I would like to see some Deus Ex atmosphere in AP

While I am not saying put it in the future, which if I recall AP is placed around modern times anyways, however I think it would be interesting to have the dark, brooding, gothic-like world on the verge of upheaval feel to it (if it is or not story line wise is not the point, the perception however is what I am referring too). DE1 did a lot right, one of them without a doubt was atmosphere. And I think being a new IP obsid really needs to nail the feel and vibe of the world. Make it their own and stand out. While I am not saying photo copy DE I am saying use the overall elements and philosophy those designers did. I think it would make AP stand out as DE did. Let be honest if DE wasn't always set at night in somewhat gothic locals it wouldn't stick out in many peoples minds as it still does today.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

If one per say, try to de-compose the elements of what that constitutes as the 'atmosphere' of Deus Ex, i would nominate the following: writing, style and music. While i do trust Obsidian doing what they do best, namely managing some coherent writing, the style can be a bit of hit and miss at times though.

I wouldn't worry so much about the music, since Alpha Protocol has the same composer as the original Deus Ex.

This adds up to 2/3 elements for the standard Deus Ex vibe, i think :wacko: Which should be enough for the most of us.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This seems like it will be much more light hearted than Deus Ex. Probably won't take itself half as seriously as Deus Ex did.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This seems like it will be much more light hearted than Deus Ex. Probably won't take itself half as seriously as Deus Ex did.

Deus Ex took itself seriously? You mean the accents that everyone spoke with in the Hong Kong level weren't a joke? Ye gods!

(Seriously, though, the thing worth copying from Deus Ex is the way that game supported lots of different methods of problem-solving. Other than the uncertainty coming from not knowing the true loyalties of the other characters, the atmosphere was negligible.)

I'd like to see more ninjas in this game and you don't see me complaining. :)

But this game doesn't sound like Deus Ex anymore to me. Basically, I agree with Morgoth.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Then I think I will pass. If they are going for a Jason Bourne-lite approach, play style, setting then I can play many other watered down games like that. I was hoping they were going to take the setting, atmosphere and subject seriously.

Scratch one more game off my list.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I doubt you'll be able to find a spy rpg with a team as high calibre as Obsidian behind it anytime soon. Hell, or ever.

You're right in that it's doubtful they'll cater to your palette exactly, but it would be frivolous to assume that they take their own subject and setting as anything but serious. The Syriana-influences, the problem situations they have presented, the building of networks and alliances in a world that is morally gray, etc don't scream "watered down" to me. Of course the super spy theme is an element in the mix, though it wouldn't be the first game they develop with both extremes, sillyness and that loveable grit.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Then I think I will pass. If they are going for a Jason Bourne-lite approach, play style, setting then I can play many other watered down games like that. I was hoping they were going to take the setting, atmosphere and subject seriously.

Even with goofy things like punching armed enemies out and dual wielding SMGs, I suspect AP will take its actual themes more seriously than the majority of games.

I'm trying to figure out how you jumped from "more lighthearted than Deus Ex", to "Jason Bourne-lite approach, play style, setting." Just because a game is more lighthearted in tone, it doesn't necessarily mean it's dumbed down. It could be a satire of the spy genre, for example.

Heja Sverige!!

I'm trying to figure out how you jumped from "more lighthearted than Deus Ex", to "Jason Bourne-lite approach, play style, setting." Just because a game is more lighthearted in tone, it doesn't necessarily mean it's dumbed down. It could be a satire of the spy genre, for example.

And that's fine if that's what they are aiming for, however campy, satire, in jokes style of gameplay (which is the impression posters here are leaving me with) I am sure will attract certain folks, I however am not one of them. Again if I am going to play a spy game I rather it be of the mood of DE. To each there own of course 8)

Sadly my list of games I am looking forward to is dwindling, I wanted to support obsid but aliens I have 0 interest in and AP seems its style won't either. :/

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Dear diary,

Today I crossed off another title from my dwindling list of games I want to play. I found out that they misspelled Thornton "Thorton" so I can't like this game anymore. My reasons might not be logical to some but at least my drama queen self will take my little temper tantrums to another part of the board now.

Sincerely,

R.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

From what I understand, the "tone" is fairly dark, it just has some over-the-top characters. Sort of like Metal Gear Solid, I guess.

I mean, the trailer sure doesn't look campy: "I wish I could tell you that this business isn't dirty. I wish I could tell you who to trust. The only thing I can say for sure, Mike: this business will change you."

Dear diary,

Today I crossed off another title from my dwindling list of games I want to play. I found out that they misspelled Thornton "Thorton" so I can't like this game anymore. My reasons might not be logical to some but at least my drama queen self will take my little temper tantrums to another part of the board now.

Sincerely,

R.

I laughed out loud.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

From what I understand, the "tone" is fairly dark, it just has some over-the-top characters. Sort of like Metal Gear Solid, I guess.

Metal Gear Solid is not dark in the slightest. It's much closer to NOLF than to DX in terms of feel and atmosphere.

20795.jpg

MGS is serious of the type which is full of itself and not aware of the self inflicted silly.

Heja Sverige!!

MGS is serious of the type which is full of itself and not aware of the self inflicted silly.

Never played the previous MGS games, but let me say that MGS4 is a piece of art and does not deserve your scorn.

MGS is normally a very serious game, but the devs do like to put funny moments in there (looking down naomi's blouse for a psyche bonus, the ever diarrhea afflicted johnny sasaki, a merc relieving himself on you in MGS2)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I only played parts of the first one and the plot and characters did not impress me. The gameplay was good fun, though.

Heja Sverige!!

If you're going to criticize something at least know what the hell you're talking about. MGS is full of itself, but it's also very aware of the silly. Might as well claim NOLF isn't aware it's not a serious depiction of the business of spying.

Oh, and neither MGS or DX or AP are remotely like NOLF. H

I wouldn't categorize MGS4 as "aware". Turning your diarrhea-plagued punchline into a dramatic anchor / major character halfway through the game without so much as batting an eye (Merril or whatever her name is actually seems to find the reasons for his constant ****ting romantic by the end. Character depth!) is at best terribly negligent, as far as characterization is concerned, but as with most media, if you make it epic enough, and inject enough of that distinctively japanese melodrama into it, people stop seeing how you sabotage your own creative endeavors. MGS as a series takes itself too seriously to justify its many jarring tonal shifts.

As for it being art, I can't remember who said it (Sawyer? Grom? That I conflate the two so much seems to indicate that they may be the same person) but what passes for "good writing" in games wouldn't pass muster in any other media. MGS4's plot and particularly its dialogue (oh lord, the ****ty dialogue) are equivalent to the worst episode of Heroes' worst season, and Heroes is a pretty dismal show with these things.

Edited by Pop