FO:NV

Darque

Erm, I was not talking about animations, those are still the same crap carried over from Oblivion. I was just talking about item and ermor (Edit: ermor? WTH is ermor? Elmer's armor ;). Sorry for typo. Armour) models themselves. The Body models need to be somehow randomised with added new body models (by using Oblivion model mods for example).

The animations.... Well I saw this very nice combat animation mod for Oblivion :p

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

This doesn't look like a discussion about Fallout New Vegas plot. Why don't we steer back into that direction.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Lucian, we have gone over everything we could think about by ourselves: factions, city politics, cults, mutants and bos and ncr and other "should be" far away factions, Vegas area, Vegas looks in 50's, the area map, fanfic scenario ideas, what we would like to be carried over from other games... Unless we get some bits to chew or speculate about, all we can do is... well whine i guess.

Would you be such a grand guy and help us poke the folks at Obsidian? Pretty please?

• 3 weeks later...
Arguably, FO3 *was* a personal story since it all hinged on the protagonists dad.

Arguably, it was a story hinged on the assumption that everyone loves Dad.

Nope, not at all. The only assumption is that you want to find him, maybe to kill him for being an Ahole, but even that is a weak assumption. You find him eventually even if you aren't looking for him.

(COnt from the mechanics thread)

The biggest problem with the story for me wasn't whether I loved Dad or hated Dad. The biggest problem for me was that no attempt was made to make me care one way or the other.

My entire interaction with this man who was supposed to be my father was a banal intro/tutorial sequence. And that was it. From that little bit I am supposed to care about finding my father either out of love or hate? I think not. I f you want to engage the player in a character centered story around finding another character, you better make sure there is some emotional involvement otherwise it isn't going to work.

For my part, I assume that Beth choose the father line simply because it was an easy Macguffin. They didn't have to do any work, rather just asssume, Of course, you will want to find him he's your father. And then they could drop the story and motivation (Job DONE!) and go make some cars explode.

More than anything else (any combat or crafting system or locations or whatever other improvements) I hope Obs can craft an involving story that makes me, the player, want to go find out more about this world or its charcters or one character in particular. I would like to be engaged by the narrative, not either oblivious to it, or cringing at the incompetence of it.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I really wish Obsidian will go and rip off from new GTA a bit for this game. The whole doing odd jobs to live by, then getting access to some bolder jobs with bigger payoffs then save some of that cash to invest in some locations (a general store or a gun shop or maybe a machine shop?) which in turn gets you into contact with more troubles (aka quests). I know this sounds a bit tycoon like but such a system could have meen a nice addition; "your" shopkeepers greeting you with respect and so on.

From the beginnig to the third game (tictacs included) we have been slaving for others. Isn't it time to battle for our own needs?

I think the point is that Fallout 3 was plenty enough open ended in terms of dealing with the main quest. You weren't forced to love your dad. You were forced to work with him in order to finish the game, but you could play and do whatever you wanted, accumulate massive wealth, and get to the highest level all without finishing the main quest line. Saying that you're forced to love your dad or that the game assumes you must sounds pretty hollow to me. Every game I've ever played has had assumptions about character motives. That's ten years ago. That's twenty years ago. That's this year. So, let's not chase our tails, bro, I agree. ...But let's not hold it against Fallout 3 for committing a sin shared by all games.

The problem is not Dad but having to go trough a specific linear chain that is based on your son and father" relationship's strenght to get to the ending. The whole story (as it is told now) is about your dad, your dad and your dad. You are just a little pawn in his game.

If Bethesda had offered alternate paths that linked to the main story trunk at some points (Like a Rivet City Questline where you decide to forget about dad and settle in Rivet City. However your "actions" in becoming a RC Citizen; namely exposing a criminal and taking over his whatever shop. Whatever being based on your highest skill; A gun shop, a machine shop, a clinic and so on) start an innocent chain of quests that get you trading and searching pre-war stuff for Rivet city and what do you know? One of the places you raid for this stuff turns out to be your dads prison... You are stuck with him again! and from a totally unexpected chain of events you are back on the main story trunk

Beth could have created such alternate story lines (That any writer can mass produce rough draft by half a dozen in a few days) that would make the game a much more better experience. Even with their usual level of dialogue, a "complex" seeming interlocking quest chains would have made the game much much better compared to all those unrelated quests the game has at the moment.

