http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/ - Kotor MMO probably confirmed :(

Dagon

I liked the story. Thought the setting was pretty shallow and gameplay was repetitive and shallow, though. You only have three stats, for crying out loud!

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

For me:

story = great

storytelling (although a bit too cinematic and linear for me) = good

setting = interesting but too shallow (or maybe I should say setting had/has great potential but execution was lackluster)

gameplay = repetitive

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Well, the game was only like 20 hours, so it can't be too repetitive :*

I enjoyed the story and characters. I definitely think the setting was incomplete, but Bioware has been using IP's for years and it's not easy to develop your own universe, particularly in a short time. Dragon Age has had a lot more development time, so I'm hoping the universe will be more fleshed out.

So bashing Bioware sure seems to be the popular flavor this year, even before the EA buyout. What's the deal?

Mass Effect *puke*

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Well, the game was only like 20 hours, so it can't be too repetitive :*

I enjoyed the story and characters. I definitely think the setting was incomplete, but Bioware has been using IP's for years and it's not easy to develop your own universe, particularly in a short time. Dragon Age has had a lot more development time, so I'm hoping the universe will be more fleshed out.

So bashing Bioware sure seems to be the popular flavor this year, even before the EA buyout. What's the deal?

Because saying you dislike aspects of one product = bashing.

Edited by Tale

I think it is a little too early to say what it is. If it is a KotOR-MMO, how many people will that really effect? Not me in the slightest, that is for sure. Bioware will do what Bioware will do, regardless what the fans want or say. If you don't like something of theirs, don't buy it. If you are fed up in how they make games, don't buy them. If you are all hunky dory about Bioware, buy their games. Make a statement with your wallet. All this speculation one way or another is useless.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

All this speculation one way or another is useless.

I agree with Hades. I think we all should quit posting in this thread forever!

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

:*

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

There's already a "KotOR III: The MMORPG"-rumorthread at KotOR subforums, but to put the content aside, don't try to overanalyze pressreleases people. They are usually written without any substance to fall back to, the only rule is that you should not lie....too much.

But it is not unlikely that some genius back at Lucasarts discovered that their focus-groups complained about the lack of MP and co-op (=pod-people who once thought that Vanilla Ice was edgy and cool) were the sole dissapointments of the series and got the idea of "KotOR + MP = MMO" means double, no wait, tripple amount of sales.

And what are Bioware(EA), who sweared highly and mighty to never touch other IP's again, going to say about it? Not much really.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This doesn't prove a Kotor MMO at all... it doesn't even mention anything about star wars...

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

This doesn't prove a Kotor MMO at all... it doesn't even mention anything about star wars...

As i said, don't bother with these kind of announcements. Rumors about KotOR MMO have been for a while know, and this agreement just strengthens my suspicions. Even if it was something else, i would find it unlikely that Lucasarts would approach Bioware with something that wouldn't be Star Wars. Indiana Jones? Maybe, just maybe.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'll be shocked if it's not the Kotor MMORPG. Plus, I'd really like to see Obsidian develop K3.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"One compound word: LucasArts

One other: KotoR Two

Bioware is not the Bioware from the BG era anymore. they have been sold, and now sold again. Their quality from the past can not be associated with this new entity. However, LA certainly does not a great track record when it comes to Q/A... thus IMO does not bode well."

BIO, and LA have teamed up before, and their partnership did rather well. It's too early in the purchase for EA to make any major changes to BIO's business practices. BIO's quality for their agmes has ONLY gotten better as the years pass by. Espicially role-playing wise.

P.S. JE > most BIO games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I prefer Jade Empire over KotOR and NWN1, but beyond those two every other Bioware game that I have played has been better. Even MDK.

How is that irony? You like something, buy it. You don't like something, don't buy it.

Irony Bonus x3 :p

:p

Bioware has two strikes against it now for this game. 1) They are part of EA. I don't buy EA games, either developed internally or published. 2) Its a MMO. The only MMO I got into was Guild Wars, mostly for the no monthly fees. When I buy a game I shouldn't have to pay to play it afterwards.

2) Its a MMO. The only MMO I got into was Guild Wars, mostly for the no monthly fees. When I buy a game I shouldn't have to pay to play it afterwards.

You speak that like it's fact. It's loose speculation based upon two things:

1) Bioware has an MMO studio.

2) They want to play a new MMO.

Neither of which is decisive evidence. Neither of which makes the rumor significantly above baseless.

Edited by Tale

I doubt I will touch another KOTOR series moulded from Bioware's hands again after playing KOTOR2 as I am now reaffirmed(After KOTOR2 and MotB), that Obsidian's manner of telling an RPG story is much more fitting to my taste.

As for MMO, good news for those who had been waiting for it for years I guess.

I doubt I will touch another KOTOR series moulded from Bioware's hands again after playing KOTOR2 as I am now reaffirmed(After KOTOR2 and MotB), that Obsidian's manner of telling an RPG story is much more fitting to my taste.

In general I might be inclined to agree with you. Obsidian at least attempts stranger, more cerebral games. But when Bioware's on (and who knows, they might not be on anymore, although I'm not as quick to dismiss them as most people, it seems) they make merely above-average games that are propulsive and fairly engaging (JE was a sad exception) and I'm no Codex academic, so a fairly inauspicious-in-the-grand-scheme-of-things game like KOTOR can still be fun for me.

Let's face it, the market for western RPGs (not counting hack-n-slash and MMOs) is pretty scant, and as far as I'm concerned beggars can't be choosy. I've no problem shunning companies like Lionhead for making inexorably bad games, but only accepting the "stunningly progressive" games at this point and rejecting softened releases from the still-not-totally-bad Bioware would leave me starving, metaphorically. That's not something that I can do. That's not to say that Bioware isn't losing its edge, it's just saying I'm not a masochist. Quite frankly, reducing myself to waiting around for Obsidian's next product isn't a great idea, because I've no guarantee that even a few years wait is going to be worth it. I don't want to become NMA, waiting for games that are never going to be made, having standards that are never going to be met. That's no better than swearing off games forever, and games are too much of a part of me that I could actually consider that.

Edited by Pop