Americans can't do anything right

Gromnir

Top Nation always gets it in the neck, 'tis just the way it is. As an Englishman, I know this. We haven't been Top Nation for many years, yet we still suffer residual hatred for it.

Personally, having lived and travelled extensively in the USA, I find these stereotypes amusing (altho' the notion of two coastlines occupied by liberal elites flanking a big central bit full of Conservatives strikes me as having a little merit as a crude generalisation). That the USA doggedly refuses to see itself as an Empire (of sorts admittedly, the Pax Americana is a subtle but tangible thing) is part of the problem.

When all is said and done, Euro liberals, who've lived under the umbrella of US military protection for sixty-odd years really should ask themselves if they'd prefer Russia or China to be providing it, and what the quid pro quo might be.

I know where I am on that one, which is with Uncle Sam.

P.S. Three simultaneous head shots on three moving targets from a pitching / yawing firing platform is no mean feat of arms. Semper Fi and all that.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

nm

I can only assume you were trying to say something but your mouth was clogged with undiscovered deposits of oil.

maybe it is seal blubber 'stead o' oil.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1639801.stm

oddly enough, it would seem that in 2004/2005 norway went ahead with their dubious plans, and now all o' you aspiring seal clubbers can goes to norway for holiday. huzzah!

have always been fascinated by the generalizations 'bout America and Americans we sees bandied 'bout by european and asians. Americans is fat, lazy and stoopid... and America is some kinda evil world tyrant-wannabe out to protect its oil interests. such notions is very simple and convenient, and is resilient beyond all imagining. having spent time teaching and studying in europe, we were surprised to find that the euro college students we met weren't any smarter than their counterparts across the pond. what really amazed us were the fact that our euro students and colleagues, after some considerable time, were able to disabuse themselves of the notion that Gromnir were fat, lazy and stoopid, but they never seemed to be able to take next step and shake off the preconception that Americans in general was fat, lazy and stoopid. our existence somehow became for them the exception that proved the rule.

for folks who not know and don't wish to learn, it is far more comfortable to embrace a simplistic pov. perhaps a cultural anthropologist could explain better-- some primitive blames floods and changes of seasons and plagues on God/Gods 'cause such an explanation is convenient and ultimately unassailable. 'course the modern primitive is too sophisticated to believe in God, so he instead blames evils on America and its lust for oil.

will be amusing if junai gets offended by our hasty generalizations.

HA! Good Fun!

Norski nincompoop will always be your loyal whipping boy..

Basically deleted my post because I started to sound like a broken record (go figure).

Anyway, I'm not blaming the US alone for the situation in Somalia. Some pretty prominent italian newspapers were pretty wired a few yrs ago when they discovered that the mafia was well paid for dumping hospital- and nuclear waste off the coast of Somalia, rustic barrels of pure poison which washed up on the shores after the tsunami. Pretty fsckig disgusting. People walk around with bleeding mouths and radiation sickness. Last year, 700 freighters were fishing illegaly in Somali waters, cutting the locals' nets, pushing the Somalis away.

Pirates?.. heh, Sid Meier should make a new game.

It's just sad. Really.. really sad.

J.

maybe it is seal blubber 'stead o' oil.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1639801.stm

oddly enough, it would seem that in 2004/2005 norway went ahead with their dubious plans, and now all o' you aspiring seal clubbers can goes to norway for holiday. huzzah!

have always been fascinated by the generalizations 'bout America and Americans we sees bandied 'bout by european and asians. Americans is fat, lazy and stoopid... and America is some kinda evil world tyrant-wannabe out to protect its oil interests. such notions is very simple and convenient, and is resilient beyond all imagining. having spent time teaching and studying in europe, we were surprised to find that the euro college students we met weren't any smarter than their counterparts across the pond. what really amazed us were the fact that our euro students and colleagues, after some considerable time, were able to disabuse themselves of the notion that Gromnir were fat, lazy and stoopid, but they never seemed to be able to take next step and shake off the preconception that Americans in general was fat, lazy and stoopid. our existence somehow became for them the exception that proved the rule.

for folks who not know and don't wish to learn, it is far more comfortable to embrace a simplistic pov. perhaps a cultural anthropologist could explain better-- some primitive blames floods and changes of seasons and plagues on God/Gods 'cause such an explanation is convenient and ultimately unassailable. 'course the modern primitive is too sophisticated to believe in God, so he instead blames evils on America and its lust for oil.

will be amusing if junai gets offended by our hasty generalizations.

HA! Good Fun!

