What are you playing now?

The Butcher isn't ment to be won at the character level you meet him. The stairs are accessible without killing him and the weapon he drops(Butcher's Cleaver, iirc) would unbalance any warrior character at that point. Instead, what you do is to go to level up and especially find better equipment a couple levels lower(and try not to mess with Leoric, he's way beyond anyone's skill at that point) and come back for another match!

The butcher is doable at a low level, but requires either a bucketload of points invested in health or a ranged weapon and endless patience. Neither is recommended.

And he's not really "a boss" as such, since the guy is optional and(iirc) does not even necessarily appear thanks to the random nature of the game's quests. By the by, I loved that feature, even though the rewards usually weren't worthwhile for my character. There was only one Sorcerer of mine that happened to come across both the Halls of the Blind and the Mage Armor quests(best quest rewards for a mage). And freaking poisoned well to boot!

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Currently playing myself for the first time. I am 10th Sorcerer on level 4 getting killed pretty frequently. Just getting swarmed wave after wave of bad guys. Is there a recommended way to level up? All points in magic? Evenly distributed?

I can't remember specifically when it is reasonably possible to get what spells, but keep a lookout for mana shield, it is freakishly good.

You need to max your stenght (45 I believe) at some point for the armour wearing ability and besides that you should mostly get a lot of mana as that will become your new healthpool when you get mana shield.

The only way I could play Diablo 1 was with a Sorcerer. Warrior felt very simple and restricted and Rogue was tricky to play on a relatively fast computer. But the Sorcerer...freaking powerful spellcaster and could still defend himself in melee. Well, up until Caves, that is.

Weakling! :p You do know about shift-clicking right?

Rogues are the best anyway (I'm not biased at all, honestly :sorcerer: ), they can tank almost as well as a warrior if not better than them after you've shaped them a little and spellcasting isn't exactly limited to the sorcerer. I planned on fireballing Diablo but dropped it when I accidentially stunlocked him with my bow WindForce. I was actually kinda let down when I saw that his hit recovery was that low.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Shift-clicking! How could I forget? It's the way real men play Diablo! Well, real men who can't do 12 Fire Walls inside the Chamber of Bones and laugh at the sweet sound of necks popping.

Anyways, wasn't Windforce the best bow in the game? I think they even brought it back in Duablo, though it wasn't as imbalanced.

And I really need to play again, I can't even remember the name of the mage armor. I think the name of the Halls of the Blind(great song btw) artifact was Optical Amulet, but it's as if the names of every other pieces of equipment I felt absolutely essential for my characters back then have escaped me. I can't even remember the name of the goblin who gives you the banner quest("Giv' uz banna o we ATTACK!").

I'll borrow the game off my friend and start a new game soon as I can!

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Shift-clicking! How could I forget? It's the way real men play Diablo! Well, real men who can't do 12 Fire Walls inside the Chamber of Bones and laugh at the sweet sound of necks popping.

Well... I actually think I could do that. :sorcerer: Firewall is standard issue for any rogues who want to do well. You've got the edge on teleport, bloodstar and all the less usefull spells. Diablo's biggest problem was that Fireball and chainlightning was more or less the highest you needed to go in spells and sorceres were simply trying too hard.

Anyways, wasn't Windforce the best bow in the game? I think they even brought it back in Duablo, though it wasn't as imbalanced.

Yep. It is also the only bow worth a damn, unless you count the random ones of course. I was actually contemplating going melee as I had zero luck in bows and then I get the Warlord of Blood quest and get a ring with insane amounts of resistance all and strenght as well as Windforce.

And I really need to play again, I can't even remember the name of the mage armor. I think the name of the Halls of the Blind(great song btw) artifact was Optical Amulet, but it's as if the names of every other pieces of equipment I felt absolutely essential for my characters back then have escaped me. I can't even remember the name of the goblin who gives you the banner quest("Giv' uz banna o we ATTACK!").

The only "mage armour" I can think of is the thinking cap with +2 spell level and 1 durability. And the goblin wanted a sign, Ogdens sign to be exact.

I'll borrow the game off my friend and start a new game soon as I can!

Are you saying you don't own it, treasure it and keep it under your pillow at night to make you feel safe? How queer.

Edited by Moatilliatta

I am having some serious trouble against Duriel as an amazon. I die way too quickly and keep getting frozen. Somehow, I think level 22 is too soon.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Duablo was a letdown in that regard, sure it was great that bookshelves gave out free town portal tomes, but that's about it.

I found a tome that gave me one free skill point in Diablo 2 last night. That was pretty sweet.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Duablo was a letdown in that regard, sure it was great that bookshelves gave out free town portal tomes, but that's about it.

I found a tome that gave me one free skill point in Diablo 2 last night. That was pretty sweet.

Quest based right? In Diablo you could find shrines that would give you a vague eerie message and some effect that was actually interesting, such as removing a level of one spell and adding one to every other, imbalanced as all hell but also quite fun.

Quest-poem that Mus? mentioned:

I can see what you see not,

Vision milky then eyes rot.

When you turn they will be gone,

Whispering their hidden song.

Then you see what cannot be,

Shadows move where light should be.

Out of darkness, out of mind,

Cast down into the halls of the blind

If they can bring stuff like that back and possibly balance it a bit then the game will be the better for it.

I just hit Hell with my warrior and look to be entirely screwed. I came down the stairs and immediately ran into a group of 20 snow witches which shoot faster than any other ranged attack I've come across so far and for some reason they don't like to melee with me. :sorcerer:

I think I'm around level 22-23ish, give or take a couple levels. My gear is pretty crappy though. Normal plate mail, helm of absorbtion, a couple of crappy rings that give +5 to certain skills, a shield that gives +45HP and a fine claymore. I've been getting really crappy drops and the shops haven't really had anything that good either.

