Mafia II

Purkake

Looks cool, though way too much shooting, but I assume that's just the trailer. If there's hiding bodies, double-dealing and such it's good, and they seem to have the style spot on.

• 4 months later...

A demo should be coming as well.

Mafia II will be getting a demo to PS3, Xbox 360, and PC this August ahead of its release on August 24th! Stay tuned for an exact download date, and get ready to step into Empire Bay.

The original Mafia was a nicely paced story and everything flowed smoothly. The car action wasn't so much fun, but then it was the clunkers of the 20's / 30's so yeah, they were slow and cornered like a cow with broken ankles. A dead cow with broken ankles.

So it's going to be interesting to see what they do with the sequel...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The original Mafia was a nicely paced story and everything flowed smoothly. The car action wasn't so much fun, but then it was the clunkers of the 20's / 30's so yeah, they were slow and cornered like a cow with broken ankles. A dead cow with broken ankles.

So it's going to be interesting to see what they do with the sequel...

It was the first game where you could shoot out tires and wheels, as far as I know anyway.

Also it didn't reset the world when you started a quest like GTA, so you could do fun stuff like shoot out the tires of the bad guy's getaway car and watch him crash into the first lamppost when trying to get away.

The stealth stuff is kind of bad and that one mission in the docks where you have to carry crates around sucked, but overall it's a great story mixed in with some nicely varied missions.

We never talk about the racing mission, however. Never!

I really enjoyed the clunky cars of Mafia 1 and some of the other "realism" stuff. I especially liked how, when you actually did get up to high speeds in car chases and whatnot, driving felt pretty damn dangerous. I'm pretty sure that Mafia 2 will be a damn fine game but I do worry a bit that they'll make it a bit too arcadey.

I also really loved just having a game like that set in the 20s/30s because I love that time period, and driving around listening to Django was just awesome. I'm not nearly as much of a fan of the time period in Mafia 2.

*whine whine*

But the game looks like a lot of fun. I hope there won't be a return of some of the more crappy missions in the first game.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

As time goes by I'm thinking Mafia is not my thing - I like Hitman-style sneaking, hiding bodies and infiltration, but I don't like GTA-style games and I doubt I'll have much fun driving cars or shootin gpeople in the face. And it's sounding like thel atter will be the core gameplay? I don't know if that was the case with the first one?

As time goes by I'm thinking Mafia is not my thing - I like Hitman-style sneaking, hiding bodies and infiltration, but I don't like GTA-style games and I doubt I'll have much fun driving cars or shootin gpeople in the face. And it's sounding like thel atter will be the core gameplay? I don't know if that was the case with the first one?

Essentially

• 3 weeks later...

It's only about 10-15 minutes of gameplay when you get down to it. And I like the warning "this is only intended as a demo, this level in the game will not be the same way"..

Still, doesn't look too bad.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."