New Dragon Age Walkthrough videos

Morgoth

Well, that's a different kind of 'bad writing', really. But yeah, VA & written dialogue both can really kill immersion if they go off the deep end.

The dialogue I've seen so far seems standard Bioware fare, like the 'filler' stuff you'd get in the BG series. The thing with, say, BG2 was though, they were interspersed with some great bits (i.e. Minsc). We shall see this time.

A good VA can always compensate for bad writing quite easy. In an IE game, bad writing would have been a game breaker to me.... But when I look at rather "mediocre" written games with full VO like Kotor, Bloodlines etc., it's not that bad because the VA supplies a lot of atmosphere and authenticity.

Uhh, Bloodlines has absolutely fantastic writing

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

A good VA can always compensate for bad writing quite easy. In an IE game, bad writing would have been a game breaker to me.... But when I look at rather "mediocre" written games with full VO like Kotor, Bloodlines etc., it's not that bad because the VA supplies a lot of atmosphere and authenticity.

No, it was okay, but surely not fantastic. But then again, Bloodlines also put additional emphasis into the actor performance, I thought that contributed also to the personality of the NPCs. In the end, it's not purely the dialog quality that makes or breaks an RPG these days, but how well all parts (acting, VO, design, functuality) play together that make it a satisfying experience. And I think if I can survive some badass dialogs a'la Gothic and still can enjoy it, DA should be a diamond among good ol' fashioned RPG goodness.

No, it was okay, but surely not fantastic. But then again, Bloodlines also put additional emphasis into the actor performance, I thought that contributed also to the personality of the NPCs. In the end, it's not purely the dialog quality that makes or breaks an RPG these days, but how well all parts (acting, VO, design, functuality) play together that make it a satisfying experience. And I think if I can survive some badass dialogs a'la Gothic and still can enjoy it, DA should be a diamond among good ol' fashioned RPG goodness.

I can't think of single badly written character in the game. Jeanette, Prince, Anarchs etc. were fantastically written. Even minor characters like Fat Larry (best. shopkeeper. ever) and that japanese demon hunter had a lot of character in them

Storytelling ranged from average to utter fail, but that's not writings fault.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

xardephelia

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The king isn't a douchebag. Anyone who thinks so is putting too much weight on his haughty voice. Edit: And his way of talking.

My thoughts on the kings is that he is the usual good guy with a problem with facing the real world and instead turns to the one from the stories.

I can see three way of him developing:

1) He goes down HARD because that's what happens to weak characters. Unlikely.

2) He shapes up and becomes more likable as the story goes on. Most likely.

3) He magically becomes a better character or nothing happens to him because Bio can't/won't do the above. Not particularly likely.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The king isn't a douchebag.

I think DA king is even bigger douchebag then Warcraft 3 Prince Arthas. And most likely face similar fate. Being douchebag don't always mean a bad thing in context of game characters. Both Prince from Bloodlines and Uther from Disciples 2 were great douchebags ;)

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I have watched the videos and I really like what I have seen so far. It looks as if Bioware has gathered up all its experience into one single game. I see a lot of similarities with BG and KOTOR (the gameplay that is). I like the fantasy setting as well, so I don't have any specific complaints.

I just hope that the DRM won't ruin such a good game...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I have watched the videos and I really like what I have seen so far. It looks as if Bioware has gathered up all its experience into one single game. I see a lot of similarities with BG and KOTOR (the gameplay that is). I like the fantasy setting as well, so I don't have any specific complaints.

I just hope that the DRM won't ruin such a good game...

I agree completely and am equally concerned about the DRM. A draconian rent-a-game DRM would force me not to buy the game regardless of its other qualities, which now appear obvious.

I don't, on the whole, like cutscenes. I like gameplay.

Developers like cutscenes. They get to show off their writing skillz and pretend they're in the movie business.

So, cutscenes, for me = meh.

On the plus side, I like the way the gameplay looks. Yes, it does remind me of Gothic / Oblivion a little, but there's only so many ways to present a single-player CRPG. Personally, I'd rather play the whole thing in tactical view but that's just me.

On aggregate, from those videos I like the look of the game. Just hope there's less darn cut-scenes. Yes, it's generic, but so what? I'm ignoring the hype and looking at the product, which looks pretty solid to me. And I'm as far from a Bioware fanboi as you are likely to get.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I don't, on the whole, like cutscenes. I like gameplay.

Developers like cutscenes. They get to show off their writing skillz and pretend they're in the movie business.

So, cutscenes, for me = meh.

On the plus side, I like the way the gameplay looks. Yes, it does remind me of Gothic / Oblivion a little, but there's only so many ways to present a single-player CRPG. Personally, I'd rather play the whole thing in tactical view but that's just me.

On aggregate, from those videos I like the look of the game. Just hope there's less darn cut-scenes. Yes, it's generic, but so what? I'm ignoring the hype and looking at the product, which looks pretty solid to me. And I'm as far from a Bioware fanboi as you are likely to get.

Cheers

MC

That's what I plan on doing. Playing through the game in tactical view.

I don't know why people keep saying game writing can't compare to movies. I'm sure its not comparable to a well written novel, but considering the majority of crap that Hollywood spews out, I actually prefer game writing and cutscenes.

Bioware has consciously never really shown plot points or story revealing dialogs in videos. Fair enough. I trust DaveG & Co. to deliver a game that is the butter and bread of Bioware. I.e. a game of good ol' IE quality.

Mass Effect exposed its entire plot in its marketing campaign. You could seriously know 85% of the story by the trailers and the different codex entries on their site.

Almost ruined the game for me, really.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 2 weeks later...

"Morrigan plays a really key part in the story..."

Not in my game she won't, she's going to die very quickly because I don't like being told who to take in my party. Unless of course there's a lame deus ex machina "she can't die" mechanic because it might spoil a lovingly crafted cutscene.

sonsofgygax.JPG