What are you playing now?

Gorth

Gothic 3 with 1.7 patch, alternative AI and balancing.

How's the vertical sync? And how did you get through the first battle without getting knocked on your face every four seconds?

I play with vsync off (the performance difference is pretty minimal, but I prefer tearing to lagging), and I experience some pretty bad tearing in some areas, whereas other areas are tearing free. Overall, however, I'm quite pleased with the graphics. The first fight was extremely difficult and frustrating, and I probably spent about an hour trying to get through the starting mission alone (a pretty stupid design desicion if you ask me). The melee combat takes time to learn, but fighting against humans or orcs feels satisfying once you get the hang of it. Fighting beasts and goblins is still extremely frustrating, and that's the main reason I decided to become a mage instead of fighter. I find it ridiculous that it's easier to fight "elite" soldiers than it is to fight bloodflies and goblins (especially since killing the two latter only yields 1/4 of the XP that you get for taking out well equipped soldiers) unless you got fireballs and a high knowledge of magic.

Those problems aside, I do like the game a lot, as I find the whole world rather engaging. Being in the desert one moment, and then in the snowy landscapes of Nordmar the next is pretty cool, and the colors, landscapes and NPCs bring the world to life. I also find the setting original and interesting.

If I were to give the game a grade at this point, I'd probably give it 7/10. When it comes to RPGs that I've played the later years, I think I only rate Mass Effect higher (which I'd give 8/10). Then again, there hasn't been much to choose from lately, and I still haven't tried the Witcher or NWN2. Regarding the appraisal the MoB expansion pack got from the Codex, I guess I'll have to check that one out as well.

virumor: Yeah, it didn't take long for me either to notice that the game is a sausage fest :-

TOCA 2, the last great Codemasters racing game :DD

:brows:

GRID and DIRT are awesome!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

:p

No, they're arcade racers with no real driving feel. And GRID is so unrealisticly sped up that you cant play it with a wheel, because you'll break it trying to navigate a chicane at 500mph.

...they're very pretty to look at though :)

p.s

Blimey games will rule you with Need for Speed : Shift

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I play with vsync off (the performance difference is pretty minimal, but I prefer tearing to lagging), and I experience some pretty bad tearing in some areas, whereas other areas are tearing free.

You're my opposite - I can't abide tearing. :)

Those problems aside, I do like the game a lot, as I find the whole world rather engaging. Being in the desert one moment, and then in the snowy landscapes of Nordmar the next is pretty cool, and the colors, landscapes and NPCs bring the world to life. I also find the setting original and interesting.

I really want to play, and I think I'll schedule it for after Fallout 3 when I need a colourful fantasy antidote to the bleak wasteland. :p

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

;)

No, they're arcade racers with no real driving feel. And GRID is so unrealisticly sped up that you cant play it with a wheel, because you'll break it trying to navigate a chicane at 500mph.

...they're very pretty to look at though :)

p.s

Blimey games will rule you with Need for Speed : Shift

BOOO! You're wrong!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Just finished the adventure mode of Plants vs Zombies. It was fantastic. Still, there are lots of things to do. Zen garden, mini games, puzzles and survival mode... One of the best purchase I've ever made.

centinexx.png

Civ 4 games sure take a lot out of you. Guess I'm too old for those 18 hour marathon Civ game sessions. Now I play Forged Alliance, ah a true strategy game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I finished the Witcher OC!! I think I will try Oblivion now ...

What did you think? I bought the game based on the advice you and Gorth gave me. I'm still in Chapter 3, but I've been enjoying it a lot. I'm quite glad I made the purchase. I think the sex mini-game is weird, but kind of funny and entertaining and I rely on poker dice for my spending sprees.

I'm also playing The Witcher, and like Aristes, I'm quite satisfied with the purchase. It's a thoroughly enjoyable experience thus far, though I'm only in chapter 2, towards the end. And as a fallback game, I play UT3 + Titan Pack, with some mods added to the mix. I tried The Ball: Teotl a few days ago, and it was really entertaining. Now I'm trying some new custom maps. Good fun all around!

