fallout 3

Not more than most everyone else.

My comment was more to draw out what you consider a "tr00 RPG".

A game that encourages actual... gasp, roleplaying. Considering the majority of SquareEnix RPGs give you a character with a pre-defined personality that plays his personality out for you, they don't qualify. Bethesda games don't give you the opportunity to express a characters personality unless that personality is exclusively a loner who likes to kill skeletons all day long.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Weeeeeeeelllllllllllll, one could argue that acting a specific role could be deemed role-playing, but I understand your point.

Of course this isn't as funny as my original super-joke comparing your needs with a certain other member's ... :shifty:"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Weeeeeeeelllllllllllll, one could argue that acting a specific role could be deemed role-playing, but I understand your point.

Of course this isn't as funny as my original super-joke comparing your needs with a certain other member's ... :shifty:"

Anyone who argues that point is classifying every game in existence as a role playing game. Which results in the Japanese misdefinition where they even think Metal Gear Solid is an RPG (the game even says so in the latter part of 2).

This isn't my "needs." I'm firmly enjoy many SquareEnix JRPGs and Morrowind. My interest in what I'm putting forth is for the matters of classification and communication. It gets a little silly when everything that features a character growth mechanic is automatically labeled an RPG. People start thinking that because they enjoyed Diablo, they'll automatically enjoy Final Fantasy or vice versa because supposedly they're the same genre.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

ah, btw Gorth (and anyone who is interested) i have a new version ready of that too:

obsidianisle2sc4.png

i think this style looks nicer then the one i used before

EDIT: and here is a totally new one, had inspiration for it :ermm:

obsidianisle3fn5.png

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

That latter one looks cool. Although the original works better as a gag.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

That latter one looks cool. Although the original works better as a gag.

yeah, but i guess I overdid that one with the lights :ermm:

EDIT:

ahh...

the original is that in Gorth's sig, but i guess you talk about the one on the top of this page, right?

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

original in Gorth's sig.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Black Isle has been gone since 2003. Black Isle doesn't exist anymore to create games.

I mean mainly the original developers!

You do realize that of all the people that worked on Fallout, not very many are working at Obsidian. As far as I know, the only one who is is Feargus. Among those not working at Obsidian are the lead designer, lead programmer and lead artist.

Black Isle has been gone since 2003. Black Isle doesn't exist anymore to create games.

I mean mainly the original developers!

You do realize that of all the people that worked on Fallout, not very many are working at Obsidian. As far as I know, the only one who is is Feargus. Among those not working at Obsidian are the lead designer, lead programmer and lead artist.

wow! you forgot about Sawyer, Monahan, Chris Avellone, Chris Jones and the others??

also don't forget that when Troika died some from there joined Obsidian too (like Chris)

EDIT:

ah forget Chris, he left the sinking ship in time :thumbsup:

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

Hek, haven't all of them (expect Cain who is rumored to be working with that developer with Guild Wars?) left gaming word behind? At least Boyarski has

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Hek, haven't all of them (expect Cain who is rumored to be working with that developer with Guild Wars?) left gaming word behind? At least Boyarski has

I'm pretty sure Boyarski is working at Blizzard.

Last credit Mobygames gives him is Bloodlines

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Cain and Boyarsky are supposedly still in the industry last I heard - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/77/13 - "Boyarsky works in the industry, but wouldn't say where on record".

Jason Anderson moved to Phoenix with his wife and works in real estate now.

No rumours on where Boyarsky works at, but Cain is rumoured to be working at NCSoft.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

According to GameDaily, F3 will indeed use SPECIAL (this has been known for some time already) and, more interestingly / troubling, characters from the first 2 games will make appearances in F3, which I must say, makes no goddamn sense. Travelling on foot in a radiated wasteland full of danger was difficult enough just within Southern California. How the hell would they make it to DC? How would this fit into any coherent timeline? The obvious possibilities would be Harold and maybe Marcus. If Harold is indeed "special" as MCA suggests, they could reasonably put him in the game, as he could be immortal or just insanely, insanely lucky.

It's getting a bit annoying looking over DAC for news updates and seeing a gripe about how they're not in the loop every post. You lay in the bed you make, boys.

Edited by Pop

I believe he's referring to the original game. We've got boatloads of people from Fallout 2, but the big three (Cain, Boyarski, Alexander[?]) are not present.

Actually, the big three in regards to Fallout 1 is Cain, Boyarski and Chris Taylor (ie lead programmer, art director and lead designer). Maybe Chris Jones as well, since he is co-lead programmer with Cain, although not credit with original game design, so probably not. Cain and Boyarski always seem to be getting the main credit for the game, but Chris Taylor was the frakking lead designer and is typically forgotten.

(this is only from the game credits, I have no insight to the actual design process)

GI's F3 info from NeoGAF

The article is based on an hour long demo GI was given. I'll list the high points

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older you'll take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This is in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

- XP based system, most XP comes from quests

- Level cap is 20

- 9 - 12 possible endings based on your actions in the game

- No level scaling like oblivion, you walk into a high level area, you die horribly.

- There are NPC's you can hire, but this is not a party based game.

I like how this is a quote of another forum that quotes another forum.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.