Mafia II

Purkake

Heh, and the demo has 5 "hidden" playboys to find apparently.

Are there some other collectibles to find in the 10 minutes you can spend wandering around the city?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The console people aren't going to turn to PC piracy just to play Mafia II(or have gaming capable PCs), they will most likely just ignore it if the reviews are bad.

I know.

The PC pirates, on the other hand... >_<

Can't really blame them if they don't want to bother with steam. Not saying that's the only reason they'll do it ofcourse, just as a thought.

Played the demo, it's a bit short, but I liked what I saw.

Driving feels natural, shooting and cover feels alright, graphics is good, it runs smooth, the setting is cool.

So what's not to like?

Have'nt tried Sim-driving yet, since they did'nt include Steeringwheel support for PC.. (Seriously, wth?)

Annoyed that they don't have manual gears and that the shooting felt really, really easy. Plus that the game seems to have really short "memory" so to speak, cars dissapear really fast for instance, if you spot one you want, turn around and it goes behind a corner - it's gone. Don't remember that from the previous game.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The console people aren't going to turn to PC piracy just to play Mafia II(or have gaming capable PCs), they will most likely just ignore it if the reviews are bad.

I know.

The PC pirates, on the other hand... >_<

Can't really blame them if they don't want to bother with steam. Not saying that's the only reason they'll do it ofcourse, just as a thought.

We're not having another DRM discussion flame war, not in my thread.

The manual gear shifting was really cool in the original, it would be a shame to lose it.

Edited by Purkake

Have'nt tried Sim-driving yet, since they did'nt include Steeringwheel support for PC.. (Seriously, wth?)

Annoyed that they don't have manual gears and that the shooting felt really, really easy. Plus that the game seems to have really short "memory" so to speak, cars dissapear really fast for instance, if you spot one you want, turn around and it goes behind a corner - it's gone. Don't remember that from the previous game.

Well the full game might have a better "memory".. it could be one of the things they trimmed down for the demo so it wouldn't take up that much room...

Speaking of memory: (via NeoGAF)

I robbed a diner and then later I came back to the same diner. There were two policemen taking a report from the lady and when I walked in she said, "There he is!" and the police proceeded to chase me :lol

I reckon that's a scripted event though, but it's a nice touch!

The manual gear shifting was really cool in the original, it would be a shame to lose it.

I won't go further, I pwomise.

And yes, the loss of manual shifting is an annoyance, if you use the limiter the sound the engine makes becomes really boring and monotone, and if you try to hit the sweetspot the game downshifts. Some might say it's an minor annoyance, but it's all in the small details.

Well the full game might have a better "memory".. it could be one of the things they trimmed down for the demo so it wouldn't take up that much room...

I hope so, but I'm not really holding my breath - it might be a legacy of the multiformat production, GTA games has this problem aswell.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I won't go further, I pwomise.

And yes, the loss of manual shifting is an annoyance, if you use the limiter the sound the engine makes becomes really boring and monotone, and if you try to hit the sweetspot the game downshifts. Some might say it's an minor annoyance, but it's all in the small details.

At least you can turn light on/off and flush toilets. Not many games have that stuff anymore >_<

At least you can turn light on/off and flush toilets. Not many games have that stuff anymore >_<

Quite true, I remember that from Duke Nukem 3D! Small joys atleast, eh? :p

Will definitely have to download this, with all this praise.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Heh, and the demo has 5 "hidden" playboys to find apparently.

I've only found the one in your kitchen.

I'd post a screenshot, but since it's not a picture of mutilated human being shot at or sadistic violence with dismemberment and intestants everywhere, the Americans on this forum might take offence. Naked polygon women might seriously damage your mental health.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think the playboy picture is from a real playboy.

After playing some more I find the gunplay very satisfying with people dying with one or two shots and the guns sounding and feeling like real guns instead of the peashooters in some games. The reticles are absurdly large for some raeson, though and the cover system is a bit janky. All in all, very satisfying.

I think the playboy picture is from a real playboy.

After playing some more I find the gunplay very satisfying with people dying with one or two shots and the guns sounding and feeling like real guns instead of the peashooters in some games. The reticles are absurdly large for some raeson, though and the cover system is a bit janky. All in all, very satisfying.

And if you turn a corner and take a shotgun blast at a range of about 2'... you will die.

I like that you die so fast. Even though it has regenerating health, the guns are serious in this game. I did exactly what Raithe said: walked through a doorway and was met by a guy with a shotgun. Boom, instant death.

I've now found four out of five Playboy pictures. They were really easy to find and I have a clue where the last one is, but I ran out of time. I hope they aren't this obvious in the real game, although there'll be 50 of them there.

Should I try posting them in the screenshot thread?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Game does seem pretty fun. Heard the single player is pretty short though, but still, will consider buying it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, but freeride will get boring for me quickly. Hopefully the short SP reports were just on the critical path not sidequests and things, then. Maybe I'll wait for reviews :)