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I played a bunch of X-Com Apocalypse on Steam. It's not as bad or confusing as I remembered, as long as you play it turn-based, best of all armor actually does something! The destructible environment is really great and you can actually bring a piece of the ceiling down on the enemies(or yourself...)

At the moment I'm playing UFO: Afterlight, which appears to be the only functional game of the series. Try the demo if you like squad-based tactical strategy games, it's not the best, but it's fun every now and then.

I played a bunch of X-Com Apocalypse on Steam. It's not as bad or confusing as I remembered, as long as you play it turn-based, best of all armor actually does something! The destructible environment is really great and you can actually bring a piece of the ceiling down on the enemies(or yourself...)

At the moment I'm playing UFO: Afterlight, which appears to be the only functional game of the series. Try the demo if you like squad-based tactical strategy games, it's not the best, but it's fun every now and then.

XCOM: APoc is one of the most criminally underrated games ever.

True it deviates a lot from the gameplay of the first 2, which earns it a lot of scorn from xcomphiles, but it is a FANTASTIC strategic and tactical game. And amazingly enough it works well in either rt mode or tb mode.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Reinstalled PS:T with Qwinn's various restoration/tweak mods! Oh, and I bought my girlfriend the DS remake of Broken Sword. Could be it's rubbish but the original was cool beans so hopefully she'll dig it. Which reminds me...

faggtastic.th.jpg

Stobbart's been trolled!

True it deviates a lot from the gameplay of the first 2, which earns it a lot of scorn from xcomphiles, but it is a FANTASTIC strategic and tactical game. And amazingly enough it works well in either rt mode or tb mode.

Underrated ? really?it was praised and played a lot around here. Actually i think i'm gonna go find my disc ang go play it.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Underrated ? really?it was praised and played a lot around here. Actually i think i'm gonna go find my disc ang go play it.

Most of the internet nerdery revolving around it when it came out, at least in the circles I traveled, was pretty negative. It definitely had some incredibly

bits (that's the ending cinematic if anyone cares about spoilers, but it basically tells you nothing about the game except that you win).

Still, I had a good time with it. I loved going through with the toxic guns in real-time mode. Took a lot of scientist time to make the ammo, but damn was it ever fun to make those aliens melt.

Matthew Rorie

Our co-op matches of L4D are starting to become more and more like versus matches. Myself and a friend have taken it upon ourselves to compete for special infected kills to the point of suicidal abandon as long as we manage to get the kill. If that means shooting the guy in front of you so he doesn't get the chance, so be it. He's now killed me right before the escape on the finale twice in a row. I plan to make sure he spends at least 50% of the next campaign dead as revenge.

This is much more fun than working together. :D

I think I will try Oblivion now ...

:lol:

Oblivion's a great game. Why should he wince (I guess?) because of it?

Anyway, I'm playing Mass Effect. I just played through the new Fable DLC. In an hour and a half. It costs seven bucks. $7/1.5 hrs= 4.67 $/hr. What a rip. Actually, come to think about it, that's actually a better time/money ratio than the original game.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I think I will try Oblivion now ...

:lol:

hey come on it's not that bad

(if you've got the OOO mod - otherwise yeah it's pretty bad)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Most of the internet nerdery revolving around it when it came out, at least in the circles I traveled, was pretty negative. It definitely had some incredibly

bits (that's the ending cinematic if anyone cares about spoilers, but it basically tells you nothing about the game except that you win).

Still, I had a good time with it. I loved going through with the toxic guns in real-time mode. Took a lot of scientist time to make the ammo, but damn was it ever fun to make those aliens melt.

I think I tried the real time mode for half a combat. Then I reloaded and never touched the real time part again. "Enemy Unknown" and "Terror from The Deep" were both brilliant games, each in there own way, but the combat and destructable landscape just added something to "Apocalypse" that few games can compete against (JA2 being the only one from top of my head). I remember cringing back then, when I heard the sound of those little brain sucker pods popping somewhere :lol:

That tought me the lesson of working in teams, making sure that one team always had a fast reaction guy, with AP points to spare ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein