S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadow of Chernobyl (impressions video inside)

Lare Kikkeli

So is it better to not install any patches at all or install them and go the mod route?

Equipment degredation isn't as bad as it sounds. Install them and play it that way for a while.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Maybe. I think it has more to do with it's post apocalyptic roots (things break) and an attempt to create a valid barter system (which still kinda fails).

If you haven't played the game at all then armor degradation will probably not bug you as much as it did me. I've always said that if it was implemented from the start I may have felt differently about it (although still not positive since I dislike the concept in general).

I didn't think it was worth changing until the latest patch was released (since the first one invalidated savegames), but the latest patch fixed one of the most annoying things with the original release - the lack of five-button mouse support - so with that it's definitely worth patching. Armor degradation be damned.

(edit: and while I do think that it's a bigger issue than Tale seems to do, I must add that for the record I haven't modded it away or anything)

Edited by Spider

When you turn on the really impressive real time lighting, the performance goes to ****. Otherwise it's fine.

The performance is so bad just from the second lighting option, my guy doesn't know whether to sit or just ****in' explode already. The game looks so much different between the static lighting and object dynamic lighting that I can't even imagine what it must be like at the highest setting.

For some reason I just can't get into the right frame of mind to play this game. I've opened it up about a dozen times and have only stayed in long enough to complete one quest. I guess the shooting aspect just leaves a lot to be desired at this point. My first great experience was wasting 80 bullets of my pistol on a single enemy and then just saying "screw it", pulling out the shotgun and sprinting from tree to tree to blast this **** point-blank.

Oblivian with guns does seem about right. Though of course, I haven't given it a fair shake yet. I just hope the battles become a bit more exciting.

For some reason I just can't get into the right frame of mind to play this game. I've opened it up about a dozen times and have only stayed in long enough to complete one quest. I guess the shooting aspect just leaves a lot to be desired at this point. My first great experience was wasting 80 bullets of my pistol on a single enemy and then just saying "screw it", pulling out the shotgun and sprinting from tree to tree to blast this **** point-blank.

Oblivian with guns does seem about right. Though of course, I haven't given it a fair shake yet. I just hope the battles become a bit more exciting.

It's hard.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It gets a little bit easier. The beginning part where you only have wildly inaccurate weapons is part of the charm. Once you get to automatics you're set.

I'm playing using Kaftan's mod, but it seems that armor still degrades. I don't know if that's intentional.

Even the starting pistols are reasonably effective out to about 30 yards. Just lean out from behind cover and fire a lot of bullets. If you have 200-300 rounds of the 9*18 ammo just open fire from the cover of the nearby building. It takes a bit, but its a pretty easy way to get an aksu and some ammo.

I usually leave the soldiers alone though, since they keep the number of bandits in the area down for a while. Eventually the bandits will wipe them out, then I go loot the soldiers bodies for their weapons and ammo.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I once saw a movie about Black Fungi from Mars.

At the beginning of the twentieth century, radiation was regarded as a super-good thing. In fact, low level exposure has been seen to improve the heath of people (numerous radioactive caves and pools are used for medicinal purposes), e.g. modern day Iran has the highest background radiation, and the people are unusually resistant to cancers. It is hypothesised that the radiation triggers cells in the body/blood that actively seek out dangerous stuff, like pre-cancerous cells.

Large doses of radiation just destroy the cells, though.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 1 month later...

New STALKER game in 2008: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167570

A little odd. Sounds like sort of a cross between an expansion and a new game. a prequel with 50% of it occurring in the same space as S:SoC and 50% in new territory.

ANyway, its nice to have a game o actually look forward to. :cat:

Yay!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That's great news, alright!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

New STALKER game in 2008: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167570

A little odd. Sounds like sort of a cross between an expansion and a new game. a prequel with 50% of it occurring in the same space as S:SoC and 50% in new territory.

ANyway, its nice to have a game o actually look forward to. :o

A new STALKER on the way, and I've not even bothered to complete the Original. Not because it's bad, but I could never reach my next destination due to silly fences or hills. So I got stuck in the bar and drank a bottle Vodka...or 7. :bat: