What you did today

Gorth

No snow here but rain unfortunately :o The last bits of snow lying around melted today.

Try to log in and see if it says you are not authorised. That means it's pending confirmation. You can PM people in the meantime. Missy is slow.

Now that's just mean. :lol: I'm guessing that the account got caught in amongst all the spam accounts I deleted when I logged in yesterday.

Also - hello.

Hi! Good to see you :D

Today was an easy day, surprisingly. First thing in the morning was giving a lecture on the book I mentioned once here. Next thing was buying some plank parts to break, then training, working a few hours, cooking and eating. I don't know why it all felt so easy, but it's great :) Now I'm just listening to music, playing some SoZ later. I could even watch a fim, hm...

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I wish it would snow here but all we get is wind and rain. I'm suprised there wasn't rain today.

Today we're beginning to plan an RV trip to Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota and Wyoming.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I got my Christmas present from work a few days ago. It was a 60 day termination notice. Merry Christmas to me and 11999 other unlucky suckers. I just took this job in May too. Well, time to begin the job hunt again. At least the severance package is fairly decent as such things go.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My condolences GD :'(

I'm sure you'll do fine since your an amazing technological communications expert or w/e but still sucks pretty hardcore.

I was forced to migrate myself and all my stuff at work from one cubicle to another and felt like the guy from Office Space. :'(

I forgot to put on deodorant as well so I got all worked up and sweaty and smelt like a water buffalo that was beaten to death with a sac of rotten potatoes.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I got my Christmas present from work a few days ago. It was a 60 day termination notice. Merry Christmas to me and 11999 other unlucky suckers. I just took this job in May too. Well, time to begin the job hunt again. At least the severance package is fairly decent as such things go.

Ouch. Best of luck.

(Hmmm... 12,000 layoffs announced today? I think I have a good guess as to your employer.)

Thanks everyone. I found out on Monday, most of those cut will find out over the next year. I believe the initial body count will be about 2700 or so. I heard rumors my job (which is a regional engineering position) may be merged into a single national position back in October. I figured I'd be shown the door if that happened. Well, it's happening. There actually is a position I could take in Atlanta but I just bought the land and just finished building the house. I could never sell it for even break even money. So I'm taking the package. If I can land another job quick enough this may work out to be a big win for me.

Oh and you were correct Enoch, but I thought you knew that already.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That just plainly sucks. It really stings in your pride when you're put on leave. But at least you are in a position where you can offer some expertice, so i am sure that you will find a new one soon. If you were a regular joe working on the assembly floor in a factory, then there might be some worry.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh and you were correct Enoch, but I thought you knew that already.

I knew you were an engineer in the telecom industry generally. If you ever mentioned the particular firm, I must have missed it or forgotten. I have an Aunt who used to work for AT&T in their NJ offices, but she moved to a major insurance company a few years back.

It's getting rough out there-- even us fancy DC lawyers are feeling the pinch. My brother-in-law, a mid-level associate at a big law firm's DC office, was let go a couple weeks ago.

Still, you've got practical technical expertise and experience, and no crappy economy can take that away. That makes you much better equipped to weather this kind of storm than most people.

bummer, GD. given your upper-level status in the telecom industry, you may want to check out the GLG (Gerson Lehrman Group). my buddy recently ended a 17 year career with VZW (his choice) and signed up there. he doesn't consult with them a lot, only a few calls per week, but rates are on the order of $300/hour. even an hour or two a week can help while you're searching.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Today I formated my HD, installed Windows XP SP3, got latest drivers and now I'm installing WoW.

All this, because WoW has been starting to act up on me. If WoW would "stutter", like when entering some resource heavy place, there would be a good chance it would continue to "stutter" every 10 to 15 seconds no matter what. Even the character choosing screen "stuttered". Only way to get rid off it was to re-start WoW.

So since WotLK requires SP3 I got it, and since I had never formated my 4-5 year old computer I did that too. I really hope this helps, because I haven't got enough money for a new computer.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

What Gfted1 said, I wonder too.

Today I was at the Opeth concert - they were great of course. But the surprise, to me, were Cynic. Jazz metal or something :( Really complex stuff, even if the flow of the songs was predictable, it was all interesting. Got to listen to some of their stuff now, so good night :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I just ate myself two servings of a particularly delicious meal from Macaroni Grill. I had my entire days amount of calories, enough fat for about 2-3 days, and enough sodium to last me an entire work week. I suppose things are going pretty good for a change.

Tuesday we get to talk about rescheduling at work and I'm hoping to god they cut my hours, at least by an entire day. If I could work 2 6 hour days a week that would be sweet or even better 1 hour a month. All I need is the experience on my resume for like a year and that's all I care about. Next week is the last week of school as well. I go monday and tuesday and then I'm off for like a month from school and I get a nice 2 week break from work as well during that time. Unfortunately I do have do a bunch of running around to do with my transcripts since I'm coenrolled so I don't meet the prereqs for upper division courses at either school so I have to wait until grades are in to do anything. Pretty lame stuff.

Luckily all this affords me time to do something that is probably the only thing close to my heart and that is working out. Really looking forward to taking care of my bod again, plus the added benefit of never being sick is always nice. Just a shame though, I've lost all my strength from the 5 or 6 months I've been out of commission so I'll have to start from scratch. At least I'll do things right this time and not waste 8 months listening to my friend who didn't know anything. Now I'm pissed off again.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Ok, today I've stared at my laptop screen, not knowing what I should do.

Because I've received an email from a journalist.

Asking me if I was available to talk about videogame dependency.

On television.

WHAT.

THE.

DEALIO.

Who the what, now?

How did that happen?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Who the what, now?

How did that happen?

They are doing a show about the subject on the 16th of December (broadcast by TVI) and I guess they decided to look for videogame sites to talk with actual gamers. I was writing for a videogame website, and my email was there. Other people on the same site pointed out they received that email as well, and I suspect other sites must have been contacted too.

That's pretty much the only explanation I can find, really.

Edited by Diogo Ribeiro

TVI? I wouldn't touch that with a twenty foot pole. Is it a live broadcast?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: