Movies you have seen recently

SteveThaiBinh

i watched like the first 5 episodes of the Aeon Flux animated series

don't see what the big deal is - it seems quite disjointed and lame :sorcerer:

I was the States in the early 90's (1992 IIRC) when the first series was shown on MTV. It was a big deal then because it was fresh... now it ain't.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Chocolate, it's like a Thai version of Karate Kid, pretty good although a bit slow in some places. Lots of homage to Ong Bak, which is fine I guess, although Chocolate is a better movie. Ong Bak 1 and 2 are absolutely horrid with the exception of the fights, which are absolutely brilliant. This has ok martial arts and better acting.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Chocolate, it's like a Thai version of Karate Kid, pretty good although a bit slow in some places. Lots of homage to Ong Bak, which is fine I guess, although Chocolate is a better movie. Ong Bak 1 and 2 are absolutely horrid with the exception of the fights, which are absolutely brilliant. This has ok martial arts and better acting.

OngBak was the perfect movie to watch with some buddies. I first saw it in Korea with two of my friends and we were hooting and shouting at all the brutal moves being unleashed. Sentiments of how we should have all done Muay Thai instead of Taekwondo were shared by all. Of course then we had to see if we could do any of the moves in the movie and ending up hurting ourselves.

When I moved back to the States, I was shocked that no one had seen this movie, so I got out my copy and watched it with some other friends. The fact that it had no English subtitles did not deter anyone enjoying the bone crushing goodness that is Ongbak. When Tony Jaa leapt from atop a flaming truck to smash his knee down on the poor fellow on the motorcycle there was much manly laughter and high-fiving.

This time I persuaded everyone that we shouldn't emulate the movie.

Maybe it's a regional thing but Ongbak was mildly popular on the west coast and it even had advertising becuase I can remember them making like a second movie or something with the same guy and it was like *From the creators of Ongbak* and like all this action stuff and then him running away from a gun on a 4 wheeler inside of an empty high rise and he does the run up and flip thing against a large glass wall window and the dude on the ATV oblivious goes right through it most likely leading to his stupendously dumb death. And Ongbak is way over rated imo. Sure the fighting was pretty good but it offered nothing else really. Once you've seen a Jet Li movie you've pretty much seen them all. Maybe that's a little unfair since he does some really horrible stuff but Kiss of the dragon was pretty awesome when I was 14.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Monsters Vs Aliens

Lots of fun action-adventure film with a sense of humor. Also a lot of homages to 50s Sci-Fi/horror films, so double fun for me. Add in IMAX 3D and it was quite the experience.

I think I grinned during the entire movie. Now my face is sore.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Monsters Vs Aliens

Lots of fun action-adventure film with a sense of humor. Also a lot of homages to 50s Sci-Fi/horror films, so double fun for me. Add in IMAX 3D and it was quite the experience.

I think I grinned during the entire movie. Now my face is sore.

First 3D movie I've seen since the cinema installed the new projector and I can't say that I'm a fan. $3 extra and triple the eye strain! Hurray! And then those bastards want me to give back the glasses afterwards? :)

First 3D movie I've seen since the cinema installed the new projector and I can't say that I'm a fan. $3 extra and triple the eye strain! Hurray! And then those bastards want me to give back the glasses afterwards? :)

Depending on who does the 3D you can keep the glasses; REAL-D has cheaper glasses that you keep, IMAX 3D (and I think maybe Disney 3D) have big bulky glasses that are returned to the company as a way to keep costs down.

I've never gotten eye strain from watching one of the new 3D films so I'm not sure what to say about that.

I just don't get the appeal of 3D movies.

I don't go looking for films in 3D; but the new format for them can lead to some fun images and creates and interesting depth of field view of the action.

But beside all of that, I thought MONSTERS VS ALIENS was good without the gimickry.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Saw Igor with the kids, quite good but the humour was aimed more at the adults IMO. Steve Buscemi's character (a sort of immortal/ undead rat-thing) was particularly funny.

Just finished season 5 of The Wire, sad to think there'll be no more.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Just finished season 5 of The Wire, sad to think there'll be no more.

Cheers

MC

Now that was an awesome ending to an awesome series.

I'm watching the Watchmen Motion Comic. I don't feel like reading the comics before I see the new film, so this is a pretty neat way to get to know the full story. I'm up to episode 4 now (Dr Manhattan's backstory) and that one was pretty solid.

First 3D movie I've seen since the cinema installed the new projector and I can't say that I'm a fan. $3 extra and triple the eye strain! Hurray! And then those bastards want me to give back the glasses afterwards? :yucky:

Depending on who does the 3D you can keep the glasses; REAL-D has cheaper glasses that you keep, IMAX 3D (and I think maybe Disney 3D) have big bulky glasses that are returned to the company as a way to keep costs down.

I've never gotten eye strain from watching one of the new 3D films so I'm not sure what to say about that.

Our cinema just got REAL-D a couple weeks ago. Pretty cheap glasses, but at least they weren't the crappy cardboard ones and they fit over my normal glasses. Eyestrain wasn't a huge problem most of the time. The 3D effects only really bothered me when they made a point of it with stuff flying at the screen. When they weren't trying to make you go "Ooh! 3D!" it was okay.