About americans being fat... Maybe the reason is that obesity is more prevalent in the US than in other countries? In that case, the prejudice that all American are fat can be easily explained, and is as reasonable as any prejudice. And even though all prejudices by definition are inferior to knowing the actual facts, honestly, who is without prejudices altogether?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

This world is a cold and callous place, Krezy. If you are in dire straits then the only one who can get you out of it is yourself. Expect no one to help you. If you cannot then you are to blame. Not the government. Not your neighbor. You, and only you. This applies to me, Walsh, Volourn, and Somalia. No one is innocent, Krezy. Innocence is an illusion.

If that was a serious comment, then it would be interesting to hear your comments on the evolution of altruism, for example the one modeled by applying a genetic algorithm to the iterated prisoner's dilemma. Both forgiveness and sharing without being guaranteed getting something back are behavioural traits which are favoured by evolution. Now, I don't know about you, but I feel I am living in an (at least in many ways) altruistic society and that altruism is perfectly natural.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Never thought I'd be able to call Hades a Neo-Conservative.

The difference is that Neo-Cons want to force their views on others and take over, while I do not. I think the world would be better off if everyone just left everyone else alone and minded their own business. I am a fiscal conservative, but on many social issues I have a liberal bias. Of course, placing a label on a person is a lot easier than actually doing a breakdown issue by issue.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

"About americans being fat... Maybe the reason is that obesity is more prevalent in the US than in other countries? In that case, the prejudice that all American are fat can be easily explained, and is as reasonable as any prejudice. And even though all prejudices by definition are inferior to knowing the actual facts, honestly, who is without prejudices altogether?"

Then, i guess it's okay for one to be prejudice against Blacks since statistically they're more likely to be criminals, right? Very reasonable to be prejudice against the group most likely to criminalize you. *shrug*

Of course, the BIG difference, is fat people don't hurt you. Criminals do. Seriosuly, your reasoning is just silly. Even your silly chart - if it's to be belived - shows that 30% of Amerika are 'obese' (which probably means they're like 10 pounds overweight ahahaha). That means 70% are NOT. So, that prejudiced is based on a MINORITY.

Game over.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Then, i guess it's okay for one to be prejudice against Blacks since statistically they're more likely to be criminals, right? Very reasonable to be prejudice against the group most likely to criminalize you. *shrug*

Are blacks more likely to be criminals or are they more likely to be criminalized by the justice system?

The issue with crime is that there's the dark figure of crime. Weight is a much easier thing to measure.

Having said that, we have too much fixation on actual weight. There are "fat" people that are indeed healthier than the vast majority of people. Some compete in triathlons! Though bad health and obesity are highly correlated.

The difference is that Neo-Cons want to force their views on others and take over, while I do not. I think the world would be better off if everyone just left everyone else alone and minded their own business. I am a fiscal conservative, but on many social issues I have a liberal bias. Of course, placing a label on a person is a lot easier than actually doing a breakdown issue by issue.

I mean Neo-Liberal...

>.>

<.<

I remember reading somewhere that among vehicular homicides, the driver gets a 56 percent longer sentence if the victim was a woman(sexist!). But if the victim was a black man, the driver would get a 53 percent shorter(rasist!) one.

Sorry, i have no source on that one.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"About americans being fat... Maybe the reason is that obesity is more prevalent in the US than in other countries? In that case, the prejudice that all American are fat can be easily explained, and is as reasonable as any prejudice. And even though all prejudices by definition are inferior to knowing the actual facts, honestly, who is without prejudices altogether?"

Of course, the BIG difference, is fat people don't hurt you. Criminals do. Seriosuly, your reasoning is just silly. Even your silly chart - if it's to be belived - shows that 30% of Amerika are 'obese' (which probably means they're like 10 pounds overweight ahahaha). That means 70% are NOT. So, that prejudiced is based on a MINORITY.

Game over.

I don't care about if fat and/ or black people hurt me or not, that's not interesting or relevant. To remind you, we are talking about prejudices. Also, the reason why blacks more often commit crime (which has been statistically proven) might have something to do with the fact that blacks are also most often of a lower social standing. Duh.

The notion that "all Americans are obese" derives not from the fact that 90% or something of the Americans are actually obese, but from the fact that obesity is much more prevalent than in other countries. Also, the majority (over 60%) of the people in the US are either overweight or obese. A traveller from another country with different statistics on obesity will probably turn around in the street and look at fat people when in the US, and it will be one of their strongest memories of how the people looked. Also, I've been in the US (in California) myself, so I can't be entirely wrong on this matter.

