The quality of combat in Bloodlines and other games

Dark_Raven

You can't win JE with just one button. That's plainly impossible.

P.S. I beat athe IE games, and the FOs with just left clicking my mouse. L0L

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You can't win JE with just one button. That's plainly impossible.

P.S. I beat athe IE games, and the FOs with just left clicking my mouse. L0L

I did have to use the space bar every now and then to pause the IE games. I am weak >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hm, I didn't have any trouble finishing Bloodlines three times so far (and let's face it, you can't finish it without combat), and I generally suck at real-time combat. I thought Morrowind was much worse. Dark Messiah combat was fun to begin with, but got repetitive real fast. Gothic 2 combat relied entirely too much on player skill, but I found it pretty immersive.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

See the difference between combat system and actual combat.

oh shut up, i'd rather play a boring game of chess than a 'good' game of war (unless there is drinking involved)

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!

ermm what

that's way wrong analogy

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

JE > KOTOR in every way

Better writing? Seriously? NPC's? NPC's interaction...ie.. conversations? Both KotOR's?

I think he is referring just to the first KotOR. Otherwise he would state KotOR2. Personally I haven't played the KotORs. I got Jade Empire, both versions, but haven't gotten much into them. Been mostly playing MEPC since I beaten the Xbox360 version.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It always amazes me when people get so riled up about other peoples opinions of games.

So what, a person likes Kotor? Likes VTM:B combat, thinks JE is great, or thinks Kotor is crap etc etc etc.

Remember a persons taste will determine what they appreciate, most of my mates won't even give a second look to a RPG games or anything Sci-FI, are they dumb? No, they just prefer their FPS and RTS games and action/drama tv.

Xard Aug 29 2008, 11:55 PM

Imagine that this place would be Codex. You go there to praise Kotors rather simple combat because it allows most casual and newb players to assimilate game mechanics and that they are "sufficiently tactical" to make game fun for most people and not "too hard and complex" so it harms the game.

They'd laugh and ridicule you to no end, lambasting you as typical retarted modern gamer who is too stupid to read through ****ing brick for a manual that comes with "da real rpg's" and lern teh system.

Hate to break this to you, but 99% of the gaming world doesn't care what the people on that forum think, which for the most part, is a good thing. It is a forum for fanboys who sound exactly like the PS3/360 fanboys, usually not much intelligent discussion goes on there. Good for a laugh sometimes though.

J.E. Sawyer various remarks about Bio games

While I agree with what you say about the fps in their games, should a Obsidian dev really comment, when quite honestly your games to this date haven't fared much better? And are you saying that AP and the Aliens RPG will be at 60fps.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

KOTOR1 was high quality throughout, KOTOR2 was unfinished and unpolished, although often brilliant, Jade Empire Tien's Landing was well designed, but Imperial City was rushed and full of filler, Mass Effect had poor quality throughout as a result of time and resource constraints. One should be able to realize that without regard to personal preference.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Imperial City was rushed and full of filler

really? if it was rushed, it didn't show.

Mass Effect had poor quality throughout as a result of time and resource constraints. One should be able to realize that without regard to personal preference.

hmm, i think if you left personal preference aside, you might not be bitching so much about Mass Effect's 'poor' quality.

on topic: i though Jade Empire's combat was fun enuf, even if it was mostly button-mashing towards the end...

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

@newc

It did show, and so did ME stuff. I'm being objective, it's a matter of perceptiveness.

@Moat

I guess I was lucky I never found that combo. There were quite a few battles I had to attempt several times on hard and barely made through.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

how did this rushedness show?

JE is many things, but being rushed isn't one of them

That's like blaming weak area in HL2 as rushedness

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

The rushedness showed in most quests in Imperial City being really underdeveloped and boring. The Lotus Academy was just a retread of the Sith Academy from KOTOR, and they had to resort to even a second academy! Plus you had the arena which took up the bulk of the time there. Also if you look at the world map, it's similar to maps in other Bio games, but this one only has 2 locations, with there really being no point to traveling between them. Clearly there were originally supposed to be more locations, but they got cut. And what weak area in HL2? :lol:

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

@newc

It did show

did not.

and to think some folk worry about the quality of rational debate on the internet.

I'm being objective, it's a matter of perceptiveness.

wait, you're being objective?

oh, in that case, i take it all back then.

dumber than a bag of hammers

on topic: i though Jade Empire's combat was fun enuf, even if it was mostly button-mashing towards the end...

It stops being fun when you find a combo of styles that the AI can't beat.

There was a combo that the AI could beat? I died three times in the game and used nothing except legendary strike (+chi strike for ghosts). Once on the beach at the start and once each for two of the big bad guys that had a habit of putting up that shield that damaged attackers when I'm in the middle of a string of attacks that won't stop.

Edited by Deraldin

and to think some folk worry about the quality of rational debate on the internet.

Hey now, WoD is a genius so you've lost before the debate has even started. Don't be a sore looser.

@WoD

I've tried searching my memory for my mystary combo and I think it was just paralyzing the enemy and then using spirit thief to heal yourself. The AI didn't know how to break the cycle and you then had all the time in the world to beat him.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The rushedness showed in most quests in Imperial City being really underdeveloped and boring. The Lotus Academy was just a retread of the Sith Academy from KOTOR, and they had to resort to even a second academy! Plus you had the arena which took up the bulk of the time there. Also if you look at the world map, it's similar to maps in other Bio games, but this one only has 2 locations, with there really being no point to traveling between them. Clearly there were originally supposed to be more locations, but they got cut. And what weak area in HL2? :lol:

Uhh, that's called Standard Bio Developing

It had nothing to do with "rushing".

Hell, Bio games are not rushed

Imperial City is chockful with different missions, theater, battle circle, two masters fighting for control of school, the "western" ****...

One can hate on BIO because they dislike their games (men to them for the hate); but to claim BIO rushes their games is beyond funny.

P.s. JE > KOTOR 1+ 2

"I think he is referring just to the first KotOR. Otherwise he would state KotOR2."

Actually, if you read my earlier posts, I said both KOTORs. I find thats eries overrated. Fun, decent games; but that's it.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

you can't srsly claim JE's writing is better than K2's

ahh, you're just trolling :lol:

Volo is right on rushing thing