Americans can't do anything right

Gromnir

Yeah, but this isn't the nineteenth century. People object if you start whalloping civilian areas merely as a deterrent. Besides, weren't you listening to the man? Gunboat policing don't work. I particularly doubt it would work with Somalis who are tough SOBs.

EDIT: The point to hit them is not the dinky pirate boats. The point to hit them is in the money transfer and holding system so they can't profit fom the actions. No profit, no action.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Instead of a commerce raider, make a pirate raider. Disguise a warship as a merchant ship and have it go through the waters. Pirates will eventually attack it and...kaboom!

Okay maybe it's just me...

Worked in the First World War, when 'Q' Ships where used against German submarines along the UK coastline. They were exactly as you describe - converted merchant vessels fitted with naval guns. A U-Boat tactic was to surface and threaten the merchantman with it's deckguns before torpedoing it. When they did the 'Q' Ship would open fire.

Cheers

MC

Yes I know ;)

I believe they were also utilized in the second world war, but unrestricted submarine warfare made it less useful. Speaking of...I should load up Silent Hunter IV again...

Escalation ensue:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090410/ap_on_re_af/piracy

NAIROBI, Kenya

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

This thing is escalating. I'm guessing it is going to go bad in a major way, and I doubt the pirates are going to fare very well. Seriously, if I was a pirate and I heard that a bunch of big warships were surrounding another pirate, I wouldn't exactly be running to back up my pirate compadre.

These are criminals and terrorists, you do not negotiate with such scum. You kill them.

Can I extend this comment by asking what the **** has got into you recently?

Lets just say that I am really getting sick and tired of all the jackholes in the world and thinking I need to go on a jackhole hunt with a 12 gauge shotgun and willie pete rounds.

In this matter, we need to teach these pirate scum not to mess with Americans. We may kill the hostage, but by attacking we can make sure these pirates will never again prey on others.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Pirates up the ante by hijacking another ship.

NAIROBI, Kenya

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Unbelievable. The US Navy is in a standoff....with a frakking dingy.

Waiting to see who opens fire first?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Some World Bank d00d finds oil. Send in a few economic hitmen and a handful of CIA-agenst, and create chaos. Get the local idiots somewhat organized, tell them to hunt freighters for a few weeks to get media attention. Hijack a WFP ship full of food'n supplies. Have the warships stand by quietly while the hostage is killed. People start screaming for US military presence. Move in and a take charge. "Restore peace". Grab the l00t with the support of a distracted and deceived public.

A.... B... C..

You're.. being.... duped..

again.

J.

Some World Bank d00d finds oil. Send in a few economic hitmen and a handful of CIA-agenst, and create chaos. Get the local idiots somewhat organized, tell them to hunt freighters for a few weeks to get media attention. Hijack a WFP ship full of food'n supplies. Have the warships stand by quietly while the hostage is killed. People start screaming for US military presence. Move in and a take charge. "Restore peace". Grab the l00t with the support of a distracted and deceived public.

A.... B... C..

You're.. being.... duped..

again.

J.

conspiracy.jpg

Wake up kid. The warships aren't there to save the world. They ain't laying pipes in Afghanistan to help the Afghanis build a new country either. You may of course choose to believe that, if it's too hard for you to face the truth.

Start out with this one.. a little something to warm you up.

J.

Even the peole who say they're telling the truth can lie. Why do assume the conspiracy theorists are telling the truth?

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Wake up kid. The warships aren't there to save the world. They ain't laying pipes in Afghanistan to help the Afghanis build a new country either. You may of course choose to believe that, if it's too hard for you to face the truth.

Start out with this one.. a little something to warm you up.

J.

Yeah, thanks, "kid." :)-_-

Unbelievable. The US Navy is in a standoff....with a frakking dingy.

Waiting to see who opens fire first?

