fallout 3

Well everything I saw was part of the cinematic sequence. I would never deign to say that it was an in-game screenshot, ever. It might be in the game, per se, but it is not a gameplaying sequence and, anyone who's had to watch the cool sequences of say, Mechwarrior III, IV, NWN/2 and others, where the opening sequences were always great to watch (a few times at least) and then play the game knows what I am talking about here.

Uh, no... The graphics are only slightly better than Oblivion (which was an early 06 game, and was impressive for it's time) and it's going to come out at the end of 2008, that's a year and a half away. And this is coming from a studio that always had cutting edge tech when they're game is released. While the art direction looks superb, the actual graphics aren't anything all that special now, and won't be especially when it's released. If anything, it's going to look better, not worse later.

Go look at something like Crysis or Mass Effect, then look at Fallout 3. It's not even close to CG...

And as far as in-game with the UI included, you have two clear gameplay shots with the complete UI. The battle shot, and the Pip-Boy 3000 shot. The rest are taken from gameplay away from the player to show wider view of the gameplay scene.

Sorry to disagree though I am not sure you get what I actually meant and so I will attempt to reiterate it a little differently and also add the caveat that I only looked at two of the shots (they are little on my laptop screen and I am not all that jazzed about the game at the moment, so I could easily miss something.) My point was that I think the way the art was done was purposeful to mimic the "look and feel" of the originals, at least in the cinematic sequence. Cinematic sequence does not necessarily infer CG quality, it inferes a movie like sequence (hence cinematic of or like being a piece of cinema or a movie picture...) where the gamer and the game do not necessarily meet with the same loving attention.

Actual gameplay rarely, in my experience, is reflected in the cinematic sequences used to hype the story and the game itself, though are not actually shown as gameplay that a gamer would get when playing. This is what I was referring to. I guess now I'll have to go back and look again to see what you're referring to. I am replying now to make sure that I am being clearly understood in what I said I would hope the current level of graphics ability could portray to make it seem like a clear successor to the original series. I didn't mean to imply that the graphics had to look like it in terms of actual quality, though in atmosphere. That's all. I have no idea how much better, graphically, the new game will look. It is just my hope that they capture the "look and feel" of the original game's atmosphere.

If I wasn't misunderstood the first time, then I truly apologize for my little exposition here and bid you chalk it up to being a bit more tired than usual at the moment.

regards,

dunniteowl

In all seriousness lies all lies, half truths, death, misery and the great suffering of the worlds. Embrace your seriousness, then poke it in the eye, push it down and give it a good swift kick. And in all seriousness, if you take me seriously, you're going to definitely regret it. 'Cause I'm just kidding, baby, yeah!

I would just like to add after reading the article in question sideways sort of, that I stand corrected and from here on out, I will not say that I wouldn't say those aren't in-game shots. As to grapic technical excellence, I still disagree, they look great and just because they don't push the envelope of polygons and voxels doesn't mean they won't knock your socks off when viewing them in while playing. I read a little tid bit about depth of field focus that caught my eye. I am not going to worry about the Fat-Man nuclear catapult as an issue, or nuclear powered engines in cars -- it's 80 years after a war in 2077, meaning it's already 2157 or later if I am reading correctly. It could happen!

I am now officially excited and looking forward to getting it a few months after release. (I'm not going to buy even a Bethesda game before it gets a chance to be reviewed after release,) I have made that a pretty common practice since about 1987 when I bought my first computer. So, until something more comes out, I am just going to wait for my own Father's Day gift of the DVD Collection of FO, FO2 and FOT:BoS to arrive and play it between bouts of playing with NWN2's toolset, learning 3DS Max 9 and caring for my daughter during her leukemia treatments. (I give you one guess which is the most important one...)

In any case, I hope that Bethesda (one of the few game development companies that can afford to take the time to do it to their satisfaction in these times) will do justice to the games that made me wish I had the extra cash when they came out. (I was busy with divorce, custody and bankruptcy among other things, the games hadda take a back seat, don'tcha know?)

Thanks for pointing out the in-game use of screenshots Vic. It made me go back and actually read the article.

regards,

dunniteowl

In all seriousness lies all lies, half truths, death, misery and the great suffering of the worlds. Embrace your seriousness, then poke it in the eye, push it down and give it a good swift kick. And in all seriousness, if you take me seriously, you're going to definitely regret it. 'Cause I'm just kidding, baby, yeah!

As I read it, Fallout 3 takes place 200 years after the bombs dropped, which puts it roughly 40 years after Fallout 2. This makes the implied abundance of super mutants halfway across the country rather preposterous given the facts in the other Fallouts (even if they are the remnants of the Master's army, they aren't immortal, and most should logically be dead after 120 years of wandering).

And also, because my computer is somewhat dated in the processor department, it's heartening to know that it's definitely coming to the 360.

Edited by Pop

But then, this takes place in D.C., and what with the conditions after the apocalypse, it is possible that there is still little to no contact between such far-flung areas, and completely different stories are/were taking place from similar conditions. i.e. the mutants in the East Coast need not be the same as the West Coast; or different technologies or conditions might have ensured 'breeding' mutants or some other situation in which they still exist. Probably still a ploy to have them still in the game, but you can see that if it was laid out properly and well-integrated, it wouldn't be completely weird - come on, we had talking deathclaws and aliens.

What was weird for Fallouts 1 to Tactics, was that there were actually no "regular" mutants as enemies. In the wasteland, I'd expect anyone to have their share of malformeties, however small, but there were no harshly mutated beings portrayed besides the remnants of the Master's army, which I found kind of weird. I hope F3 does have your normal scraggly morlochian mutants.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

What was weird for Fallouts 1 to Tactics, was that there were actually no "regular" mutants as enemies. In the wasteland, I'd expect anyone to have their share of malformeties, however small, but there were no harshly mutated beings portrayed besides the remnants of the Master's army, which I found kind of weird. I hope F3 does have your normal scraggly morlochian mutants.

Wouldn't the Ghouls qualify for the job?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I thought about that, but the design was more inspired by Romero's radiation zombies. Just walking corpses, really.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The thing I hate too is how the camera view choice is likely the result of being designed for console first and PC second. A birds eye view click to move type system would suck on consoles, so we have to suffer because of it.

I don't know why anyone would have thought Bethesda were going to use a click-to-move system, or why a birds-eye view necessitates it. Games like Crusader and Alien Shooter use directional key controls.

I hope this game has as much success as FOPOS enjoyed.

Lookslike I was right about this game being a worthless POS Oblivion with Guns. I still like to know why the hell did Bethesda had to go about and ruin Fallout even moreso than what Interplay did. If they wanted to rewrite the rules system and interface that it is totally unrecognizable to the originals they should have made their own original IP instead of this crap. Seriously, is Bethesda that brain dead that they can't come up with original games any more?

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I hope this game has as much success as FOPOS enjoyed.

Lookslike I was right about this game being a worthless POS Oblivion with Guns. I still like to know why the hell did Bethesda had to go about and ruin Fallout even moreso than what Interplay did. If they wanted to rewrite the rules system and interface that it is totally unrecognizable to the originals they should have made their own original IP instead of this crap. Seriously, is Bethesda that brain dead that they can't come up with original games any more?

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

Wait I have more.

HAHAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAAAHAHAHA

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I am so happy to entertain you. :-

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I think I'll but three copies. :o

Sounds like a tight fit. :blink:

HA! :o

Weapons degrade with use....mother fxcker.... :o

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I like equipment degradation. It gives you reasons to keep other equipment around and switch things up occasionally. It also provides you with motivation to a) learn repair/craft skills b) re-visit certain areas (like trade hubs) and c) use resources like $$/gold/bottlecaps and any "building materials" a game may provide.

I also like the idea of some weapons being differentiated as "fragile" or "beefy". High tech weapons might degrade quickly while the venerable AK-47s of the world can go the distance. If melee weapons are/were particularly durable, people might be more motivated to keep them around and use them when possible.

I like equipment degradation. On conditions:

1) No special one-time weapons.

2) If 1, I can repair them completely.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Being able to repair an item completely could be dependent on your repair/craft skill, and materials available. It's not necessarily a bad thing if this were the case.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The thing I hate too is how the camera view choice is likely the result of being designed for console first and PC second. A birds eye view click to move type system would suck on consoles, so we have to suffer because of it.

I don't know why anyone would have thought Bethesda were going to use a click-to-move system, or why a birds-eye view necessitates it. Games like Crusader and Alien Shooter use directional key controls.

I just prefer click-to-move over directional keys, and figured since fallout 1 and 2, and hell even fallout: tactics had it, they just might try to stay true to the predecessors. No idea why I would have had hope they would stay true to the predecessors.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg