Dragon Age Origins

Yeah, I know. :) Well, if I'm going to wear a robe, I hope it's at least stylish!

Maybe they should change to trench coats, Matrix style.

Actually, that's no joke. I can see it looking cool if they did it right. Aw, who the hell am I kidding? I'll hate or like the clothes, but as long as I can hurl fire from my finger tips I'll be happy!

Guest PoziomyPion

Some music from Dragon Age:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvLm39NTZcU...feature=related Mage Theme One of my favs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PrzmA_UZe0...feature=related City Elf Theme (I like it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPaeYLxLylQ...feature=related Dalish Elf Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejwY0rng0Vw...feature=related Human Noble Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO8P9qtAlJ0...feature=related Dwarf Noble Theme (I like this one too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEVE08cDpo...feature=related Dragon Age Main Theme (lovely)

I never thought any game will have music score as good as Torment or Icewind Dale, but here comes Dragon Age and I love it's soundtrack!

Edited by PoziomyPion

-ehm-

Not quite, though.

In Denmark we have what is called a soft D which sounds similar to the 'eth' sound when spoken. It is in the Danish word 'gade' for example;

the word 'gade' meaning street. The wowel is a long one and the 'e' at the the end can barely be heard at all.

Sure, the sounds for eth and thorn (as found in Icelandic) still exist in lots of Germanic languages, but Icelandic and Faroese are the only languages that still use those characters to any significant extent. The other Germanic languages (including English) dropped them a while back, leaving the pronunciation of those sounds to digraphs (th in English) or single characters in a certain context (such as the one you just gave for Danish). It's really no different from the slow (and IMO, unfortunate) process of German umlaut characters being replaced by vowel + "e" digraphs or the Eszett being replaced by "ss".

The only point I was trying to make is that it was weird/confusing to see a German-language game interface using capital eth characters in place of "D". Similarly, I've seen "Dalish" spelled "Daelish". At least they didn't spell it

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

Wow, Inon Zur continues to produce music that absolutely fails to move me in *any* way. It doesn't blow me away, nor do I find anything to particularly hate about it. It's just so... bland. I think the only soundtrack by him I would consider good is the Icewind Dale 2 one, which had some nice stuff on it.

But this... Really forgettable judging from the samples above. :( As meh as much of his music is, I think I'd even like Jeremy Soule more for the whole "epic orchestra" stuff present here.

Oh well. I so wanted to like this game when it was first announced (to the point where I was actually excited about it), but it just looks and feels so boring. The more I see from it, the lower my interest goes.

EDIT: The interface looks good at least, except for the whole inventory list thing.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I have to say that the DA soundtrack was better than expected. Not great, but pretty good. Atleast you can spot that it is created with an idea in mind, a sense of underlying "theme" as you might call it.

It is much better than it could've have been (=silly LotR ripoff). The Dwarf Noble-theme is my personal favourite atm, it simply booms Authority.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I like the Mage's theme the most. It's so...smooth.

Post + avatar = coincidense? :facepalm:

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This just in, console combat has been gimped:

Posted 08/15/09 13:58 (GMT) by mmu1

I don't expect anyone to take my word for it, but I'm at GenCon right now, and since this was a rather big deal for me too, I actually grilled the booth staff about it until I finally got an answer - to the point where I think I annoyed some of the people there with my negative reaction. :facepalm:

The zoom IS out of the console version. A couple of the demonstrators gave me different answers initially, but I got final clarification from some of the programmers. I was told it was an issue due to the limited RAM on the 360, and the problems that caused when you zoomed out and could see much more of the world.

I was also told that, because of how unwieldy the over the shoulder view would make party micromanagement, the 360 version combats - while still technically "the same" have been "re-balanced" to work with less player input and more proactive party AI. In addition, the guy I was talking to mentioned that, if, for example, the PC version would have a massive wide-area combat with 25 enemies, the console version would still have those same enemies show up - but in waves.

I left the booth cursing under my breath - I'm a PC gamer by preference, but I don't have a serious gaming rig at the moment, so I was hoping to be able to play the same title on the 360. I even pre-ordered the x-box version already, and this little gem makes me wanna cancel it...

Don't get me wrong, what I've actually seen of the game made me want it more than ever, but seeing the PC and 360 versions running side by side like that really made me feel like crap about having to play the 360 version.

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtop...m=135&sp=45

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

PC just sounds much better now, or dare i say, a much more natural choice?