I guess, whatever Obsidian decides to do, I would like to see their work presented in a interconnected way. The quests could all be normal bland stuff but if they can weave them well even bland stuff can crate a good tapestry.

Dunno, Maybe I was expecting a lot but I really thought the first level of the game would be around the time of my goat exam, doing small tasks in the Vault, seeing the inside of a Vault full blown for the first time. Instead All I got was about 20 lines of Dialogue from dad and then an escape mission that happened after a sleep of 4? 6? years that didn't even have alternate paths, maintenance hatches and so on :p

And don't start me on those "totaly rad" roach infestation inside a sealed Vault...

Edited by cronicler

Am I the only one that enjoyed looking for my dad?

If by "looking for my Dad", you mean "blowing raiders up with landmines" then no, I enjoyed it as well.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I will have to agree with many of the comments here. It kinda seemed like Beth tried to do the middleground. Both doing the whole open-ended sandbox thing, as well as having teh epic story. And again, I have to say that I think the Fallout games should be much more the story of the player character, more than anything else. Of course we need a motivation to get the game going, but build the various communities and situations in the wasteland to be solvable in very different ways with different outcomes, and then draw upon that in the end and let the player know just how he affected the wasteland. Let the player character be the "star" (not necessarily a hero of course) of the game.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

i agree with the idea that most cities should be "solvable" in some fashion. each area having a trouble that can be resolved (NOT MEGATON, FIXING THAT BOMB TOOK 3 SECONDS) ala junktown, adytum, gecko, etc

more quests that matter!

I can only hope that sawyer and co are replaying the originals to determine how to make the quests feel more like the classics and less like the stuff in F3.

though to be fair, f3 did have several decent quests, just not enough, too many were just dungeon crawls with window dressing.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

though to be fair, f3 did have several decent quests,

hmm. I must have blinked and missed those.

But it would be sweet if NV had a little (or a lot) more "in town" action. You know, wandering around a settlement talking to people, getting involved in their lives, and a lot less just random roaming around the wastes blowing stuff up.

Fallout 3 started off promisingly with Megaton, but it didn't take long to find out that almost everything there was purely cosmetic (the CHildren of the ATom, Moriarty, Simms, Gob, the water supply), and to make matters worse, it didn't take long to find out that there was only one other substantial settlement, Rivet City, in the entire game. Canterbury COmmons with its 4 people, doesn't count.

I don't understand why Bethesda insists on putting stuff in the game (Like The CHildren of the Atom) and then doesn't even mak euse of them.

i completely agree with you slowtrain!

i was SOOOO dissapointed when i started really exploring megaton and found out how un-interactive it all was. it was like a diorama! the only things you could really do other than the bomb were fix the pipes and handle the drug addict...

in almost any town in fallout 1, a ten year old game, you could do WAY more than that in just about any town in the game. even worse, there were really only two towns in f3!

the game was more of a wasteland action explorer game than a rpg

edit: i did like a couple quests though - I liked the "shoot em in the head" quest, and "stealing independence" - though it was a dungeon crawl it was the most fun dungeon crawl i'd played in a while. that quest where you could convince all the tenpenny people to accept the ghouls was ok too. it was about the only quest where talking felt remotely useful

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It always feels like Bethesda was sort of trying to do a Killian/Gizmo thing with Simms/Moriarty, but they stopped bothering somewhere along the line.

Its odd how SImms warns you about Moriarty when you first enter Megaton, but Moriarty never actually does anything bad. He's actually very nice and encouraging. For all of his ten lines of dialogue.

Fallout 3 seems more to me a game of missed opportunities for interesting characters/stories/quests then a game of actually interesting characters/stories/quests.