Zero Punctuation - Yahtzee reviews

Pop

I wonder how much fault goes on the translation though - it is horrible thing to try translate from Japanese to English.

It is much more complex and nyanced language full with inclined meanings just on the order words go. English on the other hand is evolved point of rather straight forwardness (though rules of your language more than a bit nonsensical compared to other languages in your language family - well, nothing that some hundreds of years of language evolution won't take care of)

I should know - NGE has THREE major subs and none of those gets all quite right although Literal Translation Project and Platinum DVD subs are both great. But both miss SOMETHING and series with such subtle aspects forming theories on "wtf is happening at time" or "what's meaning of that" can be quite horrendous task, especially when remembering Anno has tendency to use particularly contrived though masterful use of japanese language. I guess thing is somewhat same in MGS's- many sentences that make perfect sense and flow in japanese may end up incredibly corny and stupid line in english. See Final Fantasy translations for example.

Of course Kojima may just suck at writing dialogue in japanese too but from experience I'd blame translations

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I wonder how much fault goes on the translation though - it is horrible thing to try from Japan to English

Direct translation is always bad, but it's still possible to get a good translation. You just need to learn to send the same message, but still have smart dialogue in the other language. In other words, translation is the goal but you still need good writing.

EDIT: In any case, it doesn't excuse the redundance.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yeah, it is quite possible to make good translation. But japanese has many words and meanings which just don't have english equivalent.

For another example in finnish we have 5 to 10 (can't remember exactly) for snow.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Not to mention Japanese just doesn't function like English. It's one thing to have different grammar and vocabulary, it's another to have a whole different system.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yeah

I just don't get where this whole "dialogues suck" thing came from. I haven't played MGS4 but in previous titles I found dialogue to be average overall (if compared to everything) but pretty good for a game.

Yeah

I just don't get where this whole "dialogues suck" thing came from. I haven't played MGS4 but in previous titles I found dialogue to be average overall (if compared to everything) but pretty good for a game.

It's not a matter of quality, it's just a question of having too much.

Like how they cut parts out of a movie so it fits into a certain time. Games sometimes need that too, but not for the same reason. People might get annoyed, bored or simply confused.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

• 3 weeks later...

wow... nobody bumped with lego indy and the bonus of the Kingdom of the crystal skull review?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And it was funny too.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I still watch it religiously.

Heja Sverige!!

This review was one of the best ever by the way. I now have a name for incompetent designers.

Heja Sverige!!

The Terry/Gonad design team bit really made it for me.

Heja Sverige!!

The Terry/Gonad design team bit really made it for me.

Me too. Maybe there's hope for some sort of reccurring characters?

I guess part of the reason why I didn't jump at that one was because the whole gonads=balls thing kinda flew over my head for a few seconds.

Also, I laughed at his way of putting the MGS4 plot at his blog (look for the big background-coloured spoiler).

That plot sounds really atrocious. I mean, completely pathetic. PATRIOTS?

Heja Sverige!!

I guess part of the reason why I didn't jump at that one was because the whole gonads=balls thing kinda flew over my head for a few seconds.

Also, I laughed at his way of putting the MGS4 plot at his blog (look for the big background-coloured spoiler).

That plot sounds really atrocious. I mean, pathetic? PATRIOTS?

Do remember that some of it comes from his writing style, but yes Kojima does fall through from time to time and anyone who isn't a huge fan (Xard et al.) will sometimes find that they play despite the flaws. Then again I'm judging from the first game which is all I've played as of yet, and the fourth game could be truly horrendous from all I know.

Edit: Have you played MGS1?

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Just the PC demo. It didn't impress me. Felt too hemmed in, and "SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Heja Sverige!!

Just the PC demo. It didn't impress me. Felt too hemmed in, and "SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Exactly. :p

I'm surprised that you felt too hemmed in as the MGS series has always, in my opinion, been one of the best at giving the illusion of non-linearity when solving problems without actually having non-linear problems.

I don't know, maybe it was just because it was the demo,

Heja Sverige!!

MGS1 actually had the best story because it was self contained, didn't have its head up its own arse and actually made sense without having to bring in illuminati and nanomachine crap.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I don't know, maybe it was just because it was the demo,

You should try it out if you like stealth action and can find it cheap.

Edit: The MGS 1 story is actually quite good considering most stories in PC games and is as such a plus.

Edited by Moatilliatta