Anime recommendations

Zoma

What you want is Legends of the Overfiend. It makes La Blue Girl look tame.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Animeniacs heed my call!

I've seen and liked Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo . Both were awesome IMO. Can you people recommend a new anime on a similar level of quality? (and style I guess but that is not so important)

You know Ghost in the Shell, right?

up until very recent, Gromnir were convinced that all anime were some sorta Japanese mind-numbing technique meant to pacify her native population, a technique which were largely (and thankfully) unable to overcome cultural barriers... save for in the case of angst-ridden western teens who need also be in a drugged stupor for their brains to be properly prepared for anime's brain zorking effects. when we were at Cal, some o' our asian roomates were impressed/horrified by our knowledge o' classic movies and our appreciation for Kurosawa, so they offered to show us the Greatest Movie Ever Made: akira.

movie ends and our roomates look to Gromnir for some feedback...

"what is with you guys and your f*&^#@&* fascination with godzilla?"

*shrug*

+80% of anime is simply some variation of pinocchio or godzilla... on acid. and the other stuff, likes flcl, is just plain retarded... for the most part.

however, not too long ago we did see Grave of the Fireflies, and grudgingly had to admit that it were a damn fine piece o' storytelling. so we checked out some other anime, and we gotta admit that Spirited Away were an excellent bit of children's animation... better than anything we had seen from disney in years. Cowboy Bebop is the only anime series we has been able to watch in its entirety, and it actually had a handful of ok-to-pretty-good episodes (though we wanna hunt don't and beat to unconciousness the guy responsible for Samurai 7.)

so, ok, anime ain't complete crap... but most of it is.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I know what over fiend is as well...

Yes Blank I have heard of Ghost In The Shell and aware that it was acclaimed and stuff. I tried watching a bit of it once and it seemed too melodramatic for my taste. That was a long time ago though. What in your opinion is good about it?

I don't know. I kind of stumble upon anime in the middle stages of the series, and it always makes it really interesting to me, since I try figuring out who is what and why they do what they do. I stumbled upon Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex during the middle of it's second season. At that time there is a ton of stuff going on. I guess I enjoyed the plot. There are a few really good episodes, though not all of them are great. Just... start at episode 36 or 40 of the second season.

The drawbacks of the series is that everyone seems to have the same tone of voice, and the "Tachikomas" are like little super-hyperactive and annoying children. It's like a futuristic political/special operations series. I don't know, it just interested me. My point is that it's more complex than the average anime, I think.

Blank... the Manga that Ghost is based on is about two inches thick and on 8 1/2 X 11 paper.

And the tachikomas are actually potrayed quite well in comparison to their Manga counterparts (at one point a Tachikoma tries to incite the others to revolt and take over the world... the others end up making a fool out of the first one.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Animeniacs heed my call!

I've seen and liked Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo . Both were awesome IMO. Can you people recommend a new anime on a similar level of quality? (and style I guess but that is not so important)

Black Lagoon, Trigun and perhaps Witch Hunter Robin. Definetly.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Animeniacs heed my call!

Sailor Moon! It's a must-see for anyone who is not blind. Ever since a friend introduced it to me, I am absolutely hooked. It combines fantastic actions with important lessons of life. If you don't love Sailor Moon, you don't love anime. Period.

well the sailor moon that americans got was effectivly gutted... of course one of the things on the chopping blocks was in the the transformation scenes there was complete nudity.

If you don't love Sailor Moon, you
Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I dug Trigun, maybe you want to give that a go, Surrep. It's a good mixture of futuristic western goofiness and typical anime drama.

I kinda enjoyed Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust too, also a futuristic western with typical anime drama. What it lacks in goofiness it makes up for with vampires.

I've recently been acquiring some of the older classic anime series that I had never seen before such as the early Gundams and Macross. As for newer stuff, there are only a few decent shows this season, of which I have been watching Kiba and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion.

Neither really has a deep message, but both are entertaining and Geass gets fantastically dark at moments, though it is also plagued by the occasional mushy romance subplot. Kiba is basically a variation on Monster summoning with limited political maneuvering, where a boy is brought to a new world and due to his ability to summon one of the Key Spirits (many people are what is called shard casters, the more powerful of which can summon normal spirits. Key spirits are much more powerful.) and so is coopted as the savior of the nation he winds up in, while various other people who control Key spirits are put as saviors of their various nations (one of whom is a friend that came from the other world with him. Add in a secret plot of one nation to bring all the Key Spirits together because they believe it will resurrect their quasi-deific leader and a secret organization to stop them, and you can see where things are going. As of now, over 40 episodes have been subbed.

Code Geass on the other hand concerns the Britannian Empire (basically a British Imperial version of America) which has conquered much of the world and has renamed these territories numerically to weaken national feeling, i.e Japan becomes Section 11. The mother of one of the princes of the Empire, Lelouch, is assasinated in a terrorist attack that leaves his sister paralyzed from the waist down and so psychologically traumatized that she subconsciously chooses to go blind. His father uses this as an opportunity to send the Prince and Princess to Japan as hostages, and they are assumed to be dead when the series begins after Japan has been conquered. Then Lelouch is granted a mystical power by a strange woman who was being held by the military and begins a rebellion to overthrow his father and destroy the Empire. The best part is that Lelouch is an anti-hero along the lines of Hannibal Lector (though no cannibalism) in that he views everyone as pieces on a chessboard to be used and disposed of according to his will. Simply awesome. Subbing is ongoing and so far 15 episodes have been released.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Nothing really compares to Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, but I'll give a recommendation for Black Lagoon. The script-writer is pretty knowledgeable about historical events (as indicated in the speech of Dutch), and it's overall not bad.

Edited by Blank

Indeed. If someone doesn't know it already ( which I doubt :teehee:) Neon Genesis Evangelion is IMO clearly best anime ever, but there has been only one anime which nearly took the throne of best: And that's Cowboy Bebop

I don't like Samurai Champloo. However, I propably should give it second try. I watched few eps from very beginning only... whole idea of rap samurais was too much for me. I prefer Kenshin :p

Btw, is Ghost in Shell: Stand alone complex worth watching?

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Nothing really compares to Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, but I'll give a recommendation for Black Lagoon. The script-writer is pretty knowledgeable about historical events (as indicated in the speech of Dutch), and it's overall not bad.

Second season of ghost in the shell is pretty damn good in my opinion. The first season on the other hand just sucks hardcore. It's boring and way to confusing and complex and stuff. I was lost from the begining to the end pretty much. As for good animes i made a small list before, witch hunter robin and eureka seven are pretty good animes you should check out. Witch hunter robin can tend to be a little slow at times and a small portion of the witches have some...unrealistic powers but its a good solid show. eureka 7 is also really good. The only real beef i have with eureka seven is the little annoying bastard children and its mech themed and some ultra power bull****. But other than that its a really good anime. One of my top favs. Last exile is also really awesome in my opinion. it has good animation and characters and a cool theme. Only thing i can see wrong with last exile is the ending is a little disappointing but it does its job.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Eureka 7 sucks balls. Lame NGE rip-off. It doesn't have great AMV (like Euphoria) or great animation like RahXephon to justifie its existence. Besides, key makers are mostly same as in RahXephon. Meh, 1 clone = I can barely stand for this 2= D'oh!

Air is pretty good anime. Extremely beatiful and sad

Yeah, there's a little bit too much of a cosmic funk at the end of Last Exile. Pretty cool overall though. Watanabe's criticised for his lack of a single coherent plot but I prefer his structure, keeps things fresher.

Bebop had that great arc between Spike, Vicious and Julia too

Eureka 7 sucks balls. Lame NGE rip-off. It doesn't have great AMV (like Euphoria) or great animation like RahXephon to justifie its existence. Besides, key makers are mostly same as in RahXephon. Meh, 1 clone = I can barely stand for this 2= D'oh!

I wasn't that impressed by rahxephon, I actually kind of disliked it. The mech theme and the ending was pretty bad not to mention and the whole theme of different blood and shi was just stupid. I mean I do remember liking some stuff but as a whole just wasn't good. But im goign to check out Air and hopefully its good.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I wasn't that impressed by rahxephon, I actually kind of disliked it. The mech theme and the ending was pretty bad not to mention and the whole theme of different blood and shi was just stupid. I mean I do remember liking some stuff but as a whole just wasn't good. But im goign to check out Air and hopefully its good.

Personally, I liked RahXephon up until the few final episodes, then it ended and I was left wondering WTF just happened.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I can't stand for RahXephon either :shifty:

It however spawned Euphoria so its existence is justified only because of that.

AIR is great. Once you get past the drawing style (especially the eyes... I'm not fan of that drawing style in anime... ) its great and sad story. End is brain damager, though it's still much easier to undestand than ending of NGE or other that kind of anime

Edited by Xard

El Hazard is psychotic... a guy who gets more powerful as he sober's up and stops smoking... a girl who can always see the truth, a guy who can talk to anything.

It's worse than tenchi Muyo's hijinks.