Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

brilliantly, i rented watchmen last night then fell asleep right as it was counting down from one minute to go... failing to hit the record button, of course. grrr...

apparently i watched watchmen last night, though i cannot comment on the movie at all.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

brilliantly, i rented watchmen last night then fell asleep right as it was counting down from one minute to go... failing to hit the record button, of course. grrr...

apparently i watched watchmen last night, though i cannot comment on the movie at all.

taks

So you had an authentic Watchmen cinematic experience :sorcerer:

So you had an authentic Watchmen cinematic experience :)

i guess. it will be on for a while and i will surely rent it sooner or later. even if you record movies (directv DVR), you can't keep them for more than a few weeks, e.g., i rented push a few weeks ago and it lasts till august 1. they changed the policy last spring. i can understand why, but that doesn't mean i like it. i'm not sure if dish and the various cable companies are following suit, though i would imagine that the pressure is actually from the movie companies so they probably are doing the same, too.

taks

some jackass posting on one of my facebook friends' walls, one that i'm connected to so i get all his posts, spoiled something

- the untimely death of one of the characters -

in a new movie

- harry potter -

that i intend to see. people don't think. grrr...

taks

I'm surprised you hadn't had the death spoiled already from the book being released like 2 years ago.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I do think folks are insensitive, but it's also tough to know when you can blab and when you can't. I think Oerwinde has a point. Folks were super careful about the book for a while after it came out, but then they became more careless over time and an increasing number of their friends had read the book. The movie comes out and a lot of folks erroneously assume that everyone interested in the movie has previously read the book. Oops. Still sucks, but it was probably not intentional. Just some poor bloke who figured everyone had read the book.

some jackass posting on one of my facebook friends' walls, one that i'm connected to so i get all his posts, spoiled something

- the untimely death of one of the characters -

in a new movie

- harry potter -

that i intend to see. people don't think. grrr...

taks

Or it could be that he thought you would know seeing how the book has been out for ages and the plot is well known. >_<

EDIT:

a510.gif

o:)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I just finished the last episode of The Shield. I was renting one season at a time for the last few years, and it was very satisfying to finish it. Definitely one of the better conclusions I have seen on a television show.

Damn you Nightshade! Damn you to... Oh, wait, I don't care about Harry Potter. :-

ROFL. :(

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I finished the rest of season 2 and the Children Of Men series for Torchwood. The latter was quite impressive, as it seemed to forget about being campy and just told a nice, depressing story. RIP,

Ianto Jones

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Only thing that gets me for Children of Earth is that it doesn't look promising for another season story-wise, but they just moved to BBC1 and it apparently got fantastic ratings, so it seemed like it was for sure. I thought the mini was just to delay until the whole David Tennant Dr regeneration thing happened and they could get the two series back in sync.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think based on the last Dr Who finale, Martha Jones and Mickey were supposed to join to fill Owen and Tosh's roles respectively. I would have enjoyed that. But apparently they didn't do Children of Earth because of scheduling conflicts. I don't know what the plans are now.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Visioneers

Happened to catch this movie by chance when I saw that my brother watched it on our netflix account and thought I'd give it a try since I had nothing better to do. The first pleasant surprise was Zack Galifinakis who was the lead of the story and who I am a long time fan of. It's a genuinely odd movie but it was also genuinely funny in my opinion.

As a whole, not a great movie by any means but it had some things that I liked and some relatable themes and it certainly wasn't a bad movie.

7.8/10, give it a try

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Saw Valkyrie last night, about the Von Stauffenberg plot in 1944.

It was pretty good, blimey every decent British character actor in THE WORLD was in it. A few problems, though...

1. Most of us know the plot failed, ergo difficult to maintain any suspense, just curiosity about at what point everybody will get caught and executed by the Gestapo and (1A) they only touch on the fact that some of the plotters were pretty fair-weather characters who were quite happy to support Hitler until it was obvious that Russia was the fatal error.

2. The acting is very formal and strangely old-fashioned. I don't think one character ever made any sort of joke. Hey, I know that they're risking their lives in Op Certain Death, but when humans are under pressure sometimes they joke about it.

3. Tom Cruise might have his own strange personal beliefs but I think he is a consistently accomplished actor. However, in this, I find that he lacks the gravitas to play the character. Wait, gravitas is perhaps unfair, like I say, Cruise is a good actor. It's just that perhaps every other character has a pronounced English or German accent and Cruise still has his American accent. It jars. There's nothing wrong with American accents, it's just that it's incongruous that he's the only guy with one in the movie.

4. It's a Brian Singer joint. I like his stuff, but this didn't feel like one of his movies.

5. The foreign language trick, where a foreign tongue segues into English, has been done before (and better) in The Hunt for Red October and (especially) The 13th Warrior (hey, must see that one again, savaged by critics, loved by Monte).

---

I did, however, love the visuals. Nazi Germany is antiseptic, clean, modernist with angular architecture and billowing swastikas everywhere. It feels brutal and crushing and triumphalist. There is also a scene where there is a clandestine meeting in a church, a staple of thrillers.... but the camera pans up at the end and the roof is missing as a consequence of allied bombing. It's striking and clever piece of directing.

Anyway, it's worth a look, an original and interesting take on a little-told aspect of WW2 and German history (i.e. the German resistance to Hitler).

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm surprised you hadn't had the death spoiled already from the book being released like 2 years ago.

haven't read, nor do i intend to read, any of the books. in two years, not once have i actually heard this, btw.

taks

Its surprising you hadn't heard online. Its everywhere.

Anyway, Quantum of Solace was a Bourne flick with Bond in it.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Its surprising you hadn't heard online. Its everywhere.

Anyway, Quantum of Solace was a Bourne flick with Bond in it.

Never heard it either.

QoS - Maybe, they did use the same type of stunt/film work since they used the same people, but to me it got back to the character in the books more than anything. Emotion, no gadgets blah......Oh and you might say that bourne copied from bond more than the other way around since Bond has been around longer and invented the action/spy film genre.

Edited by Kelverin

Mr Bond, James Bond may have been one of the first examples of Spy film genre but somewhere around the end of cold war, the series dried up / lost its magical touch that made you disregard the improbable-tech. Bourne was a real blast of fresh air as it managed to dump most of the useless holy(wood)-fu, ultra mega super duper gadgets and put some believability (sp?) into the genre

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.