Zero Punctuation - Yahtzee reviews

Pop

Yatzee actually thinks Saints Row 2 is good:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...12-Saints-Row-2

Its a poorly done and rather immature GTA-ripoff with very ugly graphics, thats it. Yatzee is a bloody idiot.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its a poorly done and rather immature GTA-ripoff with very ugly graphics, thats it. Yatzee is a bloody idiot.

Did you buy it?

I've actually heard very solid reviews from everybody, calling it a silly version of GTA that is just charming.

I disagree here. Saints Row 2 certainly isn't anything close to highbrow, or trying to achieve some sort of artistic integrity. It seems like it has the same celibration for "stupidly awesome" as the 80's action movies, which is perfectly understandable.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's not perfect, but it's the best at what it does.

10/10

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I think Rockstar is learning somthing from their GTA 4 experiance. People liked GTA IV but they preferred it when we didn't have people calling us every few minutes to go eat food or watch strippers or stuff. The fact you had to micromanage your relationships while realistic wasn't fun, you just wandered out and talked to them for 2 minutes then ran back. Like Yahtzee says GTA IV can't decide on a tone, one minute it's really serious with the death of Vlad, the next Brucie is doing his stupidly funny over the top steroid induced psychosis.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The GT4 calling thingie was awesome becaue it added depth and dimension to the interaction with the games charactrs, AND it was completely optional, you could just set the phone on busy and they wouldnt bother you. So complaining about it is just plain silly.

...and I tried SR2 for the 360 a week ago. Its exactly like they tried to make GTA4 but with one tenth of rockstars budget and an even smaller portion of their brains

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yahtzee is a very funny bloke but he sometimes gives good reviews to crap and gives bad reviews to stuff which deserves much better, c.f. his treatment of most CRPGs. the thing to bear in mind is that he's writing to entertain more than actual analysis - even when he's ripping on a game that i like, i can appreciate the jokes he's making.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Yahtzee is a very funny bloke but he sometimes gives good reviews to crap and gives bad reviews to stuff which deserves much better, c.f. his treatment of most CRPGs. the thing to bear in mind is that he's writing to entertain more than actual analysis - even when he's ripping on a game that i like, i can appreciate the jokes he's making.

Definitely! I certainly don't go to the site to get an opinion-forming review of a game - I go there to be entertained.

I enjoy his often negative approach, even if it is something of a shtick. Its a refreshing change of pace from the usual ball washing reviews these days. I'd like to see more reviewers take a more brutal, no-holds-barred approach to game reviews.

And I have to say that a lot of his reviews of games I've played often make good points. Even when he insults games that I enjoy, I'm often in agreement with his points.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Just to follow suit, he will give a slight positive review of Fallout 3.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Just to follow suit, he will give a slight positive review of Fallout 3.

Nah, he's going to pan Fallout 3. Major complaints will be too much talking and everything is brown.

That shtick is getting pretty old.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

it's not brown. it's gunmetal grey and Dogsh** brown.

Yhatzee does have his foibles. I find it interesting that he curses one game for not having enough story or for having a story made of cardboard cutouts, and then curses another game for having too much story or being do slow. He seems to think the story is a balancing act, and while to a degree it is it feels like he's got a little to sensative of a board.. or weight or somthing. I'm pretty sure that if he burrowed into it He would have loved mass effect and maybe Witcher. Heck he didn't even get past the first chapter of witcher (maybe got into the second chapter... if my "# of girls Geralt slept with" count is right) and he condemned it when the first chapter is just the way that they force the player to figure everything out. I do follow some of his points (like GTA IV feeling like it's not designed with the same over the top stupidly funny ideas in mind... I miss the humor of the other gtas) valid and others not so valid. Like in assassins creed your targets explaining that they aren't really bad guys... is that really a bad thing? I do like his reviews if only for the humor. I tend to find that I like alot of the things he hates (Lots of dialogue and backstory to a game) and hate some of the things he purports to love (the horror genre in general... I've never been the same since that illfated day where I caught "Are you afraid of the Dark?" on Nickelodeon when I was 10 and stayed up for three days strait fearing that a clown drooling blue stuff was going to eat me)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've never been the same since that illfated day where I caught "Are you afraid of the Dark?" on Nickelodeon when I was 10 and stayed up for three days strait fearing that a clown drooling blue stuff was going to eat me

I know the feeling very well. I saw Stephen King's It at 6. It spawned a decade long fear of clowns until I finally mustered the courage to turn my fear into outright hatred.

To this day, whenever I see a clown, I must suppress the urge to murder it in a horrible fashion and put its head in my fridge.

I remember being 12 when I saw the drooling clown episode. Laughed till I dropped.

I'll never get clownfobia. Then again, no one else ever gets my claustrophobia.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I enjoy his often negative approach, even if it is something of a shtick. Its a refreshing change of pace from the usual ball washing reviews these days. I'd like to see more reviewers take a more brutal, no-holds-barred approach to game reviews.

And I have to say that a lot of his reviews of games I've played often make good points. Even when he insults games that I enjoy, I'm often in agreement with his points.

Well, I have a very different taste than he does, but I love the entertainment value regardless of what game he is bashing! ;)

Every review he does makes me laugh at some point.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.