What are you playing now

Gorth

I never bothered much with the trading in SoZ, I simply set up trading posts in all towns & a few caravans here and there but still I was swimming in money long before the game ended. This allowed me to bypass crafting entirely and simply buy 'uber' equipment for all my party members and subsequently wiping the floor with the antagonists. Good fun.

Still,

slaying two dragons with a level 7 party felt kinda weird...

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It always irks me when folks refer to Icewind Dale as being light on story. The story behind Icewind Dale wasn't light. They billed it as a hack and slash like Diablo, but it wasn't. What they managed to do with IWD and IWD 2 is convey a lot of background information without a lot of excess dialogue. IWD had some of the best writing of any of the IE games. Both titles did a great job with the backstory and unfolding it properly for players who didn't want to swim through text. However, if you like a strong story that doesn't intrude on gameplay every five seconds, IWD is your game and it's certainly my second favorite of the whole IE lineup. My first would be PS:T and my next would be BG2, which throws the idea of bias all to hell.

Really, Diablo's backstory isn't bad. It's just not a big part of actual gameplay in terms of dialogue. As gamers, we've broken things down very strangely because we'll refer to games as not having much of a story when in fact the design team has come up with some quite elaborate stories behind the title. Blizzard doest that all the time. The story might be halfway decent, such as Diablo, or it might be a steaming, meandering river of donkey turds, such as World of Warcraft, but it doesn't lack a story. There are games that have the slightest pretense of story, and it's a shame to have IWD, with all of that excellent but subdued writing lumped in with games with lackluster or even simply bad writing. Hell, the item descriptions in IWD are better than some of the full blown intros I've seen.

As far as SoZ goes, I never played it. I would rather like to think that I would have liked it but, as Pidesco says, I just got tired of overlooking the shortcomings in the NWNx engine.

I third the man above the man above me. Not to mention the beautiful and expressive backgrounds IWD games had and they always complimented the story so it was even better.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

It always irks me when folks refer to Icewind Dale as being light on story. The story behind Icewind Dale wasn't light.

I stand corrected, I didn't express myself well there at all. I love the story behind IWD: sometimes less is more and, yeah, even the item descriptions give a great sense of place. What I meant is that the setting is... ambient, it's good but it doesn't get in your face. TBH, fighting through the Yuan-Ti temple was so much fun I completely forgot the setting, but that's a good thing in my book.

As for the music - for me the best of any IE game, period.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals. Weird adventure game based on comics of one Enki Bilal, a french writer who used to do stuff for the Heavy Metal magazine in the 80s. The plot is kind of weird, bunch of egyptian gods park their pyramid-shaped spacecraft over dystopian Paris because they ran out of fuel on their way to who knows where. Your job is to find you father, who's being led around by Horus who plans to make him the god-king of Paris for reasons unknown. Beautiful graphics, ok puzzles but the mood if just perfect. I guess this game gives more to people who are familiar with the comics (read them religiously as a kid), but I'd still recommend this to all fans of adventure games or dystopian fiction.

Oh, and it's made by the same people who made Syberia, a name which should be familiar to adventure game fans.

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

Guest PoziomyPion

masseffectpco.jpg

I am replaying Mass Effect now and I learned how to properly use character creation tool in this game. I think I did quite a good job on my Shepard.

Now, I have graphical problems which didnt occur earlier: some shadows or light sources and biotic powers are pixelated quite badly(welcome back psx era). I browsed Bioware forums and solutions posted there didn't work(messing with the config files and using nHancer custom profile for Mass Effect).

If anyone know any solution for my problem,I'd be glad for help. That is if there is any solution to that. Maybe it's just a bad work on Demiurge Studios part.

It always irks me when folks refer to Icewind Dale as being light on story. The story behind Icewind Dale wasn't light.

I stand corrected, I didn't express myself well there at all. I love the story behind IWD: sometimes less is more and, yeah, even the item descriptions give a great sense of place. What I meant is that the setting is... ambient, it's good but it doesn't get in your face. TBH, fighting through the Yuan-Ti temple was so much fun I completely forgot the setting, but that's a good thing in my book.

As for the music - for me the best of any IE game, period.

Cheers

MC

I actually ended up prefering IWD to BG2, I found myself enjoying the narrow scope, and linear level design more than the non-linear lets shove it all in chapter 2, of Baldurs Gate 2.

You're right though, IWD's story is up there, I always felt I knew the world more than I did while playing any other IE game, this was based purely on the delivery.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals. Weird adventure game based on comics of one Enki Bilal, a french writer who used to do stuff for the Heavy Metal magazine in the 80s. The plot is kind of weird, bunch of egyptian gods park their pyramid-shaped spacecraft over dystopian Paris because they ran out of fuel on their way to who knows where. Your job is to find you father, who's being led around by Horus who plans to make him the god-king of Paris for reasons unknown. Beautiful graphics, ok puzzles but the mood if just perfect. I guess this game gives more to people who are familiar with the comics (read them religiously as a kid), but I'd still recommend this to all fans of adventure games or dystopian fiction.

Have you seen the movie?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Have you seen the movie?

Yeah, I actually started watching it but the girlfriend vetoed and we stopped 15 minutes in. I would have wanted to watch it but I guess the cheese factor was too much for her. I'll admit, it was bad, but I'm such a fan of the original comics that I plan to finish it in the near future.

masseffectpco.jpg

I am replaying Mass Effect now and I learned how to properly use character creation tool in this game. I think I did quite a good job on my Shepard.

mmm sexy! I approve. I never could get a hot sexy man with that damn face gen thing, so I just stuck to the default Shephard, who is still sexy though.

bg2

started TOB and having trouble in saradush

i kill gromnir but melissan wont spawn

grr

I had trouble with that my last time through as well. Ended up just going back and redoing the fight with Gromnir and she spawned the second time around.