S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadow of Chernobyl (impressions video inside)

Lare Kikkeli

I really shouldn't have played the game so thoroughly the first time. The second time feels a bit.. boring since I've already seen and done most of everything the game had to offer. The only things new are some purple treasures that I hadn't seen before. But I haven't even been able to find a new weapon! There can be like max 20 different weapons in this game. I wish they were modifiable at least. Some weapons can have a silencer, some can have a scope and some can have a grenade launcher mounted on them, but there's not nearly enough variety to make old weapons feel interesting again.

And I might be stupid or something but I haven't found any unique equipment in the entire game! Sure, there's a Storming Obokan, some weapons that have had their ammunition changed and stuff like that. But there doesn't seem to be any named one-of-a-kind weapons or armours anywhere. Boring!

Still a good game, but it really lacks replayability.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What a gyp. I got the "want to be rich" ending also. ...But that wasn't my motivating factor in the least. I mean, they should have given us at least a few choices at the end, because that was not at all the motivation for any of my actions throughout the game. I saw myself as trying to find the answer to a mystery or maybe looking for a way to shut down the zone.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You can get that kind of ending if you actually pursue the mystery of your past.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I was thinking that. I found the documents and some sort of electrogizmo for opening a specific door. I should play again and go for that story arc. It seems almost certain to me that I am

Strelok

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I was thinking that. I found the documents and some sort of electrogizmo for opening a specific door. I should play again and go for that story arc. It seems almost certain to me that I am

Strelok

You didn't figure that out already before you got that stuff?

I thought as much, but I was all for keeping an open mind until I got the stuff. Frankly, much earlier we get a cut scene where

the old doctor literally calls you Strelok

I was hoping I was wrong, although it worked well so I didn't mind it. Nevertheless, I kept thinking that maybe I was wrong.

Obsidian Plays

well, after some 100 hours plus (probably close to 200 hours) of flawless playtime, the game has suddenly decided that it doesn't want to run anymore. Not a single crash in all that time and now I can't go more than 1 minute or so without some kind of crash. I even started a new game and boom instant crash. And I didn't change a single thing on my computer! Not one. I never even got to finish the damn game. ;)

flurgh.

I think I'll go play Fallout instead.

edit: Although I do have the automatic updatery thing for Windows turned on and it installed some doo-dads from MS last night. Maybe that is th eproblem. Maybe not. WHo knows woohoo computers! Gotta love them. Where's my !@$# XBOX, gdamnit?

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Reinstall the game, CrashGirl.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the last part of the game. I did my run without reloading unless I got the chop, wich happened rarely on Stalker level. I was actually quite sloppy. For instance, I would loot bodies even though folks were shooting at me and then have to use bandages and med-kits. Even so, I had a decent number of bandages and med-kits until I got past that area with the long winding trail full of Monolith scum. Anyhow, in the city, my bandages ran out. I don't know if this is normal, but almost every wound I received resulted in a bleeding wound that required a bandage. I mean, virtually every time. I would take hardly any damage at all and STILL need to bandage. If I fell off the last few feet off stairs, I had a bleeder. Well, when I reliazed that my bandages were gone, I despaired. SO, I went on a bandage and med-kit run. I went back to the Freedom hold, killing folks along the way. Luckily for me, the Duty and Freedom people were fighting each other, which was great, since I could loot their bodies also. When I had over 80 bandages, I went back and finished with no problems.

Obsidian Plays

Frig that. I uninstalled it, but I ain't churning through another 200 hours any time soon. Going to play Fallout and farm some Baby Deathclaws. Level 21 here I come.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

And so it was that she retreated to her comfort zone.

I'm sure I'll play it again; I was having a tremendous amount of fun when the game wiped out on me. Disappointing, but what can you do. I'll wait for the next couple patches, then give it another go.

It is an awesome game.

Although I do have the automatic updatery thing for Windows turned on and it installed some doo-dads from MS last night. Maybe that is th eproblem. Maybe not. WHo knows woohoo computers! Gotta love them. Where's my !@$# XBOX, gdamnit?

Yes, that is the problem.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Valve has confirmed that it picked up some textures from Marlin for HL2, and separate sources have discovered that the IMP_Light texture that it was thought could have been pilfered from Doom 3 was, in fact, just a standard Impact Light texture, rather than referring to the Doom 3 monster.

:) Internet drama based on incomplete information, innuendo and rumour. :*

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm sure I'll play it again; I was having a tremendous amount of fun when the game wiped out on me. Disappointing, but what can you do. I'll wait for the next couple patches, then give it another go.

It is an awesome game.

Don't take it personal, I'm mostly jesting. :)

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

It is an awesome game.

Don't take it personal, I'm mostly jesting. :p

I don't. :)

Can anyone tell me where exactly to find the Bulldog GReande launcher for the Duty boys? I kind of blew the whole freedom base away before I got that mission so I cant do it the proper way.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

In the building where you kill the Freedom leader there is a cage. Break the lock on the cage and get to looting.

Edited by Tale

Crashgrl im pretty sure you can unistall without deleting your progress. At least most of the games I've played when you unistall they ask if you want to delete your saved games and stuff. Could be wrong since I haven't really unistalled a game in a long time.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

About the Strelok thing:

I found guide, went back to the hideout in the tunnel and there met the doctor(I think.. it was semi-cutscene) and had the dream with the old man in the house. The man on the photo was Ghost, not Strelok.. You are Strelok but you had amnesia.

The problem is that the PDA only talks about the second dream, I expected there to be some big notice about "OMFGz0rz teh me is Strelok!!" but no. Ive only got a Task to go to Pripyat and fetch something in a hotel room

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'd already done that, Kaftan. I think I had another task at that point related to the Strelok line, but I did the main story arc instead. Not really on purpose. It was just usually hard to tell which was which. So, after heading

the hidden stash, I found some documents that I'm sure I had to take elsewhere. I ended the game with an electronic key gizmo and documents I never used.

Obsidian Plays

You can use that decoder and documents thingie if you just search thoroughly near where you got the Wishbringer ending. There's a good two hour playtime remaining after that!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 3 weeks later...

Stalker patch 1.3 released. Includes slowed respawn rates, crash fixes, etc.

http://stalker.filefront.com/

Scroll halfwayddown the page. There are several versions, including a digitlal distribution version, available so make sure you get the right one.

There are rumors of a 1.4 patch which will make a lot more AI changes and stuff; I'm waiting to see if that is actually going to happen before I start a new game.