to see the big picture.

And for this bitterness, people are just expressing their opinions. I would love to see a another game like Torment, but I don't mind the black & white stuff bioware does. I will very likely like Dragon Age a lot.

It didn't use to be so black & white. That's what bother's me most. Sure Baldurs Gate had more or less two paths through the story, but the choice (of what to do with the throne of Bhaal) never came off as a blunt good and evil thing - I thought it was not about saving the worldTM but about making a personal choice. After that it was save the galaxy, save china, save the universe and hopefully it wont be save Ferdelen.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Guest Slinky
It didn't use to be so black & white. That's what bother's me most. Sure Baldurs Gate had more or less two paths through the story, but the choice (of what to do with the throne of Bhaal) never came off as a blunt good and evil thing - I thought it was not about saving the worldTM but about making a personal choice. After that it was save the galaxy, save china, save the universe and hopefully it wont be save Ferdelen.

Yes well.. I guess it's easier to make save everything-storys and sell them. I don't think Dragon Age is going to be as B&W as Mass Effect, which was some sort of apex of black & white. The story is probably more personal, and you just happen to save the world during it :shifty: Just like BG2.

Edited by Slinky

Yes well.. I guess it's easier to make save everything-storys and sell them. I don't think Dragon Age is going to be as B&W as Mass Effect, which was some sort of apex of black & white. The story is probably more personal, and you just happen to save the world during it :shifty: Just like BG2.

That's the funny thing - you don't really save anything in BG2 except an elven city, and in the series as a whole. After all if Bhaal is destroyed Cyric would just keep his portfolio and things would go on as they have before. If Bhaal comes back, Cyric is the one who is worst off.

The weird Forgotten Realms system of deities is like that, a mortal can become a god and gods can die, but the overall impact on the "world" is negligible. Unless Ao gets pissed.

logosig2.jpg

You save the Sword Coast region from an iron ore crisis, banditry and eventually a fruitless war with Amn, then you save Suldanessellar, then you foil a classic villain's attempt at godhood. Sounds like a lot of 'saving' here. TOB's storyline could have done a lot better without Melissan - and with more intrigue between the Five, or more active intervention from the Tethyrian regime.

Guest Slinky
Mass Effect with swords confirmed?

If there is a armor you can use in Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2...

I hope there's lots of empty terrain where you can roam and do absolutely nothing!

Edited by Slinky

You save the Sword Coast region from an iron ore crisis, banditry and eventually a fruitless war with Amn, then you save Suldanessellar, then you foil a classic villain's attempt at godhood. Sounds like a lot of 'saving' here. TOB's storyline could have done a lot better without Melissan - and with more intrigue between the Five, or more active intervention from the Tethyrian regime.

All done not out of charity but as a result of following intensely personal goals. That makes much more sense than the usual impersonal approach, and that's what made it immersive. Besides a region and a smaller city are somewhat more believable than galaxy/universe blabla...

As for ToB, well yes it could have been better, but as an expansion pack it was better than many full games. It did the job that was intended.

I've still to play the Ascention mod and see how the plot was improved there.

logosig2.jpg

The weird Forgotten Realms system of deities is like that, a mortal can become a god and gods can die, but the overall impact on the "world" is negligible.

... except when Mystra bit the dust.

True. But that would be about it. Other gods kicked the bucket with a lot less bang.

logosig2.jpg