It makes sense-- time is on the Navy's side here. Give the pirates a day or two in an extremely hot, poorly ventilated, cramped lifeboat with no toilet and nothing but hardtack and water that's been in ziploc bags for 5 years. Compound that with their total lack of a feasible plan to walk away from this thing alive and free, and their willingness to trade the hostage for their lives will rise with each passing hour.

Even the peole who say they're telling the truth can lie. Why do assume the conspiracy theorists are telling the truth?

I'm not talking about conspiracy theorists. More and more people with first hand experience of what's going on are coming out and talking about their lives. Especially after 9/11. Check out John Perkins and Aaron Russo to start with. Heck, even the Rothschilds and Rockefellers themselves partially admit that they're into coercive population control (basically; genocide) in Africa through messing with water management etc. They like to think of themselves as humanitarians, regulating the population of the world for the benefit of mankind.

Of course, if you wanna stick your head in the sand..

If you move your eyes away from cnn.com for just a second and dare to try something new, you can start by checking out sites like this:

Thursday 25 January 2007 by Wanjohi Kabukuru (a Nairobi-based freelance journalist), http://www.alterinter.org/

"Four US oil companies, namely Conoco, Chevron, Amoco and Philips have concessions in nearly two thirds of Somalia. This quartet of oil conglomerates was granted these contracts in the final days of Somalia

I'm not talking about conspiracy theorists. More and more people with first hand experience of what's going on are coming out and talking about their lives. Especially after 9/11. Check out John Perkins and Aaron Russo to start with. Heck, even the Rothschilds and Rockefellers themselves partially admit that they're into coercive population control (basically; genocide) in Africa through messing with water management etc. They like to think of themselves as humanitarians, regulating the population of the world for the benefit of mankind.

Of course, if you wanna stick your head in the sand..

If you move your eyes away from cnn.com for just a second and dare to try something new, you can start by checking out sites like this:

Thursday 25 January 2007 by Wanjohi Kabukuru (a Nairobi-based freelance journalist), http://www.alterinter.org/

"Four US oil companies, namely Conoco, Chevron, Amoco and Philips have concessions in nearly two thirds of Somalia. This quartet of oil conglomerates was granted these contracts in the final days of Somalia

Back on-topic, BBC news reporting that the Captain has been rescued. Three pirates died in the operation, one arrested.

Congratulations to the US military for pulling off what looks like a tricky operation at sea. Am particularly glad that this ended safely for the Captain.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

These are criminals and terrorists, you do not negotiate with such scum. You kill them.

If only the solution was so easy. I'm afraid you'll have to fix the situation in Somalia first though, or else new pirates will just keep appearing as soon as you've killed off the old ones.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

If its anything like CoD4, they should be in and out within 20 minutes, with the only incident being two MiGs firing and sinking the cruiser.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Then they can die as well. The only people who can truly fix the situation in Somalia are the Somalians.

So we kill all the pirates until there are no Somalians left alive?

And here I thought economic and developmental aid was the path to victory. My bad!

How silly of you Krezack! Everyone knows that aid=death!

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Navy Seals pop a cap in pirates asses. Pirates angry.

MOMBASA, Kenya - In a daring high-seas rescue, U.S. Navy SEAL snipers killed three Somali pirates and freed the American sea captain who had offered himself as a hostage to save his crew.

The operation was a victory for the world's most powerful military but angry pirates vowed Monday to retaliate.

Those threats raised fears for the safety of some 230 foreign sailors still held hostage in more than a dozen ships anchored off the coast of lawless Somalia.

"From now on, if we capture foreign ships and their respective countries try to attack us, we will kill them (the hostages)," Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old pirate, told the Associated Press from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl. "(U.S. forces have) become our No. 1 enemy."

News of Capt. Richard Phillips' rescue caused his crew in Kenya to break into wild cheers and brought tears to the eyes of those in Phillips' hometown of Underhill, Vermont, half a world away from the Indian Ocean drama.

~snip~