Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 Will Not Have LAN Support

Meh, I can wait. Will have SupCom 2 and probably other, better RTS's until then. Maybe the storyline will be interesting, and there'll be a workaround for that "always online" stuff- yeah SP achievements you can share with your friends!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Blizzard said about a year ago that they were in the "final stretch" before the beta of SC2.

I like their games, I really do, but Blizzard is ridiculously slow.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

According to Blizzard Starcraft 2 will have always connected feature for singleplayer... wheter it will be mandatory (same **** like ubisoft's ****) or voluntarily, is yet to be seen...

http://www.starcraft2.com/features/misc/battlenet.xml

Battle.net and StarCraft II are designed to be seamlessly connected. That means even if you're playing solo you will still view the latest news, receive game and content updates, and be able to see your friends' status and chat with them. But this new interconnectivity between the game and the service goes even deeper than that. Now, each player will create a StarCraft II Battle.net character. This character serves as your single persistent identity across the service. Everything you do in the game -- win/loss record, achievements, unlockable rewards, friends list, and more -- will be saved to your character profile for you and your friends to see. Even your save game progress in the campaign can be synched to Battle.net. Say you upgrade your computer and re-install the game; once you connect to Battle.net, you can continue the campaign right where you left off. This is especially useful if you play on more than one computer, because all your data will be carried over for you via Battle.net.

* Every player will create a battle.net character.

* Everything you do in game will be saved to your character profile

* campaign progress synced to battle.net, pick up where you left off on any computer

I see no reason to doubt it's any different than Ubi's system. It's main points are the same. It seems like a natural next step for DRM. Move away from the third party software running on customer's computers, that the people that complain about DRM like to complain about (SecurROM, etc.), to an always online solution that a large segment of the gaming population has already become accustomed to, in the form of MMOs and developer hosted multiplayer servers like battle.net. I'm still not sure how I feel towards the move. I have a stable broadband connection, but there's still something uncomfortable for me with this move. Also makes me wonder how the economics of it works out when they consider the lost sales to people in areas that don't have the sort of connection that would make this sort of mandatory service possible, assuming that Blizzard is making it mandatory.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

I see no reason to doubt it's any different than Ubi's system.

Main point is that there is a reason for Blizzard / battlenet to do this - Starcraft, Diablo and Warcraft are all about multiplayer. If you read the kotaku article there's going to be a lot of ways in which that persistent connectivity is used to improve gameplay.

I also don't see anything that says you HAVE to be online all the time while you play?

Main point is that there is a reason for Blizzard / battlenet to do this - Starcraft, Diablo and Warcraft are all about multiplayer. If you read the kotaku article there's going to be a lot of ways in which that persistent connectivity is used to improve gameplay.

I also don't see anything that says you HAVE to be online all the time while you play?

I do not mind at all the all-time online system for multiplayer match-making, but last thing i want when playing singleplayer games, is someone from my WoW friends trying to persuade me to resubscribe... When i do Single Player Gaming, i do always disconnect from net to be sure no one disturbs me with Skype ICQ or any other similar ****... sometimes I even turn off my cell phone to not get disturbed... Offline mode for SC2 Single Player is a must for me... so i most likely wait until someone release some workaround, or even wait for BattleChest to be sure to not pay more money that this system deserves... i waited for SC2 10 years, i can wait 2 more...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Starcraft 2 delayed until 2010.

Blizzard strikes again!

Sorry, but this strikes me as really unfair. Blizzard didn't set a release date. Blizzard never sets release dates. Occasionally they will give a rough estimate of their current target always with the disclaimer that it's subject to change added to it, and when they don't make that, people make a fuss and say it was delayed again. It wasn't. It didn't meet an in-house target, but it wasn't delayed because it was never set to be released. This is just people who took an estimate far too seriously and have an enormous sense of self-entitlement.

I was obviously being sarcastic, I don't have any illusions about Blizzard ever releasing games on time and I don't fault them for that.

Fair enough. I had actually recognized it as sarcasm, but I thought it to be the more bitter, biting type. Apologies then!

What about the fact that Blizzard has never mentioned it anywhere? :lol:

Are you suggesting I'm being too cynical? My cynicism keeps me warm at night, would you really take that away from me? :)

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

I do not mind at all the all-time online system for multiplayer match-making, but last thing i want when playing singleplayer games, is someone from my WoW friends trying to persuade me to resubscribe... When i do Single Player Gaming, i do always disconnect from net to be sure no one disturbs me with Skype ICQ or any other similar ****... sometimes I even turn off my cell phone to not get disturbed... Offline mode for SC2 Single Player is a must for me... so i most likely wait until someone release some workaround, or even wait for BattleChest to be sure to not pay more money that this system deserves... i waited for SC2 10 years, i can wait 2 more...

Um... I'm sure you will have an "Away" or "Appear Offline" function?

Um... I'm sure you will have an "Away" or "Appear Offline" function?

I realy hope so, anything different is BAD!!!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

So, anybody got a SC2 Beta key?

I didn't get one yet (dammit).

Listening to the Zerg soundtrack on youtube right now.

No beta access here either.

Also checked out part of the soundtrack. Terran 1-5, Zerg 1-6 and Protoss 1. Only song I liked was Terran 1. :lol:

Edited by Deraldin

So, anybody got a SC2 Beta key?

I didn't get one yet (dammit).

Listening to the Zerg soundtrack on youtube right now.

No beta access here either.

Also checked out part of the soundtrack. Terran 1-5, Zerg 1-6 and Protoss 1. Only song I liked was Terran 1. :lol:

Have they upped the Terran and Protoss music already? I only found the Zerg ones.

I watched an hour and a half report on the beta at gamespot.

My major gripe were the cartoony graphics as well as units looking somewhat crappy. However looking at the gameplay, static pictures don't do the units and buildings justice. There's a lot of animations, practically everything on the screen moves around and overall the game looks pretty good. The zerg look a bit crappy but thats to be expected with the asymmetrical buildings and organic design.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Interestingly enough, the petition for Starcraft 2 to have LAN is nearing 250,000 signatures: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?LANSC2

Although it may not make much difference, that is still pretty amazing. :-

Anyway, if Starcraft 2 does not have an offline multiplayer mode, I will evaluate it as a single-player game only lacking any multiplayer functionality for the purposes of my purchasing decision and the same applies to Diablo 3. Unless, of course, there is a way to bypass the need for online presence to play multiplayer, perhaps through the setting up of virtual servers through LAN - I guess will have to educate myself on that as I am not sure how that works.