New Dragon Age Walkthrough videos

Morgoth

I personally don't care if the setting is generic. As long as the underlying story is reasonably good and the gameplay is fun

Same feeling here.

I'm hoping that the Origin stories are varied enough for players to try a totally different kind of character. Maybe kind of like the options you get when you create a character in ME, but you can actually play those options.

It seems the whole "Origin stories" was a neat idea. Other than YOU ARE FORCED TO BE A GREY WARDEN/SPECTOR(Mass Effect). :)

Though, I guess Story Wise that is the entire point. Though I will give DGaider the benefit of the doubt, and see how the whole story (and writing) works out.

The thing is, spearheaded by Gaider as it is, it's nothing more or less than what we expect of him. A detailed and expansive world: not a very original, but polished and very well-working setting and plot: dialogue that is "good" but perhaps rather lukewarm for the most part, with occasional delights. That's just how he does it, I think.

Which is why I'm relying on what were really the strenghts of, say, SoA: an expansive world with heaps of everything, a solid and entertaining tactical combat, and decent levels of everything else to carry it all home. Just diappointed from fan's perspective that we've seen very little of the gameplay mechanics, because cinematic dialogue and DA's generic look doesn't really excite me.

I think Mass Effect is much closer to Babylon 5 then any other scifi. Iirc Stormwaltz was a big fan of that show.

I have to admit that I didn't expect much from Mass Effect but strangly enough, game got better on second and third run. Maybe it was because I played paragon character at the first time and it was a bit bland. Full renegade, higher difficulty and more interesting class (Sentinel) made it much more enjoyable experience.

Like with Mass Effect, these walkthru videos give rather bland first impression. I'm not going to draw any conclusions about that and Dragon Age is probably one of those games that I have to play myself to see how good or bad it is. First I didn't like too much about Bioware's cinematic dialogue system but now it feel like something is missing from Dragon Age as it has old skool player character text options. Oh well, I'll get used to it again.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Choo! Choo! All aboard the whine-o-train!

Anyway I've actually seen the movies now and seriously don't get why you guys are complaining. I mean, I do see that I've somewhat seen all the things that the setting seem to offer before, but to complain about it seems to be whining more than constructive criticism. Especially since all Bioware settings are like this.

Positives:

The armour looks cool and stylish as it should do and haven't in a long time in a Bio game. I might actually look forward to putting on new armour now.

Writing seems to be Bioware++ which means that I might actually care about characters now. I'm looking forward to doing that again.

World seems well developed from the way they're talking about it. I just hope it doesn't do a Jade Empire.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I didn't like ME's conversation system. I like picking specific dialog options that my character will say, and sometimes my ME characater would say something I thought would come out very different.

But the positives outweigh that, first reading a text, clicking it and then hearing your character spout that exact line would make the dialogue kind of stale. With ME's dialogue system, you actually do listen to what both charcters say

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I didn't like ME's conversation system. I like picking specific dialog options that my character will say, and sometimes my ME characater would say something I thought would come out very different.

But the positives outweigh that, first reading a text, clicking it and then hearing your character spout that exact line would make the dialogue kind of stale. With ME's dialogue system, you actually do listen to what both charcters say

Never played a Bioware game were I had to click a line, and then listen to it again. That's why the PC is voiceless. Geez Kafty! :sorcerer:

Never played a Bioware game were I had to click a line, and then listen to it again. That's why the PC is voiceless. Geez Kafty! :teehee:

What I was gonna say. You just click it and the other NPC responds accordingly.

Dragon Age is as Morgoth describes, as well. It looked great.

clicking it and then hearing your character spout that exact line would make the dialogue kind of stale.

I prefer the satisfaction of control over some stupid rotary gamble. The 'surprise' in ME dialogue wheel is like the 'surprise' you get when you're 13 years old and you try to say something and you crack a high.

I literally stopped listening to what the characters were saying in Mass Effect. Not volontarily, mind you. Eventually all the characters sounded the same and nothing interesting was said.

Looks like I'd do the same in this game.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Mass Effect surely was a great game, even though it had plenty of shortcomings. The biggest criticism was that it lacked a certain scale, a certain "epicness". The Citadel felt so empty and dead, and the story missions were so underpopulated as well. Like on that iceplanet....wow, there was basically nothing to do. And one of the better characters, Matriach Benezia, was so underdeveloped, even though she showed potential. You just entered the room, shared some talk, and then had to kill her. Disappointing.

Gameplay wise, ME was the best Bio game so far. Satisfying Squad-Action gameplay (at least on the PC), overall good level design (especially the last 2-3 hours were great), and not too much time-wasting in messing around in menus, inventories and other game-interrupting nonsense. The dialog system just facilitated the more faster paced nature of ME.

