Arcania: A Gothic Tale

Italian Eurogamer gave Arcania a 5. They apparently disliked Risen too.

Going by what they said, there are very few choices and those are actually completely devoid of consequences anyway. Bad, bad, bad, bad.

EDIT: I may as well translate a snippet:

At least this time we don't have to write about horribly bad bugs, but there aren't many interesting moments and the 30/40 hours that it will take you to complete the main quest are unremarkable. The final result, to use a comparison, is analogous to a World of Warcraft session made of repetitive quests and without the possibility of chatting with friends.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Italian Eurogamer gave Arcania a 5. They apparently disliked Risen too.

Going by what they said, there are very few choices and those are actually completely devoid of consequences anyway. Bad, bad, bad, bad.

EDIT: I may as well translate a snippet:

At least this time we don't have to write about horribly bad bugs, but there aren't many interesting moments and the 30/40 hours that it will take you to complete the main quest are unremarkable. The final result, to use a comparison, is analogous to a World of Warcraft session made of repetitive quests and without the possibility of chatting with friends.

That sucks. I was actually thinking of picking it up today.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I liked the Gothic 2 combat system in which the player character seemingly suffered from cerebral paresis until you levelled up beyond a certain point.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That's what you get from people that thought Gothic combat was screwed up, you'll start hearing Arcania has 'fixed' it.

But then, people give Fable III super marks, I still don't get that.

I'm looking forward to Fable III. I rather enjoyed II after hating the first.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Is the king really called "King Rhubarb"? Those crazy germans :shifty:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yep, Gamersgate works now.

Oh, and the IGN review, well, never mind:

Instead it lets you leisurely enjoy the world and kill a lot of goblins and swamp flies along the way. In this way, the Gothic series has always filled in a more casual space than similarly minded RPGs.

I think this is bwahahahahahahahaha *facepalm*

Nevermind. Apparently it's not out here until next week. And that's Fallout day.

The link Tigranes posted works for US people if you don't mind downloads.

I'm actually looking at the 360 version.

*hides from the pitchfork wielders* :shifty:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Apparently it was partly-released yesterday but it was so buggy that Steam and other Direct download stores recalled it and postponed the release :skeptical:

..me and my friends are contemplating getting Gothic 3 instead, its supposed to be really ****ing bad but atleast playable

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

Gothic 3 is a lovely game.

I've heard that the full game runs very badly, what else though? is it that broken?

Well, I'm not getting it! At least not at full price. I will wait for Two Worlds 2, play through that and hopefully Arcania will be on sale when I'm finished.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I've bought it and played it for several hours yesterday. (Gamersgate had it in the morning).

So, some points.

First, there is some strange "date" protection activation. That is, it checks if the date is valid for activation of the game. Maybe it's due to different release date in the world.

Second, I'm playing the game in french and VO and dialogues are somewhat normal for a translated game. As a comparison, BW games have the same quality of VO in french than Gothic 4.

About combat difficulties, there are 4

- easy, medium, hard and gothic.

I've not tested the gothic mode, but it seems to be close to the gothic 2 combat system, but I may be wrong.

Story, quests...I can'ty say much after less than 10 hours into the game, but it doesn't seem to be that original. But it's not to the level of a MMO.

RPG system is between Gothic and AP/ME : you have hit points, stamina and mana points. You don't really have skills, you have some main pathes (like discipline, concentrations or those kinds of qualifications) with levels giving advantages like percentage bonus in HP, damages, mana... But at some specific levels in the "path", you gain a specific move/spell/change of effect in spell or move.

I would say the game is Ok for the moment. Maybe not full price or only if you really want a RPG to play waiting for FO:NV

First, there is some strange "date" protection activation. That is, it checks if the date is valid for activation of the game. Maybe it's due to different release date in the world.

Interesting. It's illegal to block a UK user from using a game purchased elsewhere in Europe. Jus' sayin'...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well, if you get it, make sure to patch it before playing. German tech sites are reporting a 25% increase in average fps after installing the patch! HUGE increase!

Source: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/arcania-goth...90,2318367.html

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Interesting, thanks Orchomene. If 10 hours you must have reached at least one big town centre, right?

1) How does the level design change after the tutorial island - do things open up and you can explore, or not really?

2) Can you try Gothic difficulty and see how hard it is, and whether it means enemies react faster (faster casting times, etc), or just more HP/damage?

If it's halfway positive on those two I might get it after all, since for TW2 I'd have to try and get it off a German site or something..