Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

The Americanization Of Emily - "You American haters bore me to tears, Ms. Barham. I've dealt with Europeans all my life. I know all about us parvenus from the States who come over here and race around your old Cathedral towns with our cameras and Coca-cola bottles... Brawl in your pubs, paw at your women, and act like we own the world. We over-tip, we talk too loud, we think we can buy anything with a Hershey bar. I've had Germans and Italians tell me how politically ingenuous we are, and perhaps so. But we haven't managed a Hitler or a Mussolini yet. I've had Frenchmen call me a savage because I only took half an hour for lunch. Hell, Ms. Barh? - (9). am, the only reason the French take two hours for lunch is because the service in their restaurants is lousy. The most tedious lot are you British. We crass Americans didn't introduce war into your little island. This war, Ms. Barham to which we Americans are so insensitive, is the result of 2,000 years of European greed, barbarism, superstition, and stupidity. Don't blame it on our Coca-cola bottles. Europe was a growing brothel long before we came to town." - (10), Mrs. Henderson Presents (:), Murder By Death - neat ensemble cast, though I never quite laughed - (5), and Dirty Pretty Things - couldn't they filch a real Turk? From one of those Fatih Akin flicks, perhaps? It's inconsequential, of course, and only for appearance's sake (Tautou was better than I had expected)... but you got a Nigerian playing a Nigerian, a Spaniard playing a Spaniard... oh shush - (10).

The original French version? (Much better than the Hollywood remake.)

The Godfather, Part II; I think I like the first one a lot more after seeing them back-to-back again. That's despite the absolutely superb individual performances by DeNiro and Pacino, et alia. I mean, what was the point of the last scene? What a piece of tosh!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"You American haters bore me to tears, Ms. Barham. I've dealt with Europeans all my life. I know all about us parvenus from the States who come over here and race around your old Cathedral towns with our cameras and Coca-cola bottles... Brawl in your pubs, paw at your women, and act like we own the world. We over-tip, we talk too loud, we think we can buy anything with a Hershey bar. I've had Germans and Italians tell me how politically ingenuous we are, and perhaps so. But we haven't managed a Hitler or a Mussolini yet. I've had Frenchmen call me a savage because I only took half an hour for lunch. Hell, Ms. Barh? - (9). am, the only reason the French take two hours for lunch is because the service in their restaurants is lousy. The most tedious lot are you British. We crass Americans didn't introduce war into your little island. This war, Ms. Barham to which we Americans are so insensitive, is the result of 2,000 years of European greed, barbarism, superstition, and stupidity. Don't blame it on our Coca-cola bottles. Europe was a growing brothel long before we came to town."

Oh, SNAP! :dancing:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Blackballed: The Bobby Duke Story. Looking this up on the IMDB site made me glad this was a mockumentary. I enjoyed this film.

Looks like it stars that guy from the Daily Show that has his own sitcom on FOX now.

I caught the back half of Rocky III on TV the other day. Man, I love Rocky movies.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Network -

Max Schumacher: You need me. You need me badly. Because I'm your last contact with human reality. I love you. And that painful, decaying love is the only thing between you and the shrieking nothingness you live the rest of the day.

Diana Christensen: [hesitatingly] Then, don't leave me.

Max Schumacher: It's too late, Diana. There's nothing left in you that I can live with. You're one of Howard's humanoids. If I stay with you, I'll be destroyed. Like Howard Beale was destroyed. Like Laureen Hobbs was destroyed. Like everything you and the institution of television touch is destroyed. You're television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You're madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you. But not me. Not as long as I can feel pleasure, and pain... and love.

[Kisses her]

Max Schumacher: And it's a happy ending: Wayward husband comes to his senses, returns to his wife, with whom he has established a long and sustaining love. Heartless young woman left alone in her arctic desolation. Music up with a swell; final commercial. And here are a few scenes from next week's show.

[Picks up his suitcases and leaves]

- (10), Life - I dunno, man, it's kinda endearing, and the best thing Murphy did in the 90s, alongside Bowfinger, but, like, quite a few of the jokes were predictable, and not really all that funny (6), My Name Is Earl (season 2) (6), Shopgirl - Martin rarely disappoints as a screenwriter, and the film's way smarter than I expected (7), and King Of New York - the mood's fallout may be transient, but it sure is unsettling, as the direction swells to perfection, and Walken pulls a slightly demure winner; welcome to the circle, bang, bang - (10).

Edited by Baley

In A Lonely Place - It is now one of my favourite movies ever.

Laputa, Castle In The Sky

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Blade Runner (Director's Cut): I love the incidental details in this film, even moreso after reading What If Our World Is Their Heaven?. I just noticed the first time we see Deckard, sitting across from the noodle stand that he crosses through the rain to get to ... magnificent.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Bound for Glory, 1976 bio-film of Woody Guthrie. Probably David Carradine's best role - did his own singing too. I liked it. Randy Quaid has a small role.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Before Sunrise|Sunset - Maturation helps (as does a truly terrific ending), and Delpy's character still sort of a **** (like, she spends a couple of years in NYC and still persists in saying medias instead of media); the dialog feels natural (as does the film's tone - artless), and the ride home is a little staggering (great chemistry - the look on Delpy's face and her bearing as Hawke prattles his shtick... perfect) (9-10), Croupier (8), Flash Gordon - So like, after Von Sydow bites it, how come everyone's free and crunking **** up except the black people? I mean, I know it's from the 30s (the comic), but like, wasn't the only black avian person the guy from Black Adder's slave baby? The score is hilarious. - (7), and Old School - I laughed so hard I almost had the fat guy's impending coronary (Oh, God, I've just experienced Lenodom) - (10).

(Oh yeah, the scores are arbitrary representations of the visceral enjoyment I obtained from watching, well, whatever it is I watched, and not really any kind of the statement on the film's overall quality, or something.)

Edited by Baley