Sand begins to sing...

I hate you!

You hate me!

We are a dysfunctional family!

With chainsaws

and hollow point bullets,

lets go on murder spree!

:)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Hey, I am not pissed off. I'm a console gamer now. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

But didn't Sand quit gaming forever? :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

But didn't Sand quit gaming forever? :)

Eh, close enough.

I quite gaming on Nitendo and Sony systems. Yeah... That's it. :grin:

Edited by Sand

Just wait til Bioware announces it's PS3 exclusive!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :o

• 2 weeks later...

He crippled his head?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm just waiting for the day when player characters won't have their weapons attached to their bodies with velcro. Are actual holsters and/or shoulder straps to much to ask for? I'll take those over hdr any day.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

VELCRO IS THE FUTURE!

VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELCROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm just waiting for the day when player characters won't have their weapons attached to their bodies with velcro. Are actual holsters and/or shoulder straps to much to ask for? I'll take those over hdr any day.

This people is an example of overwhelming ignorance. Yes crashgirl, to do them properly is a very very very big ask, also it's very processor intensive.

It would require complex cloth physic's, well i say cloth physics, but basically material physics for things such as leather, some damn fine bounding volume geometry.

Naturally it's possible, but the cost of that compared with...

// ----------------------------------------------
// paramaters provided by the application
texture hdrTexture;
float Exposure;
sampler hdrSampler = sampler_state
{
  Texture = (hdrTexture);
  ADDRESSU = CLAMP;
  ADDRESSV = CLAMP;
  MAGFILTER = LINEAR;
  MINFILTER = LINEAR;
  MIPFILTER = LINEAR;
};

texture bloomTexture;
sampler bloomSampler = sampler_state
{
  Texture = (bloomTexture);
  ADDRESSU = CLAMP;
  ADDRESSV = CLAMP;
  MAGFILTER = LINEAR;
  MINFILTER = LINEAR;
  MIPFILTER = LINEAR;
};

// I/O Structs
struct VS_OUTPUTLUMINANCE
{
  float4 Pos      : POSITION;
  float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD0;	
};

// vertex shader
VS_OUTPUTLUMINANCE vs_luminance(float4 Pos: POSITION)
{
  VS_OUTPUTLUMINANCE Out;

// Simply output the position without transforming it
  Out.Pos = float4(Pos.xy, 0, 1);

// Texture coordinates are setup so that the full texture
  // is mapped completeley onto the screen
  Out.texCoord.x = 0.5 * (1 + Pos.x);
  Out.texCoord.y = 0.5 * (1 - Pos.y);

return Out;
}

// pixel shader
float4 ps_luminance(float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD0) : COLOR
{
// exposure level
static float fExposureLevel = Exposure;

// sampler colour maps
float4 hdrColor = tex2D(hdrSampler, texCoord);
float4 bloomColor = tex2D(bloomSampler, texCoord);

// lerp between the two colour maps
float4 color = lerp(hdrColor, bloomColor, 0.65);

texCoord -= 0.5;	// range -0.5..0.5
float vignette = 1.0 - dot(texCoord, texCoord);

// multiply colour with vignette
color *= vignette * vignette;// * vignette * vignette;
// multiply colour by exposure leve;
color *= fExposureLevel;

// map colour back to non fp values and return
return pow(color, 1.0);
}

// technique
technique Luminance
{
   pass Pass1
   {
VertexShader = compile vs_1_1 vs_luminance();
       PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 ps_luminance();
   }
}   

//----------------------------------------------------------------
// Variables provided by the application
#define SAMPLE_COUNT 15

float2 SampleOffsets[sAMPLE_COUNT];
float SampleWeights[sAMPLE_COUNT];
// Textures and Samplers
texture renderTexture;
sampler renderTextureSampler = sampler_state
{
  Texture = (renderTexture);
  ADDRESSU = CLAMP;
  ADDRESSV = CLAMP;
};

// Output Structures
struct VS_OUTPUT 
{
  float4 Pos: POSITION;
  float2 TexCoord: TEXCOORD0;
};

// Vertex Shader
VS_OUTPUT vs_main(float4 Pos: POSITION)
{
  VS_OUTPUT Out;
  // Clean up inaccuracies
  Pos.xy = sign(Pos.xy);

Out.Pos = float4(Pos.xy, 0, 1);
  // Image-space
  Out.TexCoord.x = 0.5 * (1 + Pos.x);
  Out.TexCoord.y = 0.5 * (1 - Pos.y);

return Out;
}

// Vertex Shader
float4 ps_main(float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD0) : COLOR0
{
   float4 c = 0;

// Combine a number of weighted image filter taps.
   for (int i = 0; i < SAMPLE_COUNT; i++)
   {
       c += tex2D(renderTextureSampler, texCoord + SampleOffsets[i]) * SampleWeights[i];
   }

return c;
}

technique GaussianBlur
{
   pass Pass1
   {
       VertexShader = compile vs_1_1 vs_main();
       PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 ps_main();
   }
}

In terms of development time, general compatibility etc... well... I think you're getting my point here?

