Arcania: A Gothic Tale

Me and me bro is going to get this and play it just so we can bitch to eachother about how entertainingly horrible german games are :D

..like when you intentionally rent a crappy movie just so you can sit and dissect its awfulness with your mates over a couple of beers.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Me and me bro is going to get this and play it just so we can bitch to eachother about how entertainingly horrible german games are :D

..like when you intentionally rent a crappy movie just so you can sit and dissect its awfulness with your mates over a couple of beers.

.....sucks to tell you but I believe that this game is the first Gothic not developed by Germans. :lol:

Actually it is, I was just messing with you.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

.....sucks to tell you but I believe that this game is the first Gothic not developed by Germans. :lol:

Actually it is, I was just messing with you.

Oh maaaaaan! You totally ****ing got me there, I was all like "Dude what the ****?!!?" then I was like "Ooh"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

quests and exploration are inferior to Oblivion. :lol:

I don't even understand how that would be possible.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Selective memory aside, if they'd compare with the quest quality of the Dark Brotherhood & Thieves Guild, then very few games would indeed compare with Oblivion.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Selective memory aside, if they'd compare with the quest quality of the Dark Brotherhood & Thieves Guild, then very few games would indeed compare with Oblivion.

OK. I can see the point about quests, although I'm not as enamored of the TG and DB quests as a lot of people apparently.

But the exploration? Srsly? Oblivion has some of the worst exploration I've ever seen in any game, open-world or not. I mean, FO3 kicked the snot out of Oblivion exploration-wise.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

TG/DB quests were decent, but they were good in the sense that they had a coherent narrative strung over multiple quests and a few tightly scripted, interesting situations. They didn't really present powerful emotional moments or nonlinearity in problem solving / quest outcomes.

Anyway, from the demo I can see what they mean - if you look closely at the level design in the demo it's absolutely horrible. Every place has only one route to go, and tiny, enclosed offshoots that so obviously contain a couple of herbs in very obvious places only served to highlight the weirdness. It actually feels like a railroad.

Anyway, from the demo I can see what they mean - if you look closely at the level design in the demo it's absolutely horrible. Every place has only one route to go, and tiny, enclosed offshoots that so obviously contain a couple of herbs in very obvious places only served to highlight the weirdness. It actually feels like a railroad.

On the other hand, it's still a tutorial area. It might be a good idea to not let modern-day gamers tarry too long in the beginning or they might lose interest and go back playing Starcraft 2 Call of Duty.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

On the other hand, it's still a tutorial area. It might be a good idea to not let modern-day gamers tarry too long in the beginning or they might lose interest and go back playing Starcraft 2 Call of Duty.

The reviews all pretty much agree that the game is this linear throughout the whole main quest.

Interesting tech preview:

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/arcania-goth...90,2318367.html

It's in German, but just click on the picture titles to see the difference between high, medium and low settings. Arcania seems to scale pretty well.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I just played the demo, and I simply couldn't even get myself to finish it. The world design is horrid, so many invisible walls. Dialogue is even worse, and the awful voice acting does nothing to improve it. The quest design was way too generic as well - "Go there, get this." If the demo reflects the rest of the game I'd rather waste my time in Oblivion, and that's saying a lot.

Italian review

82% score, they basically complain about the island/chapters structure and the lack of crafting skills, thievery, sleeping etc. that were present in the other Gothics, not to mention that the combat is less tactical. They still say that the atmosphere is essentially the same, especially in the dialogues (? can't say I felt like that with the demo) and... well, that the game performs like ****. And yet they award it an 82%. Interesting.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

2010-10-07.png

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I played games back then, and most were so hard that they were unplayable. It sucked, and anyone who says it was better back then is an idiot.

"Hey, Ive got a great idea. Why dont we make it so that the player has to bring a spare violet rose from the beginning of the game to use in the end otherwise he cant open the grave and continue to the castle?"

"Ok, but shouldnt we make some sort of hint that he has to grab an extra one? Or no one will be able to finish the game that doesnt already know this?"

"Precisely! It's friggin' hardcore man! No one can beat the game except us and our friends."

"Oh alright then."

And yet I prefer the sadistic way.

"Xbox Live Spy Department is reporting there's a Halo-generation kid that hasn't had fun in 28..29..30 seconds!!"

"Quick, throw in an achievement to distract him!!"

"Nooo, he is about to die without consequences and with a Revitalizing pod two feet from where he is! Panic!!"

"Make the weapons stronger! Make the enemies weaker and more braindead! And add an extra achievement for dying, goddammit!!"

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You're a sad, bitter, old man.

I played games back then, and most were so hard that they were unplayable. It sucked, and anyone who says it was better back then is an idiot.

I'm an idiot.

:crai:

Here be Arcania, available now as direct download at gamersgate, though UK/NA release is now 15th/19th respectively, I believe.

Is anyone actually getting this? Let me know, I'm still on the fence and want ohpeenoms.

And yet I prefer the sadistic way.

"Xbox Live Spy Department is reporting there's a Halo-generation kid that hasn't had fun in 28..29..30 seconds!!"

"Quick, throw in an achievement to distract him!!"

"Nooo, he is about to die without consequences and with a Revitalizing pod two feet from where he is! Panic!!"

"Make the weapons stronger! Make the enemies weaker and more braindead! And add an extra achievement for dying, goddammit!!"

I'm sorry, I can't read your post because you didn't start it with a wingding Y colored red.

You should have known that.

GAME OVER

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."