Movies you have seen recently

SteveThaiBinh

I watched 28 Days Later today. It wasn't bad, but I thought it would be better based on what I'd heard. I enjoyed it, but it was a pretty standard zombie film. Legend is much better.

Lawrence of Arabia is an excellent film. It is a classic and, since I care more about entertainment than the history of filmmaking when I choose a film, I'll have to agree with Monte.

The wife and I also watched the John Adams miniseries. I thought it was well done without a lot of license on the part of the writer, director, or producer, even down to the decaying teeth. I've always been a big fan of Adams and I think the movement in later years to show him in his proper place as vital to our revolution is excellent.

Legend is much better.

Elaborate, please. Was it better because the zombies were "nonstandard" or because it was, in your view, just better written? In my opinion Legend fell flat after Smith found the other survivors. Decent premise, but the execution left me wanting more, especially since I love the original book by Matheson.

Funny anecdote though, before I read the last page of this thread, I had just picked 5 alltime favourite movies of mine in a Facebook app. Funnily enough; Lawrence of Arabia and 28 Days were both there.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

^ I agree about Legend, I had high hopes too then it just fizzled out. I like Will Smith, he was doing a good job then the zombies appeared... fzzzt. Up to that point though, abandoned NYC was beautfiully realised.

I can't help but think the movie was dumbed-down - the albino Medieval-cultist type victims in The Omega Man were much better.

For me, 28 Days is better, although I'm biased because it's a British movie. The cast are solid, the zombies original and Chris Ecclestone's fascist army officer a bit of a left-wing cliche but works in the context of the plot. There's just more going on in 28 Days that ain't happenening in legend.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'd probably put Will Smith above any of the acting in 28 Days, but other than that I'd say both are excellent movies. I enjoyed the ending of 28 Days much better than Legend, but then again, I think the ending of 28 Days was particularly inspired.

The Bucket List (2007) - Decent if a little cheesy film about 2 men dying,

worth it to see Nicholson and Freeman working together. Some decent laughs.

No Country for Old Men (2007) - Still love this flick, although at the end it

fails.

"Lawrence of Arabia is an excellent film. It is a classic and,

since I care more about entertainment than the history of filmmaking

when I choose a film, I'll have to agree with Monte."

What is this an either or? Choose or DIE! It's possible to like and be entertained by both films

no? Citizen Kane is an excellent film if you don't think so good on you. Many people find Laserblast (1978)

to be a great movie, who am I to say it aint.

Laserblast is a great movie.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

watched the end of saw IV last night. meh. each one seems to lose something from its predecessor. after the horrible scene with the chick in the pit full of syringes (i am afeared of needles), they simply can't do anything i find even remotely frightening. the required amount of suspension of disbelief has gotten to the point it just isn't worth watching them anymore.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Watchmen.

Dude, dude.

I'll need like a week to get my thoughts right over this, but when all is said and done, I hope mr Moore gets to see it. Some tribute.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Watchmen.

Dude, dude.

I'll need like a week to get my thoughts right over this, but when all is said and done, I hope mr Moore gets to see it. Some tribute.

Moore won't ever watch anything based on his work. He's said several times in various interviews that he'll NEVER EVER watch a movie based upon his works

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I know.

But "times they are a-chaaanngggiiing!"

Anyhow.

kirottu said:

I thought that 28 Days later was a bit campy. My favorite part of the film, and the best acting, was the Major. I actually sympathized with the bastard, even in his attempt to let his "lads" rape the two women. He saw his enclave as the last bastion of humanity and he was determined to save it. He wasn't egotistical or determined to promote himself. He was preoccupied with keeping his unit safe and ensuring the survival of his species.

However, in terms of the acting, Smith did a most excellent job. The part after he meets with the other two survivors fell short of the beginning, but I buy into the very ending where the female survivor talks about Will Smith's character as the beginning of a legend.

The overall production value and the effects in 28 Days was inferior to Legend. The idea that the glowing red eyed zombies in 28 Days is better than the pasty white skinhead version in Legend is laughable. As a premise, the two were more closely related, but the presentation and the hastened urgency of establishing the premise in 28 Days reminds me more of a DM trying to get his players into the action quicker than a director taking the time to develop a story. I have no concern of nationality when I see a movie. I do think, however, that some of the scenes in 28 Days smacked of low budget, and that is offputting to me.

As far as Lawrence v. Citizen. I'm not suggesting that Lawrence is better and therefore Citizen is bad. I merely suggest that touting the innovation of the technical work sounds a bit hollow when discussing the entertainment value. I don't, however, discard the technical achievements. Those are important and it's only right to acknowledge them.

Finally, as someone who read the Watchmen graphic novel some 20 years ago, I can only say that I was pleased with the film. It is excellent in the same sort of disturbing and unsettling way as the novel, which I'm now inspired to purchase and re-read.

-Australia

I still havent made my mind up whether I like that one or not... :(

Having recently seen Dark City, I think I might eventually get around to watch Sin City. I've had the DVD lying around gathering dust for a long time. Just to stick with that "Noir" feeling.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

As far as Lawrence v. Citizen. I'm not suggesting that Lawrence is better and therefore Citizen is bad. I merely suggest that touting the innovation of the technical work sounds a bit hollow when discussing the entertainment value. I don't, however, discard the technical achievements. Those are important and it's only right to acknowledge them.

If someone would be interested in learning the history of Citizen Kane, studying up on William Randolph Hearst which the film is loosely(?) based would be a good start also there's a good HBO movie RKO 281 (1999) that charts the struggles Wells had to go through to get the film made. The movie involves 2 of the most important people of it's time period, thus it loses something with today's audience that are not familiar with the back history. It's fascinating to me at least.