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Dude, wtf? A lecture in coding? gafl. I KNOW they are hard to do which is why we haven't seen them. I was merely remarking I would like to see them. They mean more to me than other grahpical features.

Get over yourself.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

All screenies old, except for the sad pipboy one I think. The pipboy doesn't look amazing, but it looks pretty good to me, generally. Certainly, Fallout Boy is a charm in and of itself.

And yeah, things like weapon holsters, better collision physics and so forth would be so, so much better than HDR or whatever, but as Night says they're hell of a task to undertake. I'm just waiting for the day when we can blow up pillars, and organically, that makes the ceiling crumble down due to the physics - then FPS will finally be fun!

Dude, wtf? A lecture in coding? gafl. I KNOW they are hard to do which is why we haven't seen them. I was merely remarking I would like to see them. They mean more to me than other grahpical features.

Get over yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't intending to give some sort of coding lecture, more just show the majority of the size of a basic HDR implementation.

Graphical features are, in alot of ways alot easier to implement, and certainly something that alot of people like... Myself included.

It's not that its hard to implement cloth physics in an environment with awesome collision detection, it's more a matter of resources within a said company, and perhaps more importantly computing resources themselves.

Some of the best top end systems would be just about capible of running the sort of thing that you'd like to see, I'd like to see it too, but realistically physic implementations are really still quite basic.

NVIDIA has a nice example of a sheet of cloth which you can cut up and place over spherical objects etc... but that's far from perfect, spherical collision is infact the fastest method of collision available as far as I can recall, even a box is more complicated.

The reason for my response was not to insult but more to demonstrate that while HDR is a common graphical feature that is often thrown around, some folks like it some folks don't, it's actually a fairly simple process which is why it is so common now that it has been established, it's also expected.

The two are not comparative, and I felt you was making a statement of equality. Perhaps I jumped the gun. I just wanted to make it very clear that the kind of thing you're asking for is cosmetic, resource intensive, and certainly not essencial. It is on the otherhand not that hard to implement and certainly if you didn't want to do much else an implementation could be done, a poor implementation like was commonly seen in tomb raider is really the best you could hope for.

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

OK, NatS. I thank you for the info. You are a good source for things like this. I learn quite a bit from yoor various posts on cdoing. I apologizee if my own post was a bit twitchy in response. You kinda ruffled my feathers with the ignorance remark. I plead guilty. But no big deal really. :brows:

OK, NatS. I thank you for the info. You are a good source for things like this. I learn quite a bit from yoor various posts on cdoing. I apologizee if my own post was a bit twitchy in response. You kinda ruffled my feathers with the ignorance remark. I plead guilty. But no big deal really. :brows:

It's cool... I wasn't implying stupidity :bat:

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

I think it would be nice if more games came with behind-the-scenes and developers commentary, then normal people would be able to get a sense of how immensely complex the tiniest feature can be.

Ive been doing loads of rigging and animation work, and even thinking about features like those crashgirl suggested gives me a headache. I thought it was simply amazing how smoothly ME handled it :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think it would be nice if more games came with behind-the-scenes and developers commentary, then normal people would be able to get a sense of how immensely complex the tiniest feature can be.

Ive been doing loads of rigging and animation work, and even thinking about features like those crashgirl suggested gives me a headache. I thought it was simply amazing how smoothly ME handled it :)

Have you got IK, and physique options?

Animation in general is a tough disipline, of all the guys I knew on the design degree, there are two which are competant animators.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

This people is an example of overwhelming ignorance. Yes crashgirl, to do them properly is a very very very big ask, also it's very processor intensive.

It would require complex cloth physic's, well i say cloth physics, but basically material physics for things such as leather, some damn fine bounding volume geometry.

You're overthinking it. Putting weapons into holsters has been done for some time. I've got a PSOne games where characters can sheathe swords. I can't fathom why you'd want or need to get physics involved. There's no need for the holster to actually "hold" the weapon. In fact, there's no need for the holster to even be a seperate object from the weapon when the weapon is holstered. It just needs to look like a weapon in a holster. Which should be more of a modelling task than physics.

The complication I see is, how do you actually sling a shotgun over your back? Do we actually have straps in existence that pin firearms to people's backs allowing free use of their hands with another firearm?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You're overthinking it. Putting weapons into holsters has been done for some time. I've got a PSOne games where characters can sheathe swords. I can't fathom why you'd want or need to get physics involved. There's no need for the holster to actually "hold" the weapon. In fact, there's no need for the holster to even be a seperate object from the weapon when the weapon is holstered. It just needs to look like a weapon in a holster. Which should be more of a modelling task than physics.

The complication I see is, how do you actually sling a shotgun over your back? Do we actually have straps in existence that pin firearms to people's backs allowing free use of their hands with another firearm?

i agree, to have the holster seperately is not needed, the animation to put away/take out the weapon is important

IB1OsQq.png

Well, no. I would like to see the weapon and the holster as seperate objects and the player character actually places the weapon in the the holster and the holster actually holds the weapon as a separate object. The weapon could fall out. Or it could be removed by an NPC.

Shoulder straps though could be more cosmetic than functional. They really don't have to do anything other than appear to be holding the weapon in position.