Now it seems, I have to get used to the more old-fashioned Dragon Age style of playing an RPG again. Not that this is bad, I just hope they don't try to pull a Jade Empire on it again.

Edited by Morgoth

Mass Effect surely was a great game, even though it had plenty of shortcomings. The biggest criticism was that it lacked a certain scale, a certain "epicness". The Citadel felt so empty and dead, and the story missions were so underpopulated as well. Like on that iceplanet....wow, there was basically nothing to do. And one of the better characters, Matriach Benezia, was so underdeveloped, even though she showed potential. You just entered the room, shared some talk, and then had to kill her. Disappointing.

Gameplay wise, ME was the best Bio game so far. Satisfying Squad-Action gameplay (at least on the PC), overall good level design (especially the last 2-3 hours were great), and not too much time-wasting in messing around in menus, inventories and other game-interrupting nonsense. The dialog system just facilitated the more faster paced nature of ME.

Now it seems, I have to get used to the more old-fashioned Dragon Age style of playing an RPG again. Not that this is bad, I just hope they don't try to pull a Jade Empire on it again.

I disagree. I found ME to be the most disappointing Bio game so far. I found the squad gameplay to be monotonous and all the environments in which said battles took place were basically rectangular environments with conveniently spaced boxes of stuff. There were a few cool environments but not much. The last few battles were pretty good, I agree with that. The planets were empty and the side quests were pretty much the same thing over and over.

I do agree with your criticisms of the game though. They gave us all this space to explore and it was basically empty. I generally like NPCs Bioware creates, but this time around, they call kind of seemed uninspired. Even Saren was a let down.

I did fairly enjoy my experience, but was generally left with a taste of, this could have been so much better. I usually play Bio games again as soon as I beat them, but I haven't really had the motivation to play ME again. I did like the overall story and I'm curious as to how they'll be able to stop a threat so massive in the next game. I also liked the important choices you had to make throughout the game. Everything else was just 'ok' for me

I actually like messing around in inventories and reconfiguring my party with better and better equipment and thinking of contingency plans in my head. I like reading the lore presented in the game world, (I loved ME's galactic encyclopedia) I like having total control over my party like in BG and IWD. I like items with history and a little backstory. So basically your game-halting experiences are game enhancing experiences for me. heh.

If Bioware brings all this back with Dragon Age I'll be one happy camper.

I'm really getting a "generic" vibe from these previews.

Also, the King looks like a total douchebag.

Doesn't look "bad" though.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Also, the King looks like a total douchebag.

heh I thought that too. Also call it a hunch, but also the first time I saw the king I at first thought "HAI! I AM THE GUY THAT WILL BE INVOLVED IN THE TWIST IN THE PLOT!!". Though I am probably wrong. I guess I'll find out when I buy it.

I am looking forward to Dragon Age enormously and part of the reason is that it is generic fantasy with a bit of its own twist, since, gasp, I like generic fantasy for its familiar yet fantastic millieu, especially when spiced up with just a hint of something different, but not too much. I am pretty sure I am going to like the game and realistically see only two issues that could be problematic:

1) System Requirements: I am relatively certain that I will not meet the minimum system requirements, but I will upgrade my computer at some stage, hopefully soon, so I will get the game sooner or later.

2) Excessive DRM ala Spore: BioWare is now part of EA, which is notorious for its draconian DRM policies. Realistically, this is the only thing that could prevent me from buying the game.

The first time I saw and heard the King, I thought to myself: He looks just like a parody of a hero, believing the myths and tales of great fights.

It turned out to be quite correct.

Isn't the King in the Ogre's hand though at the end of one the shown videos?

Maybe this is the plot twist.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

Fun DA fact for the day: DA has more dialogue than Planescape:Torment. And all the dialogue (except for the PC) is voiced.

Probably because it's way, way bigger than Torment.

Full voice doesn't automatically make anything better, because if the VA is crap it's a detraction. However, this just confirms my suspicions that it's shpaing up to be / trying to be another SoA. Which is cool.

Fun DA fact for the day: DA has more dialogue than Planescape:Torment. And all the dialogue (except for the PC) is voiced.

Probably because it's way, way bigger than Torment.

Full voice doesn't automatically make anything better, because if the VA is crap it's a detraction. However, this just confirms my suspicions that it's shpaing up to be / trying to be another SoA. Which is cool.

Umm, you forgot even more basic thing: If dialogue itself is crap it'll be unbearable

I have to say I've been very disappointed so far, especially by the writing which is ****ING AWFUL

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

A good VA can always compensate for bad writing quite easy. In an IE game, bad writing would have been a game breaker to me.... But when I look at rather "mediocre" written games with full VO like Kotor, Bloodlines etc., it's not that bad because the VA supplies a lot of atmosphere and authenticity.

Edited by Morgoth