What are you playing now?

Gorth

Oblivion still. I installed some nice nature mods. The scenary looks great.

hehe i've picked up many strange habits in that game

only ever fighting zombies with my fists

chasing down deer and trying to get them to run off cliffs to their deaths

always jumping on dining tables and kicking cutlery everywhere

jumping from rooftop to rooftop trying to avoid the ground for as long as possible

never ever ever ever killing Mr Snips (aka mudcrabs)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

More Civ4:BTS. I lost interest in my Darius game, and restarted as Hannibal. (Whose trait combination and excellent unique building probably makes him the best leader in the game, if you can manage to get most of your cities on the coastline.)

Anyhow, the game is on a Standard size map, Fractal map script, Epic speed, at Monarch difficulty, with the default 7 civs. Drew a very nice starting area. My continent is shaped like this:

|
 |

Elizabeth is in the far north with the Zulus just south of them, and, West to East, are the Aztecs, the Russians (Stalin), the Greeks (Alexander), and Me, Carthage, where the * is. The Incas are the other Civ, and they have their own island that is reachable by Galley to the NW of Aztec lands. It's a very aggressive slate of opponents (Alex, Monty, Shaka, and Stalin are all complete bastards), but my starting position will let me take them on one at a time.

So, I scouted out my area and managed to place my first city quite close to Greece, near the only copper resource I could find (Iron would later show up next to Carthage). That and a barbarian city that popped up to my SW helped focus Alexander's expansion towards the Russians in the West, and left me lots of room (with lots of luxury resources) to settle peacefully. I even built a couple early Wonders, which is unlike me. Stonehenge and, most importantly, the Great Lighthouse are both in Carthage. The Lighthouse (+2 trade routes in coastal cities) is absolutely godly on maps where you can build lots of ports (which I have), especially when combined with Carthage's unique building (replaces Harbor, +50% trade route yield, +1 trade route). I avoided founding a religion so that I can pick the one that will help me most diplomatically. Thus, Stalin's Buddhism (ha!) has become the dominant religion in every civ but England (Confuc.) and Incaville (Hindu).

But I got a little too focused on my internal development in the early "Classical" period and let my "power" rating slip. Alexander invaded. I beat his invasion force back pretty quickly, and fought to a stalemate for a bit while I finished a few important technologies and built up my forces. My kickass trade routes had given me a strong tech lead. Once I had some Catapults on-line (and razed his Iron Mine), he started to crumble. I eventually let him capitulate with 2 cities left along the Southern coast. As for the others, Stalin and Shaka (my best buddies) have been at war with Liz on-and-off. Monte has had an occasional scrape with the Incas, but I don't think that any cities have changed hands (the Trireme I sent scouting found them both contained on their repsective sides of the sea separating their homelands.

Now, I'm rebuilding my infrastructure and building up a strong lead in technologies. The Incas are my only real threat as a tech rival (the other Buddhists are drowning in unit costs and Liz is perpetually besieged due to her heathen Confucianism), but they don't have the land area to support a particularly large population. This may be the first time I've had this strong a lead this early on a Monarch level game. Now I have to decide if I want to play out the string peacefully and shoot for space, or leverage my tech lead into a military juggernaut that will roll over Stalin and Shaka for a Domination victory.

Edited by Enoch

Must shake urge to install CIV.... :)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Uh-huh.

I have yet to buy the expansions, in fear of addiction.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Actually after Enoch made his other earlier CIV post I installed the game and BTS almost immediately. I then suffered a bout of extreme guilt and responsibility, and uninstalled it about two minutes after starting it up. Maybe I'm getting old.

Heja Sverige!!

Tell me about it, I've had an urge to install Rome:Total War and a ton of mods ever since I took a hiatus about year ago, but each time I insert the cd into the drive and the Gold edition autostart screen pops up, I suffer a guilty episode, harking back to a year of doing next to nothing except playing Total Realism, posting about it here. And I just can't bear an addiction of that magnitude again.

4x games should be given to players only with prescription.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

My addiction problems are mostly kept in check by the fact that I don't enjoy the endgame very much. I come back to the game every few months, but eventually the tedium of the late game drive me away again.

Addendum to the scenario above: I am starting to get worried about Stalin. He seems to like me well enough in diplomacy, but he has a very large army that has just come back from war with Elizabeth, and I've caught a couple spies lurking around my territory that I think are his. I have recently gotten my second good production city up and running (it took a while to carve it out of some former-jungle) with the Heroic Epic, so that town is producing units non-stop to boost my Power rating and deter an invasion. I may not get any time to play tonight (have to do some shopping and make some tapenade to bring to an office potluck tomorrow), but when I fire it up again, I'll try to post a screenie or two to further tempt you all. :)

Uh-huh.

I have yet to buy the expansions, in fear of addiction.

I love Beyond the Sword. I hate that I suck at it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My favorite 4X is still MOO2. Civ4 was loads of fun, especially in co-op, but it didn't end having as big an impact to me.

I'm thinking about picking up Civ Revolutions on DS when it comes out. Civ in portable format, hmmm. Not sure if that's such a great idea, though.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It's instant life destroying addiction that you can carry anywhere with you. If I had a DS, I know I wouldn't buy it.

Heja Sverige!!

I'd be heavily surprised if the portable version played anything like the full fledge. Has anyone read up on it?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Apparently the 360/PS3/DS versions are all supposed to be exactly the same in terms of gameplay. They've probably been streamlined/'simplified' compared to the main series, though.

To be on-topic, I just ordered DMC4 for 360 and Nanostray 2 (shmup) for DS.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I am now playing BTS and it's clearly, everyone's fault but me.

Heja Sverige!!

With the transitioning-with-familiars/animals fixed, I'm revisiting NWN2 as a druid. He's neutral good, and I'm having trouble keeping him from going too lawful to stay a druid.

I don't want to have him work for Moire, so I just need to do the Watchman route without being particularly law-abiding.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

With the transitioning-with-familiars/animals fixed, I'm revisiting NWN2 as a druid. He's neutral good, and I'm having trouble keeping him from going too lawful to stay a druid.

If you have Qara in your party, you should be able to get a few chaotic points by agreeing with her actions in general.

Edit: The merchant with the imps at the Academy should also be able to provide you with a bit of chaos.

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And that's one Civ game done... It's now 2 in the morning.

Heja Sverige!!

Oblivion still. I installed some nice nature mods. The scenary looks great.

hehe i've picked up many strange habits in that game

only ever fighting zombies with my fists

chasing down deer and trying to get them to run off cliffs to their deaths

always jumping on dining tables and kicking cutlery everywhere

jumping from rooftop to rooftop trying to avoid the ground for as long as possible

never ever ever ever killing Mr Snips (aka mudcrabs)

I like watching the night sky among other things.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm playing through NWN2 as an Assimar Socerer/Eldrich Knight. I don't know if choosing the prestige class was a good or bad idea, but I wanted to make a spell casting character that didn't rely soley on casting spells.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It was a game on Chieftain that I just started to get a quick fix, so that I would work afterwards. That didn't go according to plan.

It was really easy and pointless of course, given the very low difficulty.

Details: Small Pangaea, Suryavarman II was my Civ, Ragnar declared war on me once, and lost his entire attacking army with that little prank. Cultural victory around 1900. 15000 points. It's really easy to get high points in Civ IV. If I won a similar game in Civ 1, I'd get a Dan Quayle rating.

Heja Sverige!!