Also, you're obese when you have a BMI of 30 or over. You're overweight when your BMI is 25 or over. To be obese, you'll need to be more than ten pounds overweight :ermm:.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

That would be attributed to the jury system, which reflects society, so it would be society and not the legal system which is sexist, and racist. No surprise there.

This poster never claimed that it was attributed to the legal system itself, rather than its people. But as they say: "change is coming...".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There is also a pretty big difference between obesity and being morbidly obese. If your BMI is in the 30 range for a woman or high 20's for a man, that isn't great, but it isn't going to impair your ability to lead a normal life. But when you get into the 30+ pounds overweight zone, you are in some pretty major jeopardy.

BMI is sometimes not the most accurate system. A healthy, muscular person could be counted as obese.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I thought Australia surpassed the US in terms of obesity.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

There is also a pretty big difference between obesity and being morbidly obese. If your BMI is in the 30 range for a woman or high 20's for a man, that isn't great, but it isn't going to impair your ability to lead a normal life. But when you get into the 30+ pounds overweight zone, you are in some pretty major jeopardy.

I loathe the BMI.

I mean Neo-Liberal...

>.>

<.<

What's liberal supposed to mean anyway? I see Americans throwing the term around with such disgust that it sometimes become confusing to read political journals and blogs. Now, here's a definition of the term "liberal":

lib⋅er⋅al   /ˈlɪbərəl, ˈlɪbrəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl] Show IPA

The reason more Americans are obese is most of us don't smoke like chimneys.

The more you open your mouth the dumber you seem...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

One theory I've heard for the increase in US obesity is the increased use of artificial sweetners, which, according to some, cause the body to react to the presence of sweetness without any actual caloric content by actually demanding more food.

In other words, you eat something that contains a non-caloric sweetner, the body tastes the sweetnesses and prepares itself for incoming calories, but when no calories are forthcoming, the body gets confused and starts demanding the calories it belives it should have just gotten.

Or something like that. I've read a bit on it but that's about it. Its all just thories anyway.

Anyway, I don't eat artificial sweetners. If I want sugar, I eat sugar. Personally, I believe its healthier. I just don't eat very much sugar, of course.

That's only my personal opnion, of course. I also work out 2 hrs a day M-F. I also know a lot of Americans who aren't the least bit fat.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"To be obese, you'll need to be more than ten pounds overweight"

Wow. 10 pounds oveweight is considered obese? LMAO That's why I don't take these statistics seriously. Being 10 pounds overweight should barely qualify one being considered 'fat' let alone 'obese'. It seems it's just an easy way to call everyone obese.

I guess, pretty much by this defintion most people are gonna be either skilly or obese with hardly any inbetween.

When I think obese, I think unhealthy/bad shape. 10 pounds overweight just doesn't equate that to me. WOW!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What's liberal supposed to mean anyway? I see Americans throwing the term around with such disgust that it sometimes become confusing to read political journals and blogs. Now, here's a definition of the term "liberal":

The term is not static.

Historically Liberals were the ultimate in laissez-faire. Neo-Liberal usually refers to this time of Liberalism.

I find it changes with conservatives wanting to preserve the status quo, and liberals seeking to change it.

Wow. 10 pounds oveweight is considered obese? LMAO That's why I don't take these statistics seriously. Being 10 pounds overweight should barely qualify one being considered 'fat' let alone 'obese'. It seems it's just an easy way to call everyone obese.

I guess, pretty much by this defintion most people are gonna be either skilly or obese with hardly any inbetween.

When I think obese, I think unhealthy/bad shape. 10 pounds overweight just doesn't equate that to me. WOW!

I do believe 30lb is technically obese.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I was being sarcastic. I meant "just a wee bit more" than 10 pounds overweight.

If you write: "[Obese] probably means they're like 10 pounds overweight ahahaha"

And I respond, correcting you: "To be obese, you'll need to be more than ten pounds overweight ;)"

Do you think I am trying to tell you you were right? In the future, I will stick to plain facts so that you will not get confused.

I thought this was a thread about piracy, not gilded racism? I must have been mistaken, and apologise. I just have one question: if someone is a first generation American, born to, say Swahili parents, can I be racist about them, or do they not count?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I thought this was a thread about piracy, not gilded racism? I must have been mistaken, and apologise. I just have one question: if someone is a first generation American, born to, say Swahili parents, can I be racist about them, or do they not count?

Um...sure, they count. Why wouldn't they? Americans aren't a race.