Witcher port cancellad

Purkake

It would have been like revenge over all the crappy console to PC ports done by crappy software companies over the years.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

But some people just like to pay twice...for some (stupid) reason. :ermm:

I don't buy many games anymore, and I thought The WItcher was a pretty good game, so I decided to go buy the EE as new copy. Treat it as new game, as it were.

It was worth it. :lol:

Havent played it, but was looking at it in the store. So you recommend it? What did you like the most? The least?

I don't buy many games anymore, and I thought The WItcher was a pretty good game, so I decided to go buy the EE as new copy. Treat it as new game, as it were.

It was worth it. >_<

Havent played it, but was looking at it in the store. So you recommend it? What did you like the most? The least?

It's a well structured and well paced RPG that, however, lacks good writing and likeable characters. It's still recommandable providing you're starving for a solid RPG.

Found the writing well done, but a little more obscure in places than I might have expected.

Found the characters likable enough, too. Certainly less pronounced as characters than, say, a Bioware cast, which IMO tends to stick to the archetypes and extremely strong character traits -- all angst and high draaaama -- but they were likable enough. No one really sticks out, though... which can be considered a good thing, depending on your point of view. No over-the-top caricatures like a Minsc-and-Boo to resonate through the gaming ages.

Bought the game twice myself, though. First time was because I wasn't at all certain I'd still be able to find the thing by the time I got a computer capable of running it, and the EE was because there was no way in heck I was going to be investing that much time and effort downloading a patch that size on a 56K modem. Don't regret either purchase, actually. With games that I like, I enjoy seeing a certain amount of that "making of" material, and seeing just how much the game has changed from one iteration to the next. Besides, is not like there's a ton of games on my plate these days, forcing me to choose which ones I can afford to buy or find the time to play.

As for the console port getting canned... *shrugs* Wasn't going to get it anyway. No console. Unless this news is a sign that the entire company is going belly-up in its fishbowl, colour me ambivalent. Well... maaaybe I'll admit to seeing it in a slightly positive light -- the less resources they waste on a version of the game I don't want, the more resources they'll have to spend on a game that I do, right? Hopefully, anyway. Is a minor hope that. Mostly I'm just... *shrugs* Ok. Whatever.

What the hell. All their games have got horrible reviews. Looks like CDProject wanted to use some very low budget development house to port their game.

They merely wanted their engine I think...

Now I wonder : apparently The Witcher 2 was supposed to be multi-platforms. With the console version of the first game being canned, will this game remain like this or will it go only to PC?

It was worth it. >_<

It might be a little too linear and story based for your tastes.

It is somewhat non-linear but not completely sandbox. There is quite a bit of chocie and consquence, but very little right and wrong.

COmbat is pretty much Diablo-esque clicking. The skill system is not the greatest or most varied.

I would almost call it an adventure game with a lot of combat rather than a crpg.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I liked the combat, it really gives the player the feel of keeping up the momentum in the witcher sword styles. The magic is quite overpowered, though. You can easily max out Aard, Yrden & Igni signs and finish the game without any melee combat.

The story is good, but for somebody who read the books the beginning doesn't make any sense at all... but hopefully the Witcher 2 (if/when if comes out) will shed some more light on this. >_<

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I liked the combat, it really gives the player the feel of keeping up the momentum in the witcher sword styles. The magic is quite overpowered, though. You can easily max out Aard, Yrden & Igni signs and finish the game without any melee combat.

The story is good, but for somebody who read the books the beginning doesn't make any sense at all... but hopefully the Witcher 2 (if/when if comes out) will shed some more light on this. >_<

This really bugged me.

Could anyone who has read the book(s) answer this: did you feel that the Witcher license added anything significant to the game/story or would it have worked as well/better with an original IP?

Without too much spoilers if possible :lol: (For the game that is, I could care less about the book.)

Edited by Purkake

The game (imo) succeeds both in recreating Sapkowski's gritty medieval world and does well in introducing the main themes from the books - mainly mistrust between humans & non-humans -

The game takes place a few years after the end of the books, and basically deals with the 'aftermath' of certain big events in the books. I just have problems with the beginning of the game which doesn't make sense at all (and is never resolved or explained either), but the story as a whole is very agreeable with what Sapkowski wrote. In fact, I remember reading an interview with Sapkowski where he said he liked the story, but can't find it right now.

One of the best parts in the game (for me) is how the game alludes to events in the books, and how certain book events have ramifications on the game's story. Seeing book characters appear in game is nice too.

EDIT: Link

Madej: Andrzej Sapkowski is quite an old guy - he's almost 70 - and because there was an incredibly bad movie in Poland based on his books he'd had bad experiences. He was really afraid that we'd make a bad game.

Initially he said 'I've sold you the license, I just want the money, I'm not interested,' but after one or two years, he realised that it looked good, and the story was interesting, and got more and more involved. He began to help us to create the map of the world, which was something he'd never done before.

He was really excited - by the end he said it was the sort of thing that he'd always wanted to create. Him saying that was almost as important as what gamers thought and the review scores we got. We had created something that even the original author found exciting.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Witcher 2 is coming to consoles anyway. Once the unwashed console-playing masses have experience the brilliance, they'll demand a port of the first game.

First releasing Witcher 2, then the first one.

Makes total sense. :thumbsup:

Only from a business and creative standpoint.

Huh, well that's a shame. The Witcher was a good game and a beautiful one at that. It got a little repetitive at the end, but I liked the world and the characters. The story was also pretty interesting, with a nice quirky twist at the end.

I really hope the second game expands on the characters more with a deeper story. Watching the ending cinematic, it looks like it'll be interesting.