*Sareth stabs it when it starts to get up*

Goblin:"Yuuuu die hjuman!"

Sareth:"lol no u"

swish-swish-swah

Goblin:"Run AWAYYY"

*goblin turns and runs*

*Sareth throws his dagger into air, catches it, flings it into goblin*

Goblin flesh: "shtump"

*body rolls down a flight of stairs and tackles the next few goblins into a pile*

Mus: *a series of expletives and hollas*

Well, besides the absolutely gripping combat(which is bound to become tedious at some point, just not yet), the level design is particularly brilliant in this game. Over the Sea of Blood(and Dead Man's Trail as well) was a good start, but Temple of the Spider and The Spider Statue are some of the best woo levels ever in any game. Arkane really outdid themselves, Project Offset has to try considerably hard to match the example these French fellows have set.

Also, Goblin Garrett is back, lol.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

A recurring moment of brilliance in Dark Messiah:

*goblin comes around the corner*

Goblin:"Ae float like e goblin an' sting like e bee! Aiiiiii!"

*Sareth boots the goblin's noggin*

*Sareth stabs it when it starts to get up*

Goblin:"Yuuuu die hjuman!"

Sareth:"lol no u"

swish-swish-swah

Goblin:"Run AWAYYY"

*goblin turns and runs*

*Sareth throws his dagger into air, catches it, flings it into goblin*

Goblin flesh: "shtump"

*body rolls down a flight of stairs and tackles the next few goblins into a pile*

Mus: *a series of expletives and hollas*

Well, besides the absolutely gripping combat(which is bound to become tedious at some point, just not yet), the level design is particularly brilliant in this game. Over the Sea of Blood(and Dead Man's Trail as well) was a good start, but Temple of the Spider and The Spider Statue are some of the best woo levels ever in any game. Arkane really outdid themselves, Project Offset has to try considerably hard to match the example these French fellows have set.

Also, Goblin Garrett is back, lol.

Regarding the level design, doesn't the placement of spikes everywhere, and the tendency of enemies to stand perilously close to ledges kind of take away the fun of the combat for you?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You could aldo add, for instance, the enemies' mysterious tendency to prop heavy rocks and barrels on rickety scaffolding and then march under them into that list or the fact that there's a fire pit or tons of oil jars without any purpose whatsoever(though the former does serve as illumination), but that wouldn't really change the simple uniqueness of game. Nothing like this mix of swords and sorcery with physics and environmental interactivity had been done before, or since, and they've integrated the traps and environmental knick-knacks or hot spots into the game world a hundred times better than, e.g newer Prince of Persia games ever did(HAY, I THINK I SEE A DAGGER SLOT!!). They're also fresher than(since this is afterall a Source game) certain game series' love of filling nooks and crannies with exploding barrels, gas bottles and deadly projectiles. I've stopped paying attention to plausibility bending over to gameplay long time since, because the combat is visceral, fun and it plain works, which is everything that Arkane hype ever promised.

I also mainly play a stealth character, so the instances I do engage in melee are spread out enough that it stays fresh. Too busy backstabbing and freezing undead.

The game obviously has flaws, but I'm too caught into the moment to let them bother me. I'll be more critical once I finish the damn thing. It has enslaved me so perfectly that Disciples 2, Kane's Wrath and Stalker just sit on the desk untouched.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The problem isn't one of realism and plausibility but rather that it makes the kick too powerful. You can just go around always kicking everyone, and it's probably the most optimal way to play the game.

Heja Sverige!!

Is Dark Messiah anything like Oblivion?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

No, it's linear.

@mkreku: Considering your self professed hate of body awareness in FPV games why did you even play Dark Messiah?

Heja Sverige!!

Grabbed two games in the bargain bin at EB Games today, Fallout Collection and Trackmania.

I'll finally be able to give Fallout Tactics a try :(

Besides, it never hurts to have more cd's with Fallout 1 and 2 on them. I wonder if it is the crippled (EU) version or the full version of F2?

As for Trackmania, I really miss the good old Racing Destruction Set from Electronic Arts. Not exactly the same game, but it did look sufficiently wacky on the cover. At 9.95$ (OZ), how bad can it be?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, my Fallout Collection had UK versions of game so I had to download american patch and the children patch

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I hope that isn't the case :(

I still remember my sense of outrage back then, when I found out what all the floating voices and unsolvable quests were about. First time I ever wished the pox on a publisher :shifty:

Ah well, I mostly got it for Fallout Tactics.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@mkreku: Considering your self professed hate of body awareness in FPV games why did you even play Dark Messiah?

