FO:NV

Darque

It always feels like Bethesda was sort of trying to do a Killian/Gizmo thing with Simms/Moriarty, but they stopped bothering somewhere along the line.

Its odd how SImms warns you about Moriarty when you first enter Megaton, but Moriarty never actually does anything bad. He's actually very nice and encouraging. For all of his ten lines of dialogue.

Fallout 3 seems more to me a game of missed opportunities for interesting characters/stories/quests then a game of actually interesting characters/stories/quests.

dude, it's like you keep reading my mind, it's eerie!

i had the EXACT thoughts on simms/moriarty! "it's like they gave up halfway through this part... and decided to build another stupid inconsequential dungeon instead of giving us something to do that mattered"

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

so hopefully obsidian just uses the beards that are already made, and then they get the pleasure of making a game with stuff to do other than raid dungeons

at least the dungeons in f3 were designed better than the oblivion ones *shudder*

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm playing FO3 again with the dlc adons. I forgot how crappy the pipboy map is, it doesn't show what level you are on so you constantly get lost. If you are in a building with several stories it's almost completely useless. This should either be fixed or compensated for by making the interior areas less complicated. It seems like a small thing, but It really does get in the way of your enjoyment of the game.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm playing FO3 again with the dlc adons. I forgot how crappy the pipboy map is, it doesn't show what level you are on so you constantly get lost. If you are in a building with several stories it's almost completely useless. This should either be fixed or compensated for by making the interior areas less complicated. It seems like a small thing, but It really does get in the way of your enjoyment of the game.

Bethesda seems to have a problem with journals and automaps. Remember the automap from Daggerfall? It was probably the single most useless automap ever put in a game. Once you went more than a half dozen steps from the entrance the automap became totally useless.

I'd love it if the FO3 world map could be zoomed out more and show the whole world at once. ANd the local map needs more range. But such was the case in NW and Oblivion as well. They both had terrible automaps.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

But it would be sweet if NV had a little (or a lot) more "in town" action. You know, wandering around a settlement talking to people, getting involved in their lives, and a lot less just random roaming around the wastes blowing stuff up.

I sort of figured New Vegas was well....About New Vegas.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Keep the random roaming. I want to see a good portion of Las Vegas, but I also want to see the greater basin as well. In fact, the thing that made FO3 for me was the exploration. That's probably the biggest reason that I'm such a big fan. I would probably not have finished it if I couldn't enjoy the wandering. Now, I can see having the threads tied up better. Nevertheless, maybe a small cult is just that... a small cult. Maybe, just as real life, every single character or organization need not have larger ramifications. On the other hand, I Bethesda could probably have made their relative insignificance more obvious to the player.

Whatever you do, don't reduce the area for wandering. Hell, in a lot of ways, FO3 was the smallest of the three. The Fallout franchise is built on wandering the wastes for crying out loud.

My wish was on having a primary play area of Vegas about the size of FO3 map but with lesser number of much better constructed communities and more open world enterable building rubbles (Instead of dungeons every 5th building and the 4 others being un-enterable even in open world)

On top of that, a "Fallout style world map" that gives you the illusion of much wider emptyness while you fast travel on the map to reach distant communities and locations. A Car used in FO2 style (for the world map only) would be a nice thing but a lot of people would cry "Why didn't you design the city without rubble so we can use our buggy / highwayman in it?" so thats just a far fetched wish (not to mention the crazy collision detection would stop you from moving whenever you hit a pebble :( )

Edit: I know you can get around collision detection by coding the car as a hovering entity and making it graphically seem like it is on the ground but then it would create some bad texture collisions everytime you hit an incline...

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Keep the random roaming. I want to see a good portion of Las Vegas, but I also want to see the greater basin as well. In fact, the thing that made FO3 for me was the exploration. That's probably the biggest reason that I'm such a big fan. I would probably not have finished it if I couldn't enjoy the wandering. Now, I can see having the threads tied up better. Nevertheless, maybe a small cult is just that... a small cult. Maybe, just as real life, every single character or organization need not have larger ramifications. On the other hand, I Bethesda could probably have made their relative insignificance more obvious to the player.

Whatever you do, don't reduce the area for wandering. Hell, in a lot of ways, FO3 was the smallest of the three. The Fallout franchise is built on wandering the wastes for crying out loud.

That's because there was nothing else to do in Fallout 3 BUT wander randomly. Wandering randomly WAS the game. If you took it out, there would be nothing left.

Hopefully, in NV there will be lots of stuff ADDED to the game so that random wandering becomes much less the focus. There will of course still be some, probably a lot of random wandering, regardless.

re: a small cult.

If a developer is going to take the time and trouble to put something like the Children of the Atom into the game it should have a point of interactuion with the PC. Otherwise why waste the resources putting it in the first place. I fully expected some sort of tie in between my attempt to disarm the bomb and the Children of the Atom, that they would play some sort of role in the quest. I was disappointed they didn't, and that the entire quest resolution was just a matter fo walkign up to teh bomb and clicking on it.

Boring.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

From a design point of view, I think using resources to put something in the game compels you to make use of it, but I don't think that the Children of the Atom are any worse than, say, Falls From Grace's diary. Something there to pique your interest but does nothing? Where I do agree is that if their only purpose is cosmetic, maybe the design team should let the player know.