Diablo1 responses:

Sorceror items were: Thinking Cap (pain to raise the durabilty w/shrines), Wizardspike (dagger), Naj's Light Plate, and Dreamflange (mace). The plate wasn't very useful past Normal, imo...the main reason to use it was to up your spell levels. I always found the D1 sorc to be easy to play...Don't put many points in VIT, since once you get mana shield, that's points largely wasted.

I found the Warrior fun, until you reached the Hell levels and to chase all over the place after those Succubi. The corner trick worked, but it was still tedious. :sorcerer:

Edit: @Deraldin - you need a lot of Magic resistance against the witches, as a Warrior, or it's very very painful. The only thing to do is to lure then around a corner and then try to get them in a corner. If you attack them from the right angle whilst they're in a corner, they cannot run away from you.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finished Overlord: Raising Hell

The final boss battle of raising hell was meh. The entire final dungeon was a little meh.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Edit: @Deraldin - you need a lot of Magic resistance against the witches, as a Warrior, or it's very very painful. The only thing to do is to lure then around a corner and then try to get them in a corner. If you attack them from the right angle whilst they're in a corner, they cannot run away from you.

I found a bow that'll put me up to max resist magic, but the stupid things killed me pretty quick anyway especially since my magic is pretty crap and the bow does so little damage. This could be an expensive start to hell. Pop in and kill one, pop out to heal, pop back in and kill another. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't all swarming the stairs. :*

Currently playing myself for the first time. I am 10th Sorcerer on level 4 getting killed pretty frequently. Just getting swarmed wave after wave of bad guys. Is there a recommended way to level up? All points in magic? Evenly distributed?

I can't remember specifically when it is reasonably possible to get what spells, but keep a lookout for mana shield, it is freakishly good.

Third level spell, which sounds great. I found the solution to hoards of foes...the Inferno spell works nice just wish it went further.

Still on level 4, but just found the stairs to level 5

Edited by Kelverin

boredom plus GBA SP = new discovery

playing pokemon emerald i've encountered for the first time ever something that is a challenge in a pokemon game!

hooray for the Battle Frontier

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I'm not playing anything, apparently. My computer is broke again. If it wasn't under warranty with this guy I'd go somewhere else.

3 months and counting of not being able to game on a PC.

I found a bow that'll put me up to max resist magic, but the stupid things killed me pretty quick anyway especially since my magic is pretty crap and the bow does so little damage. This could be an expensive start to hell. Pop in and kill one, pop out to heal, pop back in and kill another. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't all swarming the stairs. :)

You realize you're making me want to play D1 again, don't you? :lol:

And yeah, when they're near the stairs and you haven't cleared any areas so you have no where to back up to, it's really hard. That was the great thing about D1, imo ... you never had that kind of feeling of potential "doom" in D2 - or at least never so harsh.

I play WoW an hour or two each day maybe - all soloing, no raids etc. Hadn't played in a long while till last month. Mostly it gives me something to fart around with while waiting for Spore, tho I still find making gold and the AH game mindlessly pleasurable - in small doses.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

hmm i kinda feel like playing D1 again too

though it was ridiculously easy to beat Diablo himself

pretty much any weapon with knockback = dead Prime Evil

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

And despite seemingly still having the old problem with this computer, I just played a map of Kane's Wrath no problem. I...just... don't know anymore. It froze twice earlier.

And the artifacts on the Sam & Max menu are gone....

Did my computer just remember it was supposed to be fixed or something?

Edit: I also seem to have lost a resolution. 1440x900. I'm using a widescreen monitor. Its native is 1680x1050. Both are 16:10. But the former? Yeah, can't find it.

Edited by Tale

I found a bow that'll put me up to max resist magic, but the stupid things killed me pretty quick anyway especially since my magic is pretty crap and the bow does so little damage. This could be an expensive start to hell. Pop in and kill one, pop out to heal, pop back in and kill another. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't all swarming the stairs. :)

You realize you're making me want to play D1 again, don't you? :lol:

And yeah, when they're near the stairs and you haven't cleared any areas so you have no where to back up to, it's really hard. That was the great thing about D1, imo ... you never had that kind of feeling of potential "doom" in D2 - or at least never so harsh.

Managed to clear out that area. Had to jump in and out three times to get rid of the melee enemies in the room first. Then I popped in and and spammed firebolt a billion times. Cost me a fair bit for all the health and mana potions that took. One of them dropped a book of golem which I can never use (thanks to warrior mana cap) so I sold that to cover my potions. The rest of the level Consisted of my sitting just around the corner while the idiot succubi would stand right on the corner and have all their shots hit the wall while mine somehow hit them instead.

I finally finished Pools of Darkness. Had a great time playing the classic Radiance series (Pool of Radiance, Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades & Pools of Darkness). Pools of Darkness was both literally and figuratively an epic end to the series.

The last boss fight with Gothmenes was really brutal and I had to lower the difficulty level down to easy and use cheap tactics to win. It was a three round fight with rooms full of minions of bane, beholders and pets of kalistes.

After finally beating it I tried Dave's Challenge (an optional ending location to test how good your characters are) and I'm proud to say that I made it all the way to the final battle, but (Like in IwD 2, the Black Dragon fight and the hero's graveyard) it was just too hard. Dave's challenge made the final Gothmenes fight look like a pack of Kobolds. :)

I've kept a few save files in case I want to retry Dave's Challenge but for now I'm going to move on to Pool of Radiance II: Ruins of Myth Drannor. I found a downloadable hack/patch that allows me to speed up or slow down the game so battle sequences wont end up lasting hours as each enemy takes a turn.