Mafia II

Purkake

I paid through paypal and it went very smoothly, but a friend of mine chose on of the other alternatives and got hijacked to some extremely dodgy russian scammy pay thing so he had to cancel his VISA card.

It is a mafia game, what did you expect? :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I paid through paypal and it went very smoothly, but a friend of mine chose on of the other alternatives and got hijacked to some extremely dodgy russian scammy pay thing so he had to cancel his VISA card.

Geez, could you link me to the Paypal option or something? I'm trying to pre-order Fallout: New Vegas and I'm only getting the "other alternatives"! There is no Paypal option, only Alertpay, Moneybookers, Paysafe and Gift certificates. Same with Mafia 2, Just Cause 2 etc.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have Paypal as an option right above gift certificate?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have Paypal as an option right above gift certificate?

Could you check again and post a screendump of that page or something? I am either doing something horribly wrong or you're a special VIP of the Internet that gets extra cool features on every website you visit.

I would hate for the latter to be true.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

According to a reviewer there's a cool nod to the first game's ending towards the middle of the game.

The embargo on reviews is lifted tomorrow at noon EST by the way.

Looking forward to the press taking a dump on it because of the poor performance on consoles.

GTA IV was the best game ever made and someone even said it should get an Oscar back when it was reviewed, so obviously Mafia II can't beat that. Just to be compared to it is a high honor.

Oh and here's a nice comparison shot that I stole from NeoGAF:

pooebi6.gif

Edited by Purkake

Looking forward to the press taking a dump on it because of the poor performance on consoles.

Performance on consoles isn't as big of an issue as you seem to think, but like I said before it really all depends on how demanding you are.

The biggest issue in reviews so far is that it's an open world game that doesn't really need to be in an open world. A linear set of missions that can be completed in roughly 10 hours, with very little to do outside those missions.

Does anyone know if the european version is available for pre-load?

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Performance on consoles isn't as big of an issue as you seem to think, but like I said before it really all depends on how demanding you are.

The biggest issue in reviews so far is that it's an open world game that doesn't really need to be in an open world. A linear set of missions that can be completed in roughly 10 hours, with very little to do outside those missions.

You're right, it's getting 7s and 8s mostly with a few higher scores thrown in.

Does anyone know if the european version is available for pre-load?

I think GAF was complaining about the lack of pre-load, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by Purkake

You can unlock the euro steam version with a bit of proxy fiddling, and I have to say this game is brilliant. The mediocre review scores are probably due to 2K not bribing the media enough to get GTA4 like scores, because its just as good if not better. Its not as gigantic and detailed, but it looks and plays much better and the story is really good for a videogame.

After playing the demo a few times, I did decide not to buy Mafia 2 because of the lack of a real open-world stuff. I was amazed at first, but I can see where the knocks are coming in. It kinda portrays itself as a possible sandbox game, I mean it's a beautiful world with a ton of car variety, but apparently it is really just about the story. That is good and all, but I'll spend the whole story looking out the window sighing that my exploration urges aren't being satisfied.

Give me giant numbers flashing across the screen when I blow stuff up and fly through the air at least! I'll go back to Just Cause 2, I suppose.

Personally, I think its brilliant to have this huge pretty city to muck about in without having it chock full of retarded minigames. It's a rock-solid game and if you buy into the smear campaign going on against it, then you're missing out on something really great. They're handing out 6's and 7's to a game that is a clear 9/10