Americans can't do anything right

Gromnir

If we are going strictly on definition, obesity really only applies to BMI scores. You have to factor in height and mass, not just weight. Obesity is when your BMI score is over 30, and there are various stages of obesity. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than that weight to height ratio scale I've seen around, those don't factor in muscle mass at all.

I thought this was a thread about piracy, not gilded racism? I must have been mistaken, and apologise. I just have one question: if someone is a first generation American, born to, say Swahili parents, can I be racist about them, or do they not count?

Um...sure, they count. Why wouldn't they? Americans aren't a race.

And you can name a nationality that is?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I thought this was a thread about piracy, not gilded racism? I must have been mistaken, and apologise. I just have one question: if someone is a first generation American, born to, say Swahili parents, can I be racist about them, or do they not count?

Um...sure, they count. Why wouldn't they? Americans aren't a race.

And you can name a nationality that is?

Not really, unless you want to consider Israelis/Jews. But in general, nationality != race.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

American isn't usually considered a race, mostly because of the short history of most inhabitants here. Many Americans can trace their roots back to a different country in just a few generations. American Indians tend to associate their heritage to a specific tribe.

If we are going strictly on definition, obesity really only applies to BMI scores. You have to factor in height and mass, not just weight. Obesity is when your BMI score is over 30, and there are various stages of obesity. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than that weight to height ratio scale I've seen around, those don't factor in muscle mass at all.

BMI is brutal, because it is literally just a ratio of weight to height (squared). It doesn't factor in muscle mass at all either.

The formula for BMI, in SI units is literally: weight/height^2

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of a different test. When I had my body fat measured a few years ago, they took a ton of measurements from different parts of my body and then factored it out. I was at 11%. I'm probably closer to 20% now though, all the baby weight I gained.

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of a different test. When I had my body fat measured a few years ago, they took a ton of measurements from different parts of my body and then factored it out. I was at 11%. I'm probably closer to 20% now though, all the baby weight I gained.

I think I've heard of that one.

I had a different test. I stood on metal 'scales' with bare feet and the scales sent an electrical current through me and showed up a number like normal digital weight scales. It was 7%.

Description Women Men

Essential fat 10

I did that electric current test last year and ended up at 2%. The bmi scale put me at 7%. I tend to believe the electric test.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I did that electric current test last year and ended up at 2%. The bmi scale put me at 7%. I tend to believe the electric test.

I wouldn't. 2% body fat is ridiculously low. Even for professional athletes.

I am also ridiculously underweight, so it sort of makes sense.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

So if you think your body fat now really is 20% or so I'd suggest a reasonably significant life-style change. If anything, I probably need to gain body fat, although I imagine I have done so over the years since this was 4 years ago and I'm now 21.

Hey, I'm in the acceptable range, lay off! :thumbsup:

I really am starting to feel it now at 30, too. 8 years ago, it didn't matter what I ate, as long as I played hockey on a regular basis. Now I've been unable to shake the pounds, even when playing a lot of hockey. I should probably cut out cookies or ice cream.

Yeah, well if you think it goes downhill at 30, it picks up a lot of steam by the time you're 40. I've always been a big guy, but I've only been obese over the last ten years. I want to get back to my 200-220 pound range. I was strong as an bull, thick as a tree, and lean in all the right places. Now I'm strong as a cow, thick as wax paper, and lean in my pocketbook. I'll probably start pumping iron again. I don't think I'll ever get back to the shape I was in during my twenties but losing some weight and feeling better would be good.

Of course, this has nothing to do with pirates, but it would be base hypocrisy for me to complain about topic evolution.

A few stats from this week's Economist:

About 20,000 ships go through the Sea of Aden every year. In 2008, there were 111 pirate attacks, 42 of which successfully hijacked a ship. So far this year, the rate of attacks has risen, but the percentage of them that are successful has fallen (18 captures out of 68 attacks). In other words, it's not at all surprising that the primary response has been to take the risk and pay the ransom if the ship is caught. The best precaution is probably to increase a ship's crew, so that you can have full-time lookouts on duty when in dangerous waters. Spotting suspicious-looking vessels early and outrunning them is the best way not to get hijacked, it seems.

Edited by Enoch