I also thought that Bethesda actually did give the player enough to do. I think the quests and plot could use some tightening, but we've been saying that since before this thread.

On the other hand, I've always had the distinct impression that Obsidian designers are pretty much in agreement with most of you guys rather than me when it comes to these things. That's good, because most of you folks seem irritated with the current design whereas I'll probably be cool with most of what they decide to change. Hell, make the game more like Fallout 2. A huge map with enough time to roam and enjoy exploring, several settlements for quests, and a car? What's not to like? I even prefer Fallout 2's combat. Yeah, before the old ol' skoolers come out, I played Fallout 1 when it first came out and I still think Fallout 2 is the best game of the series, chess playing radscorpion and all.

i was expecting a whole series of quests to evolve around the relations between the children of atom, moriarty, and simms. I thought my disarming the bomb would be what ignited a firestorm of conflict in megaton that I would be in the middle of.

nope. click. here's a house with "themes" you can buy. whoopee.

waste. of. space.

[rant]

Moriarty and Simms were suspiciously like the Kilian vs Gizmo in FO and CotA were a shameless rip from FoT's ghoul settlement that worships a Bomb. A lot of things that were cool enough were taken from the other games (including FO:POS and the design documents for FOT2, FO3 (Jefferson) and FO:POS2)

I would really like to give some credits to B for a few unique things they did create (Well they did rip some from "Urban Vampire Love Novel"s but whatever) but most of the time the whole thing was about here is some cool stuff, here is some totaly unrelated quests (except the cool stuff is the q giver), have fun

[/rant]

Now after little episode, can we get back to talking about FO:NY instead of Obl, i mean FO3's shortcomings?

For the most part I would love to see our "unluckiest human on the wasteland" try to get his/her stuff in order.

A beginning like: Depending on her background she was a Guard or a Traveller or an Indentured Worker or outright Slave in a caravan that was attacked and wiped out completely. Our Heroine manages to evade the carnage by falling down a mine ventilation shaft. Inside the place she finds a little military forward listening station with a few salvagable things, the most important thing being the Pip-boy

Then you move on to NV (as you need to eat and earn cash) and start doing small stuff for wherever you can find work. After a while you get enough rep to start doing jobs for some factions (like caravan guard guilds, trader guilds etc). Maybe start planting your earned cash into acquiring some "locations" like shops or bars or whatever. Or become a known gun for hire / scavenger / gunman. Bit by bit you get access to bigger things and more complex things (like working for a faction then turning your coat and selling them to a higher paying customer). And in the background some little job that you did at the beginning begins a landslide that shakes up the power structure, escalating into a faction war. And before you know it, you are fighting for your life again, doing your stuff (sabotage, slaughter, create a damn powerblock by uniting weak faction and a well equipped army of your own (thenks to your silver tounge and contracts) ), destroying all who are a threat to your being.

Of course the game does not have to follow the above formula, but I would really like to feel that all my actions and the world is connected somehow and despite whatever happens in the main story I am growing (my cash, my posessions, my contacts that supply me more stuff, my shops, my trophies.... whatever)

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

i agree with the idea that most cities should be "solvable" in some fashion. each area having a trouble that can be resolved (NOT MEGATON, FIXING THAT BOMB TOOK 3 SECONDS) ala junktown, adytum, gecko, etc

more quests that matter!

I can only hope that sawyer and co are replaying the originals to determine how to make the quests feel more like the classics and less like the stuff in F3.

though to be fair, f3 did have several decent quests, just not enough, too many were just dungeon crawls with window dressing.

That it did. Its the one thing that made it fun to play. The main quest certainly didn't make it fun, it was rather boring.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

• 2 weeks later...

It's sad that most people think Interplay made the original Fallouts and Bethesda is making New Vegas.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's sad that most people think Interplay made the original Fallouts and Bethesda is making New Vegas.

Well if you want to be technical, while it was mostly the same people Interplay didn't set up Black Isle when they did Fallout 1, so technicly they did make the first one. They put it together for Fallout 2 though, however as Black Isle was a division of Interplay they did kinda do it.

Though it is sad if people believe Bethesda is making New Vegas.

is it beth money that obsidian is spending?

or is it obsidian money being spent?

i was under the impression that it was beth money, and obsidian is going to try and make a game that will earn it back for them (plus take a bit of the profits too)

is it beth money that obsidian is spending?

or is it obsidian money being spent?

i was under the impression that it was beth money, and obsidian is going to try and make a game that will earn it back for them (plus take a bit of the profits too)

Bethsoft is the publisher, so it's their money being invested.

Given the popularity of FO3, NV should be a slam dunk to make gobs of cash. I would imagine most of that is going to Bethesda, but Obsidian should do well enough given the meagbucks the game will bring in. Even a small bit of that will be a tidy sum.

It'll happen. I'm just waiting for the smashing announcement by Feargie that goes along the lines of "OH YAY! WE OBSIDIANITES GOT BOUGHT OVER BY BETHESDA. Nao joo all PHAIL while we is buying diamond studded sweeeming pools!."