Huh? I didn't know I had such a hatred? Feel free to point me to where I wrote that.. I just generally feel that the controls are being compromised whenever there's a "body" attached to a first person viewed game. "Like fighting evil through maple syrup"...

Besides, I think Dark Messiah was one of those games that were sent to me for review purposes. And I hated how dumb it was, in everything from level design to how mind-numbingly obvious everything was laid out for you. It annoyed the hell out of me.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Body awareness ain't all that. No matter how realistic the first-person perspective might be considered, it's only ever going to be like looking through a camera, not seeing through human eyes. Our eyes aren't glued in place in our head so having the camera bobbing all over the place is just annoying.

I think I will play Fallout Tactics. In Diablo 2 I am at the point where I always have bad luck, that being fighting Duriel. Since I am playing in Hell mode, I will probably die and would have to use my second set of gear to fight him since my first set of gear would be in his lair where my body would be. The other end bosses I usually don't have a problem with. Duriel is pretty much a melee fighter while the other are magic users or those who fight from afar like my characters usually are. My character isn't really a melee fighter.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Huh? I didn't know I had such a hatred? Feel free to point me to where I wrote that.. I just generally feel that the controls are being compromised whenever there's a "body" attached to a first person viewed game. "Like fighting evil through maple syrup"...

Besides, I think Dark Messiah was one of those games that were sent to me for review purposes. And I hated how dumb it was, in everything from level design to how mind-numbingly obvious everything was laid out for you. It annoyed the hell out of me.

Well, hate is probably too strong a word but this is what I could find:

I hope not. I didn't like it in Thief 3, I didn't like it in the Dark Messiah of Might & Magic demo and I probably wouldn't like it in Bioshock. Having "body awareness" in a game, to me, translates into "sluggish controls". Not a good thing.

And I agree about the level design. It's just that if you ignore the level design and use the kick sparingly, the gameplay goes into the awesome zone. And everything is so delightfully chunky.

Heja Sverige!!

I think I will play Fallout Tactics. In Diablo 2 I am at the point where I always have bad luck, that being fighting Duriel. Since I am playing in Hell mode, I will probably die and would have to use my second set of gear to fight him since my first set of gear would be in his lair where my body would be. The other end bosses I usually don't have a problem with. Duriel is pretty much a melee fighter while the other are magic users or those who fight from afar like my characters usually are. My character isn't really a melee fighter.

I would suggest not doing that, since if you die with the second set of gear, you lose one set of gear forever if you quit, which I've had happen to me.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

For some reason Torment does not like me this time around :)

Most of the spell effects are corrupted (and cause sometimes crash) and starting yesterday I can't enter the mortuary except by getting myself killed by ruffians. Game crashes if I try to use main gate.

Bwaaaaaaggh

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

NWN2 (Lawful Evil rookie Blackguard, currently smiting orcs in Old Owl well - god I hate it that I can't slay NPCs whenever I feel like it).

Blitzkrieg 2 (just really, really good fun)

Medieval TW2 (modded, England turn 90-something, just kicked off a war with a rather powerful France with a Baltic-dominating Denmark glowering over my eastern flank)

Fallout Tactics? good call, I love it to bits. Shame nobody ever modded it.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

After a few atrocious rounds of BF: Bad Company, I finally had a decent one. The highlight was jumping into a tank, manning the guns, and tearing apart a couple buildings that were concealing enemy troops. I also unlocked the M16 and I'm having much better luck with it. Under the barrel grenades are money, I've taken out a tank with them and it was wonderful.

I would suggest not doing that, since if you die with the second set of gear, you lose one set of gear forever if you quit, which I've had happen to me.

That would suck. My first set was stuff I altered myself, one of a kind. Guess I'll just quit while the getting is good.

Onward to FoT then.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

That would suck. My first set was stuff I altered myself, one of a kind. Guess I'll just quit while the getting is good.

Onward to FoT then.

Yes...and then I emailed and called Blizzard, they basically told me to stfu and quit if I don't like it. Ah...such great support.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to, say... install Morrowind and its expansions could anyone recommend me some mods to, well... make it better?

Hypothetically speaking, how many thousand do you want? :shifty:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot