BREAKING NEWS: ALPHA PROTOCOL - OBSIDIAN MMORPG

Llyranor

The whole idea with using static HP to represent damage taken is obsolete in todays computer games. The system used in Gears of War, Mass Effect or CoD4 is much smoother. No more medkits, no resting in the middle of a level and no more dying frrom a flybite because a previous encounter took 95% of your health bar.

I have played none of those games, but I think I agree. Hit Points are not representative of your character's actual health, they are representative of your character's action-hero mojo. Especially in a modern setting where 1 bullet would realistically mean incapacatation or death, the health bar makes little sense. If John McClane can fall six stories and get punched in the teeth a dozen times with nothing to show for it but a dust-covered sheen of sweat and an attractive scratch on his left cheekbone, why shouldn't our RPG characters?

Edited by Enoch

Jesus ****ing christ, that sounds like truly stupid ****

phail

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Also, I agree with whoever it was who posted that non-combat solutions should be emphasized. If I wanted a game that's all about strafing, cover, and grenades, I'd go buy one of the bajillion WWII re-enactment games out there. Gunplay should be a rare event.

What the crap is wrong with this thread? Oh wait, I know, all of you.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Also, I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I'll be interested to know how far they're going down the James Bond light comedy/action route, and how far they're going to address serious issues like use of torture to get information, and paying informants who are still active terrorists. If you want a game with tough moral choices, this setting is ideal. :lol:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'll be interested to know how far they're going down the James Bond light comedy/action route, and how far they're going to address serious issues like use of torture to get information, and paying informants who are still active terrorists. If you want a game with tough moral choices, this setting is ideal. :p

Getting some wicked ideas for new mini games... water boarding, electrocuting, drug injections (oblivion persuation mini game, go home)... :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If John McClane can fall six stories and get punched in the teeth a dozen times with nothing to show for it but a dust-covered sheen of sweat and an attractive scratch on his left cheekbone, why shouldn't our RPG characters?

Because games have failstates.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If John McClane can fall six stories and get punched in the teeth a dozen times with nothing to show for it but a dust-covered sheen of sweat and an attractive scratch on his left cheekbone, why shouldn't our RPG characters?

Because games have failstates.

Well, sure. The film, of course, is of the final runthrough after you've reloaded six time figuring out how to do it correctly. But the central premise that all non-fatal injuries can be "walked off" is, I think, an improvement over the "medkits that instantly heal bullet holes" mechanic. Both are unrealistic, but so is taking on the hoards of machine-gun-weilding generic badguys that both games and movies throw at their heroes. It's part of the fantasy.

But the central premise that all non-fatal injuries can be "walked off" is, I think, an improvement over the "medkits that instantly heal bullet holes" mechanic. Both are unrealistic, but so is taking on the hoards of machine-gun-weilding generic badguys that both games and movies throw at their heroes. It's part of the fantasy.

Realism has jack to do with it. It's not an improvement, it's just different. They're not interchangeable. It's like saying first person view is an improvement over third person view. Or over-the should look aim is preferrable to auto-targetting. They do different things. Try throwing a regeneration mechanic into any Half-Life game, the game would become a joke. It all depends on what they're going for.

John Mclane would have probably used medkits, in honesty. Games with regenerating health typically have some kind of formal or informal safety mechanic (cover being common, whether it's press a button to flush against a wall or simply press duck behind it) to fall back on while the health regenerates. Games that use medkits are often more flexible, sometimes allowing gung-ho maneuvers (though Halo does include more allowance for this than some others with regenerating health) because they can allow you to take more damage, but you have to ration it. A regenerating health mechanic can't allow that unless they're opting for near invincibility because they drop any real rationing. What this would come down to is if they want the player to hide behind a wall while firing, moving forward then pulling back constantly, or just wade straight in and go for broke.

Though I will admit regenerating has to be easier from a development POV. Designers never have to worry about player rationing of health, how to set up encounters to allow for gung-ho approach and then give them downtime afterwards to compensate for low health, or anything of that nature.

Aside that Halo/CoD2 level regenerating health would pretty much prevent the appearance of a health based skill. Which I think would be a good customization allowance for an RPG.

Edit: That would be an interesting character trait style option. Walk-it-off: Character can recover from most damage very quickly, however has a lower threshold. Or conversely, Soak-it-up: Character can take much more damage, but recovers from damage much slower.

Edited by Tale

The whole idea with using static HP to represent damage taken is obsolete in todays computer games. The system used in Gears of War, Mass Effect or CoD4 is much smoother. No more medkits, no resting in the middle of a level and no more dying frrom a flybite because a previous encounter took 95% of your health bar.

I have played none of those games, but I think I agree. Hit Points are not representative of your character's actual health, they are representative of your character's action-hero mojo. Especially in a modern setting where 1 bullet would realistically mean incapacatation or death, the health bar makes little sense. If John McClane can fall six stories and get punched in the teeth a dozen times with nothing to show for it but a dust-covered sheen of sweat and an attractive scratch on his left cheekbone, why shouldn't our RPG characters?

I'm reminded of a set up used by some RPG or another I read some time or another in some dim and hazy past that suggested that the "HP" (they didn't call it that) was really the PC's ability to *avoid* injury.

IIRC they had a double mechanic, if someone attacked you and scored a "hit", you lost some of your "avoid damage points". When the ADP were used up then a hit actually DID damage your HP, leaving you severely injured (and in the P&P world, looking at recouperation time).

So if someone shot at you, rolled a hit, and you had enough ADP to cover the "damage" you'd take, your were able to avoid being shot. If not you got shot in a body part, possibly fatally. If you jumped from a second story floor and had ADP to cover it, you did an action-movie land and roll. If not you broke something. And so on or some such.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Given that you don't even know if you can customise your characters apperance you're being Hades a bit early on this occasion.

And we can't help it if you're gender confused.

We will probably have as much control to customize the appearance of the developers' character as we did with the Nameless One in PS:T. However there is no confusion here about gender. I like looking at attractive females. If you don't... Well, that is a personal matter go into here.

:)

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

We will probably have as much control to customize the appearance of the developers' character as we did with the Nameless One in PS:T.

I wish I were old and grumpy so I could have knee-jerk reactions to everything.

And dude, don't worry, nobody is going to judge you.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I now have an idea for an anti-Sand system. Screenshots of male butts. I think Metal Gear Solid would be a good choice. Snake's is practically a trademark.

HA!

What is really bad was the one Bok, I think it was him, who was running Crysis in third person.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"