fallout 3

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

This bit doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

How I understood it, was that "action points" are just label given to points you can use for targeted shots in paused time, sort of like mana.

How that is in any way sensible, is beyond me.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

How I understood it, was that "action points" are just label given to points you can use for targeted shots in paused time, sort of like mana.

Also, what's the point of having Action Points if you can still perform all of your actions even when you've used up all said APs?

How that is in any way sensible, is beyond me.

You're just being a fanboy living in the past. You have to trust Bethesda, it's going to be cool :thumbsup:

I think the guy quoted just wrote it badly. I would suspect the system is somewhat akin to the continous turn based system in FO:T. Ie AP recharge and once you have enough for an action you can execute it, you don't have to wait until it's completely recharged.

All in all, it sounds fairly good. The first person viewpoint and real time combat was to be expected (although I suppose the pause is a nice addition for those who want it). The rest is pretty good news. I especially like that most XP will come from quests.

Of course, the main question is still whether or not Bethesda can deliver when it comes to the writing.

Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

Not sure how well that would work in Oblivion engine.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This is in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

Sounds awesome.

Generally everything in there except the combat system, which paragraph I just don't understand, looks great or alright. I mean, they would, of course, being random bullet points, but still. And everybody surely expected the beginning-picktraits-thing that Bethesda does. Don't think it'll matter too much, though wonder what Vault Hospital means. A GECK-made Hospital? You start inside a vault? (In Timeline does that make a whole lot of sense?)

Generally everything in there except the combat system, which paragraph I just don't understand, looks great or alright. I mean, they would, of course, being random bullet points, but still. And everybody surely expected the beginning-picktraits-thing that Bethesda does. Don't think it'll matter too much, though wonder what Vault Hospital means. A GECK-made Hospital? You start inside a vault? (In Timeline does that make a whole lot of sense?)

I would assume by Vault Hospital they mean something like the medical room that was present on the ground floor of the vaults in the earlier games.

Edited by Deraldin

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

You get to have a free attack that does less damage and special attacks which use action points..

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You get to have a free attack that does less damage and special attacks which use action points..

That sounds a bit odd, and it can easily fail as well. But i want to see that in motion until i can throw a better judgement.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't particularly like how combat sounds. It sounds unnecessarily complicated when the old system would have worked just as good if not better. Aside from that it still sounds pretty iffy. One good thing is that they took out level scaling, but a level 20 cap?!?!? What is this? DnD?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

NMA has scans up. The green text squares that are on almost every page are an account of a quest (and I believe some of the beginning of the game). The combat will make more sense when you read it yourself.

Edited by Vic

Huh, looks kinda interesting.

*reads a bit of the NMA thread*

*claws eyes out*

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

NMA has scans up. The green text squares that are on almost every page are an account of a quest (and I believe some of the beginning of the game). The combat will make more sense when you read it yourself.

This might actually turn out to be rather good... even falloutish. :teehee:

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Half the pics ain't in-game but some look to be, or close to, and they look very, very nice. Not perfect, but it looks pretty fun. I still don't really understand why VATS lets you do all that, but at least their direction is away from twitch play, or so they say. As far as hype and preview info goes, this is all very exciting.

Oh, and level 20 cap... *shrug* realistically it won't matter too much.

:) Nice orcs

And WTF is handheld nuclear catapult?

I wan't my Van Buren :/

This isn't exactly unorcish you know

Handheld nuclear catapult... Not anything more stupid than half of Fallout's weapons

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Half the pics ain't in-game but some look to be, or close to, and they look very, very nice.

With an exception of the concept art, all the of screens are clearly in-game. Unless you mean in-game as someone playing it with a visual UI, then nevermind.

And on that note, I like what they did with the Pip-Boy.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=87

Just a link to the scanned pictures of Game Informer. I read through it all and I must admit that I like what I am reading. It sounds like turn-bsed combat in first (or third) person perspective! Talk about a weird hybrid! I hope they pull it off.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The combat actually sounds a bit like Mass Effect, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Sounds like **** to me.

* Falllouts retro future look has been replaced with a generic photorealism.

* Super Mutants look like Uruk-Hai(or something from Hellgate London) and wield warhammers, jumpsuits have been replaced with normal clothes

* Fallouts creative death sequences have been replaced with exploding body parts in matrix style slow motion

* FPS combat as predicted with a mana system that has been labelled as "action points"

* Instead of simulating a hunger/thirst cycle, food/water will function like healing potions

* BOS on the east coast? Hand held nuclear cannons? Cars with nuclear reactors in them that no one had the common sense to salvage? Sounds like the setting is being completely raped.

* Sewer/underground systems filled with super mutants AKA lots of dungeons

I think the guy quoted just wrote it badly. I would suspect the system is somewhat akin to the continous turn based system in FO:T. Ie AP recharge and once you have enough for an action you can execute it, you don't have to wait until it's completely recharged.

That isnt what it says. Basically the combat will be real time just like any FPS, except you have action points (AKA mana) which you can use for special attacks like called shots once theyve been recharged. Even if your points have been used up combat will proceed as normal (AKA FPS style)

Edited by roshan