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I don't expect anyone to take my word for it, but I'm at GenCon right now, and since this was a rather big deal for me too, I actually grilled the booth staff about it until I finally got an answer - to the point where I think I annoyed some of the people there with my negative reaction. :facepalm:

The zoom IS out of the console version. A couple of the demonstrators gave me different answers initially, but I got final clarification from some of the programmers. I was told it was an issue due to the limited RAM on the 360, and the problems that caused when you zoomed out and could see much more of the world.

I was also told that, because of how unwieldy the over the shoulder view would make party micromanagement, the 360 version combats - while still technically "the same" have been "re-balanced" to work with less player input and more proactive party AI. In addition, the guy I was talking to mentioned that, if, for example, the PC version would have a massive wide-area combat with 25 enemies, the console version would still have those same enemies show up - but in waves.

I left the booth cursing under my breath - I'm a PC gamer by preference, but I don't have a serious gaming rig at the moment, so I was hoping to be able to play the same title on the 360. I even pre-ordered the x-box version already, and this little gem makes me wanna cancel it...

Don't get me wrong, what I've actually seen of the game made me want it more than ever, but seeing the PC and 360 versions running side by side like that really made me feel like crap about having to play the 360 version.

Ahahahaa hahaha. Console gamers lose by default (again).

Well what do you expect? DA has been a PC game through and throughout, you'd be bat**** insane buying the console version. If you're serious about PC gaming, you should have at least a rig to run this moderate game. geez.

:facepalm:

Right.

At least the PC version isn't an exact port.

I prefer to do exploration in third person, and I like moving my character with a controller instead of using click to move. Plus it would look better on my big screen TV than on my monitor. However, combat trumps that, so I guess I'll get the PC version at least initially.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I prefer to do exploration in third person, and I like moving my character with a controller instead of using click to move. Plus it would look better on my big screen TV than on my monitor. However, combat trumps that, so I guess I'll get the PC version at least initially.

You are aware that you can use the TV as a secondary monitor and use the 360 gamepad with the PC, right?

You are aware that you can use the TV as a secondary monitor and use the 360 gamepad with the PC, right?

I'm not sure if DAOPC will support the game pad, if it's not designed for it it's a pain in the ass. It might be viable if you don't have to use the KB&M at all, I'd just have to get a really long VGA cable that everyone will stumble over, so probably won't bother.

I'm not sure if DAOPC will support the game pad, if it's not designed for it it's a pain in the ass. It might be viable if you don't have to use the KB&M at all, I'd just have to get a really long VGA cable that everyone will stumble over, so probably won't bother.

All Games For Windows branded games have to work with the gamepad, at least when they are also on 360. It's part of the GFW requirements.

VGA cable? Don't you have a HDTV? If it's not HD, the monitor will have a way higher resolution.

Edited by Purkake

It's HD, but only has component or VGA. VGA is supported by my video card. If it does support the controller, I'll try it, thanks.

Edit: You misread it, it says if the game supports a controller, it has to support the 360 controller, all games being able to work with controller only would be an onerous requirement.

Compatibility. Games for Windows branded titles work on Windows XP and Windows Vista based PCs, including both 32 and 64 bit editions. Games for Windows titles that support controllers are also compatible with the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller for Windows, including the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. They even support widescreen resolutions and more.
Edited by Wrath of Dagon

Guest Slinky
VGA is fine for 720P

Have you ever compaired digital and analog 720p picture? Because if you have, I'm afraid there is something wrong with your eyes..

VGA is fine for 720P, which is what my TV is. Being a nice plasma, it still kills my 1600x1050 monitor, even with much lower res.

Maybe I'm just spoiled.

My point was that you can connect the TV to the PC and (most likely) us the gamepad. It's not an ideal solution, but it does offer the best of both worlds FWIW.

I don't expect anyone to take my word for it, but I'm at GenCon right now, and since this was a rather big deal for me too, I actually grilled the booth staff about it until I finally got an answer - to the point where I think I annoyed some of the people there with my negative reaction. :)

No offense but what do people expect, there is only so much you can do with console hardware. :p This is why all games should be made with PC first in mind and the consoles get the port, but hey that's in a parallel magical fantasy world.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

VGA is fine for 720P

Have you ever compaired digital and analog 720p picture? Because if you have, I'm afraid there is something wrong with your eyes..

May be something's wrong with your TV. I've compared VGA and DVI on my old monitor, and didn't notice any difference.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon