New Fallout 3 Picture

The image is beautiful in its own morbid way.

Washington D.C. after another Republican presidential celebration party...

fixed :)

EDIT: i don't know much about both US partys, i just don't like Judge Hades making a political debate or a disaster or both of anything

Republicans? They are way too conservative to have a wild party that would ransack the capital.

Come on now. Republicans are the PC while the Democrats are the Mac.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The image is beautiful in its own morbid way.

Washington D.C. after another Republican presidential celebration party...

fixed :)

EDIT: i don't know much about both US partys, i just don't like Judge Hades making a political debate or a disaster or both of anything

Republicans? They are way too conservative to have a wild party that would ransack the capital.

Come on now. Republicans are the PC while the Democrats are the Mac.

Are you saying that Republicans are well rounded between productivity and leisure while Democrats posture, make false claims, and ultimately do nothing of use?

I had no idea you had such a poor opinion of Democrats.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Well, if you put it that way... I guess there is no real difference between the Republicans and Democrats. :brows:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Well, I'm not going to be looking with high hopes at Bethesda for Fallout 3. Looking at what they did with the Star Trek License, they about murdered that thing. There WERE some good games they could have built off of for their new games such as Bridge Commander, or the Star Fleet Command Series, but instead they had to come up with their own ships and own ideas...which led to some pretty bad games.

One of the problems was that they released games that had nothing unlocked unless you played through the game starting in the hated Enterprise era (so for TNG or TOS lovers like me...we couldn't even play a single ship from that era in skirmish or otherwise on the console versions of some of their games). Add to that some really hard scenarios, and some really foolish reasoning on how to solve some of the puzzles...and some rather poor gameplay, and the HUGE opportunity they had with Star Trek was wasted. Completely.

After seeing what they did with that opportunity and how they completely tossed it to the wind I'm not holding on to any great hopes for FO3.

On the bright side, if it IS good, I can be pleasantly surprised. (seeing I'm not one they really have to worry about anyways, at least one sale is probably locked in for me since I'll at least try it).

Published... Developed... Either way they are responsible for the game.

Bethesday has never developed a Star Trek game. They published one, but that's not anywhere near the same thing.

Okay...my bad...approved of what was being put out because they had guys talking to the people developing it and looking at it the entire way through and dictating some of what they would and would not have in the game...and then published it.

So you're right, they didn't develop it but they sure had a lot of weight on what and how it was made.

Mad Doc made Legacy, the best of the bunch at least on X-box but forced to put it out in a condition they weren't really wanting to put it out by...take a wild guess on which publisher (actually you don't have to have a wild guess it was Bethesda that forced it out when they did), Quicksilver made Tactical Assault, and some strange company made Encounters.

Bethesda really lost a lot of respect on how they handled some of the things on their side...and yes, they forced some items out the door with things that the developers didn't want, it was done because Bethesda said so.

I think Legacy was the one that made the most of the PC ST gamers mad however, since Mad Doc didn't get the chance to finish (to be fair: of course I believe Bethesda's side is in relation to their budgetary concerns in relation to the game overall or that's how it sounded) with all they had or wanted from what I understand.

Nevertheless, in summary, Bethesda had some great games on their own...but have botched enough recently to make me keep my expectations low. Can't be too disappointed if I don't expect that much, and seeing their results from the ST franchise, I have really low expectations for FO3.

Edited by greylord

So, what is it, you hate Legacy because of Mad Doc and

One of the problems was that they released games that had nothing unlocked unless you played through the game starting in the hated Enterprise era (so for TNG or TOS lovers like me...we couldn't even play a single ship from that era in skirmish or otherwise on the console versions of some of their games). Add to that some really hard scenarios, and some really foolish reasoning on how to solve some of the puzzles...and some rather poor gameplay, and the HUGE opportunity they had with Star Trek was wasted. Completely.

Or you hate Legacy because of Bethesda rushing Mad Doc?

The things you cited in the previous post are largely the result of development decisions, not because of rushing.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If you haven't been following this, you can see some ongoing Q&A with some of the FO3 developers and the forumers at the FO3 forums. Of course, they can't talk about the game yet, but it gives an idea of what they're like. Two of the more prominently posting quest/world designers in those threads (or maybe they're only ones posting?) seem particularly witty and intelligent.

They have multiple threads full of discussion:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=692451

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=691464

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=689065

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=687945

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=693873

Edited by Vic

I forgot to add, a lot of people seem to think Neeson's character will only have a couple lines like Stewart, but the press release says he:

will appear prominently throughout the game.

So maybe a full fledged NPC or have an Overseer type role.

Edited by Vic

Well, it's amazing how much productive contribution DR stuffs into one line.

Anyway, skimmed a bit, and most of it is really introduction stuff for the devs - which is all you can expect for now.

Of course, part of the reason some people here are all too happy to villify Bethesda is because the only deve they really get to hear from is Todd Howard. :aiee:

I got to say, the dev comments are somewhat reassuring. Of course it doesn't mean anything, but hearing the lead producer talk about his low of the original games at least gives a glimmer of hope. Or the artist that mentioned (among other things) 50s pictures as inspiration for her work in Fallout 3.

It may not mean anything in the end of course, but at least we know there are fans of the originals working on the new one (nad in a position of power).

If you haven't been following this, you can see some ongoing Q&A with some of the FO3 developers and the forumers at the FO3 forums. Of course, they can't talk about the game yet, but it gives an idea of what they're like. Two of the more prominently posting quest/world designers in those threads (or maybe they're only ones posting?) seem particularly witty and intelligent.

They have multiple threads full of discussion:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=692451

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=691464

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=689065

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=687945

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=693873

Great, thanks. :aiee:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It may not mean anything in the end of course, but at least we know there are fans of the originals working on the new one (nad in a position of power).

You also have Emil, a former Looking Glass guy as the Lead Designer. He has the most creative control over the project second only to Howard.

Who is Looking Glass?

FPV games, eh? Never played Thief or System Shock.

Emil was a level designer, right? Wouldn't putting him in charge be like getting an electrician to write a novel?

*edit - Actually, that analogy makes no sense. What I meant to say is, wouldn't putting him in charge be like hiring a makeup artist to direct a movie?

Edited by Pop

Who is Looking Glass?

Looking Glass. Most notable around here for having developed System Shock and Thief. :)

Don't forget Ultima Underworld.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Emil was a level designer, right? Wouldn't putting him in charge be like getting an electrician to write a novel?

*edit - Actually, that analogy makes no sense. What I meant to say is, wouldn't putting him in charge be like hiring a makeup artist to direct a movie?

At Looking Glass he was a level designer, which I believe included writing as well (it sounded like he had a hand in some of the whole story, not just his levels, but I could be wrong). In Oblivion he designed all of the Dark Brotherhood questlines, which included writing and quest/NPC/level design etc. I believe he also worked on the stealth system of the game, which was a pretty big step up from Morrowind's stealth.

So no, it wouldn't be like putting a makeup artist on directing, it would be like putting someone who's directed smaller films to direct a large film. A Lead Designer is just a large step up.

Schindler? Man, I love Schindler. How'd Beth wangle this I wonder. I bet huge quantities of moneys were involved. Still, he's been rather typecast of late, as the parental guidance. I think we'd all love a father like Neeson however.