Witcher port cancellad

Purkake

Actually, I firmly believe that every game should have its own -Kart spinoff.

Warhammer 40k-Kart. Hm, that could work. True shame about the people being laid off, the console game dying is meaningless to me as I don't play those games. Shame, I wanted to see Yahtzee review this and maybe BS some more. :p

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Uhh, White wolf is canned, witcher 2 is a go. Both were supposed to be cross platform. What does this have to do with console versus PC.

Because it gives a sense of superiority against 'them', silly.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That's sad to hear, but CDR should never have bothered with the Enhanced Edition, as they lost a whole year on making basically the same game instead of using these ressources to get straight to the console ports. I mean who gives a **** about some re-made art assets and some re-recorded lines? It's still the same game with the same strengths and flaws. Console ports should have been released around Holiday 2008 and CDR would be doing fine today.

But hey, the PC fans and all that...

They recorded 5000 more lines and they also had problems with the VA in Germeny. There was a lot of complaining about those things. The Enhanced Edition probably helped it here. The real issue seems to be that they tried to juggle 3 Witcher projects plus that shooter they have cooking

That's sad to hear, but CDR should never have bothered with the Enhanced Edition, as they lost a whole year on making basically the same game instead of using these ressources to get straight to the console ports. I mean who gives a **** about some re-made art assets and some re-recorded lines? It's still the same game with the same strengths and flaws. Console ports should have been released around Holiday 2008 and CDR would be doing fine today.

But hey, the PC fans and all that...

Eh if anything they should have charged for it, if you want to think that way, as they allowed existing owners to download it all for free. Still, glad that they were nice to their fans by releasing a touched up version. Not sure what the "the PC fans and all that" is about, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guest PoziomyPion
CDP_RED said:

April 29, 2009 at 5:45 pm

It is sad that we cannot talk with WSG in normal business way, but communicate through media. It is absolutely not our style of making business, and we answer here as we feel forced to do this to clarify the unclear information:

1. All payments were done on time according to milestone plan.

2. Truth is that payments were later than originally planned but this was solely due to delays in production. The delays were growing in the project due to WSG continued to miss the deadlines.

3. Delays and risks of further development by WSG were unacceptable by CD Projekt (this happened even though CDProjekt RED was constantly increasing main team involvement to help in the production). The most important fact is that development process didn’t make planned release date possible and moreover propositions of the new release date were changing few times. Besides the schedule, technical incapability created a risk of missing planned quality which is absolutely unacceptable. And this brought an end in our cooperation with WSG.

4. Currently the works are on hold. We are evaluating all possible options to continue the production.

Making this decision was extremely difficult and sad as we know that many people are waiting for this project. We do our best to find a way out of this situation. But final decision must guarantee high quality of the product, otherwise we won’t continue the production no matter what consequences it will bring. We are committed to the highest quality of all our games, and this is unnegotiable for us.

So no matter what the final decision or solution we will find, please be sure that it will be the best for the game quality, and satisfaction of gamers, which is the most important for us!

Michal Kicinski

Joint CEO

CD Projekt Group

SOURCE: http://www.vg247.com/2009/04/29/confirmed-...o-meet-payment/

So to put it shortly Widescreen Games say they stopped working on the port, cause they werent paid by CDProjekt.

CDProjekt said they paid money, admit they did it later, but only because Widescreen Games screwed up, didn;t meet the deadlines etc, even when CDProjekt assigned CDProjektRED studio to help them. CDProjekt also complains WSG won't communicate with them directly, instead they leak info to internet media. There is still chance for the port to happen.

Seems like WSG wanted to save their reputation(its not nice to be know as a company that screwed up A PORT of a PC game) and leaked all this info to teh internets to cover their asses. It explains why very recently the Witchers site was updated every week and recently PSXtreme (Polish console mag) had a big preview of the game(the issue came this month).Noone saw it coming like that. It would expalin why all this cancellation is so sudden.

I hope I make some sense :o

Edited by PoziomyPion

*lots of text*

Seems like the good old case of "you don't really want to know the petty little details". I doesn't really matter who's fault it was.

I just hope that Good Old Games won't suffer because of this, they haven't even got System Shock 2 or any of the IE games up there.

Edited by Purkake

Being "nice" to the fans is often counter-productive, if not harmful for your business. I agree, they should have at least charged for the Enhanced Edition, but then the so called nice fans would have bitched and mouned like hell. Don't coddle the fans too much.

Well I'll make a note of that, heh. Not really sure how the concept of the EE was counterproductive in anyway, I'm curious to see how many new sales they made off it though. If they did charge for it, say a little fee of $10, most of the existing owners might have purchased it still I think, rather than bitch. The box came with a bunch of other "goodies". In any event, this isn't that big a loss.

Being "nice" to the fans is often counter-productive, if not harmful for your business. I agree, they should have at least charged for the Enhanced Edition, but then the so called nice fans would have bitched and mouned like hell. Don't coddle the fans too much.

I bought the regular edition and the EE a year later. So, from me they got paid twice for the game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The EE version was the *reason* I bought the game. This fan doesn't mind being pampered a bit every now and then :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I bought the regular edition and the EE a year later. So, from me they got paid twice for the game.

Well, your fault, as the upgrade to the EE was actually for free.

But some people just like to pay twice...for some (stupid) reason. :)

Not stupid, I'd like to have a physical copy of both. The extras are pretty nice, like the map and the extra DVDs (not sure if you could download those, but it saves you the hassle of burning).

Are you saying CrashGirl is stupid? Because that wouldn't be very nice.

I bought the normal version for like 20 US dollars; then I bought the Enhaced Edition for the full prize - just to support an indie developer and publisher like CD RED Project. I certainly don't think anyone that did this are stupid; they probably just like to support CD RED Project.

I also like to have to retail discs of my games - just to be on the safe side...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

But some people just like to pay twice...for some (stupid) reason. :)

I don't buy many games anymore, and I thought The WItcher was a pretty good game, so I decided to go buy the EE as new copy. Treat it as new game, as it were.

It was worth it. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

just to support an indie developer and publisher like CD RED Project.

Wut.

1. CDProject != CDProject RED. RED is a development team, CDP is a big Polish publisher.

2. CDPR isn't indie. If memory serves right, the budget of The Witcher was above 1 million of evergreen American dollars. That's rather more than, say, Vogel has at his disposal.

20795.jpg