Dragon Age Origins

All true, but:

how is that significantly different from a nonlinear adventure game in the vein of Farenheit?

Besides you have to understand that the drop in gameplay complexity is hard to stomach, and Bio hasnt really skyrocketed in other regards to balance that out. There has to be a game in there somewhere, even under layers of quality storytelling, or it wont satisfy the "player" and the "reader" .

I'm not talking a BioWare made game. That's like suggesting Bethesda do KotOR III! BioWare has a specific style of gameplay that they're used to, and they're not going to change that formula.

However, we're getting off topic. I think a new thread might be in order.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

What was that politics game set in a former Eastern European country... Revolution or Republic or something.

It isn't exactly what Maria was talking about, but it was fundamentally a roleplaying game where you set up a political party and took a certain route to achieve your political objectives, i.e. government.

It didn't really work 100%, but outcomes were non-combat based, there were no stats, there was a story...

Conversely, Maria should check out King of Dragon Pass which I suspect might be right up her street. A totally non-traditional, story-based quasi adventure / fantasy RPG set in a lovingly crafted and original setting (RuneQuest's Glorantha). Even a polyhedral dice-orientated wargaming gorgnard like me fell totally in love with it.

Would it shift units in EB or Game? No. Guys, were in cultural territory here, and games like this are in Ingmar Bergman territory, which ain't showing next to Transformers 2 in any mulitplex I konw of :p

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

However, we're getting off topic. I think a new thread might be in order.

By all means. When games are crap in general the least we can do is discuss ways to make them at least playable, and original too, if thats not too much to ask for.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I think her looks fit her role fine, if she doesnt get ruined by dialogue or voice acting.

Though I get what youre saying, warming her tent isnt that appealing, she looks quite... undead.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Guest Slinky
What's the deal with Morrigan? She looks like a soulless husk with those horrible eyes

I don't know about you, but I like more women that scare me than bore me :p

I'm just starting Farscape season 4, every time I hear Morrigan speak I think of Aeryn. Can't Claudia Black get real acting roles anymore? :p

Maybe she is just trying somethin new. Has she been acting after farscape and pitch black anyway?

What's the deal with Morrigan? She looks like a soulless husk with those horrible eyes

I don't know about you, but I like more women that scare me than bore me :)

You can be intimidating without looking like a scary soulless husk. Those eyes are Bethesda-worthy :p

I'm just starting Farscape season 4, every time I hear Morrigan speak I think of Aeryn. Can't Claudia Black get real acting roles anymore? :(

Maybe she is just trying somethin new. Has she been acting after farscape and pitch black anyway?

She was also in Stargate for the last two seasons.

Edited by Purkake

Guest Slinky
You can be intimidating without looking like a scary soulless husk. Those eyes are Bethesda-worthy :(

She most likely look like that just sometimes. I don't think that her eyes look that bad, they are far from bethseda-horror :p

Edited by Slinky

Guest Slinky
I want Imoen Leliana. If she only had the formers voice... eh... I'd so do a Geralt on her. :(

Yeah, her voice actor drives me nuts!

Oh I sympathize. I practically got all weepy and sentimental when I first saw Leliana, until I heard her open her mouth. That was a rude awakening to say the least.

I wonder what's happening with these voices actors. The only thing I've seen so far is either unremarkable or irritating. This was one aspect that Bioware did well.

logosig2.jpg

Lelianas

In the really bad, twisting way :(

Imoens voice is great, always liked it.

We've only heard her voice for five seconds, and that was while the BioDude was chatting.

The guy who played Al Mualim in Assassin's Creed is Duncan.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Guest Slinky
We've only heard her voice for five seconds, and that was while the BioDude was chatting.

True. Still, I don't think that her voice will suddenly change to something completely else. Hey, one dislikes, other likes and all that.

I don't think Leliana's voice actors name is known. Looks like she is really from France.

Edited by Slinky

*reads through the responses about the Alistair fellow*

Well, atleast the girlfriend might be satisified this time around, she hated Kaidan, but loved Carth.

For me love interests are there for the lulz mostly, since Deionarra completely spoiled me to ridicolous standards.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

since Deionarra completely spoiled me to ridicolous standards.

Oh yes. And she gets like ten lines of text and is still better fleshed out than 90% of game characters. Her sensory stone experience is an emotional kick in the groin.

logosig2.jpg

There were wonderfully fleshed characters in Planescape, but Deionarra was not one of them. Deionarra's only personality trait was that she was utterly devoted to the Nameless One, but that also happened to be a personality trait of almost every major NPC in the game.

Edit: This is going to sound cynical, but I see the popularity of Deionarra as a function of her lack of personality. She's a blank slate, but she's totally in love with the Nameless One. She can be anything the player imagines their dream girl to be. If you want sweet and innocent, you can decide she's that. If you want intelligent and wise, you can decide she's that. The only constant is that she'll never challenge or bother you cause she's a dead girl who can only beg for your attention.

Edited by Maria Caliban

Guest Slinky
There were wonderfully fleshed characters in Planescape, but Deionarra was not one of them. Deionarra's only personality trait was that she was utterly devoted to the Nameless One, but that also happened to be a personality trait of almost every major NPC in the game.

To me she was. All the crap the previous incarnations had done, Deionnarras fate made me feel lot more sorry than others. And the music that plays near her is pretty damn good.