DaRK heRoIc FaNTAsy

Somebody should make a crpg where you get to the play the unknown dark evil instead of a dweeby hero type.

MotB? ;)

Yes sort of but not completely. I think a more appropriate example would be, if in NWN2 you were the King of Shadows. I can't really think of a game where you are the main villian, even in Overlord yes you are the villian but not the main one and those you do fight, aren't exactly what I would call heroes/good. I thought Prototype might be different and for most of the game it was,

but in the you saved NY :)

, I think the reason for this is that developers believe the majority want to play the hero and they are right.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I can't really think of a game where you are the main villian, even in Overlord yes you are the villian but not the main one and those you do fight, aren't exactly what I would call heroes/good. I thought Prototype might be different and for most of the game it was,

but in the you saved NY ;)

, I think the reason for this is that developers believe the majority want to play the hero and they are right.

Wario World?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Dungeon Keeper, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord - 2 more examples :p

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

[ I think the reason for this is that developers believe the majority want to play the hero and they are right.

I dunno. I certainly see a lot of threads about playing evil chars, about how developers can't do evil well, and about the joy of killing all the "good" NPCS from Elminster and Drizzt right up to Three Dog.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I can imagine how difficult it could be to write fully evil game with you as a main antagonist, without getting AO rating... By human morals, it's different when you do bad things as a hero for "greater good", and when you do same things as the incarnation of pure evil...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I can imagine how difficult it could be to write fully evil game with you as a main antagonist, without getting AO rating... By human morals, it's different when you do bad things as a hero for "greater good", and when you do same things as the incarnation of pure evil...

More difficult, yes. But not entirely impossible though. Just outsource the creative lead to some sociopath on death row and we have a winner.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

[ I think the reason for this is that developers believe the majority want to play the hero and they are right.

I dunno. I certainly see a lot of threads about playing evil chars, about how developers can't do evil well, and about the joy of killing all the "good" NPCS from Elminster and Drizzt right up to Three Dog.

Well he did say the majority. People who post on the internet are certainly not the majority.

As for good and evil, I prefer neither. ME was certainly a step in the right direction in this regard.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Well he did say the majority. People who post on the internet are certainly not the majority.

True. That's always a valid point. Those who post, especilly regularly, are a pretty small subset of any group.

Still, the fact that "playing evil" topics seem to come up so regularly in crpg forums indicate that there is at least some sort of market for it.

I mean how many times have I seen people posting about how they wiped out Vault CIty or Megaton (and THEN blew it up)?

In many games/movies/books the dark evil force often goes through a period of ascendancy while it tries to gain power to crush all oppostion and blanket the land/world/univers in a second darkness. Very similar to how the "good" player character goes through their ascendancy until they become powerful enough to defeat the rising dark evil. I don't think it owuld be much if a switch to subvert that paradigm a bit.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

More difficult, yes. But not entirely impossible though. Just outsource the creative lead to some sociopath on death row and we have a winner.

I don't really see a sociopath on death row as being a good model for a rising dark evil. That I think is one problem with how developers portray evil, they trivialize it until it becomes cartoonish.

a Rising Dark Evil is neither trivial nor cartoonish. A Rising Dark Evil doesn't sit in jail cells or anything so mundane. OR if it does, only at the very early part of its ascendancy before it ha begun to grow in power.

That I think is one problem with how developers portray evil, they trivialize it until it becomes cartoonish.

So do players.* That's the problem with "evil", what is it exactly?

* I suppose there is a market for cartoonish evil, considering games in which we play the villian (like Overlord) tend to go for the comedic angle.

Edited by Hell Kitty

I think a politics game, or a game about economics, where you played a Gordon Gekko type character would be an arena where you could explore ideas like good and evil without scaring the horses too much. Having said that, and unfashionable as it may be, I think Gordon Gekko isn't necessarily evil...

sonsofgygax.JPG

Did people every though that there's hardly any evil that has been explored in games? No? How about you commit genocide? Oh no no no no! That's "evil"! We can't do this! We gonna have make the sort of "HAW HAW HAW I'm evil I'll eat your babies" sort of evilness. Lame.
And that, I think, is a good example of how players trivialize evil as much as devs do. What do you want to commit genocide for? Historically, genocide has been used as a means to an end, among other reasons, because it's a logistical nightmare. You could raze cities in Rome:TW, but somehow, that never comes up when discussing "evil" in games. It has no place in RPGs because it's out of the scope of those games, not because devs don't take "evil" seriously. Organising a genocide for the sake of "being evil" is more clownish than evil. See Darth Malak.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Kain was the pillar of balance who decided he'd rather lead a blood crusade to rule the world. Instead of saving the world, he opted to crush it under his boot heel. He believes humans are worthless chattel.

Not only is the guy evil, but he is blatantly, stereotypically evil.

But, like Hannibal Lector, he's charismatic, intelligent, and compelling. He has a certain nobility and dignity about him.

Here is another villain I don

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Kratos is evil enough, I think.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Kain was the pillar of balance who decided he'd rather lead a blood crusade to rule the world. Instead of saving the world, he opted to crush it under his boot heel. He believes humans are worthless chattel.

Not only is the guy evil, but he is blatantly, stereotypically evil.

But, like Hannibal Lector, he's charismatic, intelligent, and compelling. He has a certain nobility and dignity about him.

You mean, instead of letting the world be destroyed, or letting the world be destroyed later, he opted for a third option? He didn't orchestrate the mess in Soul Reaver just for kicks.

You're right: one unselfish act means that the thousand years of bloody tyranny totally do not count.

That this unselfish act wasn't all that unselfish and didn't solve the problem is beside the point.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Kratos wasn't evil, but just a product of his time - a time where a victory was only considered complete with the complete annihilation of the enemy's male population & the enslavement of the enemy's female population. All Greek heroes were violent butchers. Achilles for instance single-handedly killed an entire Troyan army when he was sad that his buddy got killed, for instance. He only showed some emotion when he found out too late that he had skewered a hawt Amazone Queen. *shrug*

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.