I'm watching the Watchmen Motion Comic. I don't feel like reading the comics before I see the new film, so this is a pretty neat way to get to know the full story. I'm up to episode 4 now (Dr Manhattan's backstory) and that one was pretty solid.

I like the motion comic too, but I wish they had more than one voice actor.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

The Watchmen motion comic seems like a nice idea. I only saw a teaser trailer, but I'd be interested to see it all. However, I imagine it lacks the interesting extras between chapters that the comic book has, like the excerpts from Hollis Mason's book, or Milton Glass' book about Dr. Manhattan. Which were all superbly written and felt authentic. For example, Mason's book truly feels like an autobiography, nostalgia and all. It's so believable. These parts shouldn't be missed, and are among the main reasons why anyone interested in Watchmen should read the comic first and foremost.

Anyway, the last movie I saw was Watchmen actually. Now, I went to the cinema to see it, but my viewing experience wasn't that great. Image quality and comfort were alright, but the sound was way too loud, to the point that it became really bothersome. Anyway, despite the sonic impact, the movie kind of lacked any other kind of impact, specially as far as characters go. It's hard to explain what it was, the movie tried to follow the comic book pretty close, but it just fell flat. It didn't capture that fantastic cold war 'impeding nuclear apocalypse' atmosphere of the comic, plus the action sequences were a bit too 'Hollywood' for its own good. Maybe those were the problems, but I never managed to connect with the movie. Although, it was pretty decent overall I guess.

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I like the motion comic too, but I wish they had more than one voice actor.

Yeah it is a bit weird hearing a man's voice for the female characters. :ermm:

Saw Watchmen, and not so sure what to make of it. The visual style is compelling, the director sure paid attention to details and, according to some fans of the comic, follows the sources quite closely. On the other hand, it leaves me emotionally cold, the blood and the sex just for the sake of having it in, the characters remain kind of un-characterized. Yes, there's a bit of a backstory on most of them, but it's still like... *shrug* And that director / editor / whoever responsible should notice that no music is sometimes better than planting another pop song into a scene. 99 Luftballons? F***ing My Chemical Romance? Sounds of silence at an enormous volume, when silence itself and raindrops would transport so much more atmosphere? It rains a lot in this flick, but you almost never hear the sound of it, but it would make it quite a bit better. Rorschach's narrating voice is good however, a surprise, as voices from the off are something I rarely like in movies.

Ah well, it was a long movie and I never got bored, and the sillyness of the costumes did for the most part seem justified. I'm not sorry to have spent some money in it.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

the dead one

it starred fez, from that 70s show. it sort of sucked. the IMDB reviews are pretty abysmal for a reason. fez was interesting without the high-pitched voice, and his female interest was very hawt. other than that, the movie did not have many redeeming qualities. i don't agree with those calling it a crow rip-off (the crow 6: fez of the dead). that's an insult to all the stupid crow sequels. the only similarity is that fez' character was brought back from the dead, though a full year after it occurred. he wasn't out for revenge, ala the crow movies. the first 90% of the movie could have been told in just under 10 minutes, IMO. sloooow and painful. then, in a bizarre "twist" (from a direction that made no sense, to another that made even less sense with some past life connection), all is revealed. then it twists again and ends even more confusingly. i guess you have to read the comics (el muerto i guess). some of the narration, or back voices, or whatever, that explained motivations were difficult to understand due to the poor quality sound mixing. also, IMO, motives shouldn't be so blind that characters should have to explain their motives and actions either directly or through narration. that makes me angry.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Disturbia - moderately amusing.

We also finally watched Bloodrayne after idly adding it to the Sky+ planner, well, I say watched...it stayed on for about fifteen minutes. Dearie me.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Watched High Tension. Pretty good slasher flick, but the twist was kinda corny.

So the main character is really the killer. Hm, I guess I can accept that and reason that when it seemed like she was in two places at once, she was actually just imagining in it, due to her multiple personality. I'm also guessing that she wasn't roommates with the other girl and the whole car trip, meet the family were also delusions. I actually caught that she might be the killer when the the supposed killer goes back into the house to cut out a picture of the victim's head. Earlier when when they meet the family, the girl is supposed to be in some of the pictures in but in that scene there are no pictures of her with the family anywhere I can see. I thought the gas station scene was pretty implausible though. Obviously when the killer persona is talking to the attendant the attendant keeps looking at the mirror at the crazy bloodied girl that came running in and who is now hiding at the back of the store. But since the killer is the girl, then she had to have come in, yelling to call the police, run to the back of the store then.....walk out and walk in again this time as the killer persona to talk with the same attendant. Why the attendant doesn't say, "Are you freaking crazy lady?" and just seems to accept this is beyond me.

Tried to watch Memento. Had great reviews and stuff, and I like Guy Pearce.

It's interesting, that's for sure. But the strange backward-working flashback scene connectors were too distracting and it was a bit slow. I turned it off after an hour...maybe I'll try finishing it later.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tried to watch Memento.

Over-rated

I'd have to agree. It's not that it's bad, tho...it's just not as advant garde as the reviews made it sound, or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts